Exhaust

Discussion in 'Honda D-Series' started by cikoleko, Thursday 1st Mar, 2018.

1. cikoleko Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    Any recommendations for EP2 1.6 full exhaust kits, I read that some of them come without catalytic converter so that you won't pass MOT etc. so where should I look and is it really worth I what are there really any difference in sound except extra BHP gains? Thanks.

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

If your vehicle rolled off the production line with a CAT, it will need to have one to get through an MOT now.

3. cikoleko Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    What about the clutch, I see a lot of people swap it for stage 1/2 but mechanic in a garage told me that it's not really needed unless I go racing which doesn't really make sense to me. Do I really need it if I'm not increasing the power? Thanks.

4. Dannylewis27 New Member Getting Started

You just need a Cat back exhaust. Most of them are but obvious it leaves your cat on so you pass MOT it just attaches on after it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

5. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

No need to fit an uprated clutch in a 1.6 Sport as you’ll never gain anywhere near the power that you would need to justify one. All that will happen is that your left leg will ache like hell

6. Mugen_fd2 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

London
    andy83 likes this.
  7. cikoleko Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    Not that I want to burn cash, just thinking about minor updates like air filter and exhaust so the car feels smoother as I read that the throttle response improves :Smile:
    So to clarify if I get exhaust centre section and back box that way the catalytic converter is untouched and it stays road legal right?

Pottermus likes this.
  8. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yes

9. Dannylewis27 New Member Getting Started

Yeah look up a picture of an exhaust system and find the cat. What ever you buy, make sure it doesn't remove the cat. Or you could just use one with a decay section and swap it back for MOT but. Not to he "one of those guys'.. However an exhaust and intake on an Ep2 isn't really going to make any difference other than sounding better. You'll need intake headers and exhaust to gain anything... Even then it will be minor without tuning the ECU afterwards.

But good luck buddy

cikoleko likes this.
  10. cikoleko Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    I found 4-1 exhaust manifold which says "Direct bolt-on on fitment to standard catalytic converter or aftermarket decat" is that the one?
    But then is aftermarket manifold any different from stock? I.e. different layout and gases travel quicker or something?
    Thanks.

11. Dannylewis27 New Member Getting Started

Yeah that's what you want. That's just the header though? Have a look on ebay for an exhaust bundle it'll probably come with a decat section so you can decide whether to use it or not.
    Something like a skunk 2 or n1 spoon if you want rasp.

Yes it's different. Aftermarket parts allow more airflow. More air in = more air out = power. I've done the math

cikoleko likes this.
  12. Hondalad Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Steve Derbyshire
    Also a 4-1 manifold is normally used for top RPM gains and a 4-2-1 is better for midrange.