Service & Maintenance Extended warranty.

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by 155695, Monday 7th Sep, 2015.

1. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Anybody got any views on this.

When I bought the car last May, the salesman strongly advised against purchasing it stating "Hondas don't go wrong". Obviously this isn't the case but he said that it is possible to take it out anytime up to the expiry of the standard 3 year warranty.

The reason I ask, is that when my Yeti was a year outside the warranty, the ECU packed up. This cost North of £1000 but to give Skoda their due, they did meet 60% of the cost. I am still insure as to whether to take out the additional warranty on my CR-V

Keith

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I would buy it you want total piece of mind, however your car is a petrol and nothing really goes wrong with them apart from tear and wear which are not covered by extended warranties.

Based on that decided.

FirstHonda likes this.
  3. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I would also factor in how skilled/able you are to carry out work yourself.

4. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Thanks for the replies.

CJ's comment pretty much echoes what the salesman said. He was either very honest or there is no commission to be had from selling extended warranties. In this case I think it was the former and it was honest advice which i think I'll take.

Keith

5. FirstHonda Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Ed Wiltshire
    I'd make the decision closer to the time. That way you won't buy an extension for a car that you may sell at or shortly after 3 years.

I haven't bothered with my CR-V. I had an extra year (from new) with my Accord but never used it.

6. Big H Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Poole
    I simply wanted peace of mind and hopefully no nasty surprises, so bought 5 years warranty along with 5 years service.
    It gives me recovery and since I want to go abroad where I'll also have cover, it made sense.

Nels likes this.
  7. Toggerefc Premium Member Club Supporter

All the very best to 2017 everyone. I have a 1st M.O.T due at the end of the month and I havebeen advised with the M.O.T that my air conditioning also needs servicing at an extra charge to my service. I have a five year service package with my C.R.V. I thought that this wold have been part of my servicepackage. Apparently they re - charge the A.C system and change a few washers is this really necessary as i don't think it has really been used.

8. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Personal preference really.

In an ideal world it is best to have it regarded every couple of years as the system operates at its optimum level. It also prevents premature degradation of rubber components such as the pipe seals. I'd have it done as long as it's no more than £50.

If you're like my dad, he will not use air-con no matter how hot it is outside as it apparently uses excess fuel, then there's no point.

MickyB and Toggerefc like this.
  9. Toggerefc Premium Member Club Supporter

Thanks for the advice Pottermus. I do find that air conditioning has it's uses and in my opinion it's uses are mostly seasonal. So it's only used for a few months a year. The price I thought for the air conditioning service was a bit steep at £75. Honda Clitheroe. Might just look at another Honda garage and see if they can do it for a bit less.

10. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    A couple of interesting points in this thread. I, too, am considering buying 2 or 3 years extra Honda warrantee on my 4 year old car. It had one year as part of the Honda Approved package when I bought it last February so I could now cover years 5,6 and 7. There was a flier in a letter from the dealer offering one year for £275, two for £495 and three for £649 (all on 10 months interest free).
    On the subject of servicing, I have just had a 12+ service done at my local dealer and was amazed to see that the fuel filter was not part of the standard service, but a £100 extra cost option. I understood that an annual change was vital on my previous I-CTDI FR-V, is this not the case with the I-DTEC?

11. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    To answer my own question on diesel filters, a look in the service book reveals it should be drained on odd number years and changed on even numbers (or by mileage if you do more than 12.5k p.a.) That means that in normal circumstances it should have been changed during this year's service (4 years).
    This is not reflected in the fixed price servicing menu card, so a read of your service book is in order!
    Mine was changed on pre delivery service last January so isn't actually due until next service at 5 years or 50k.
    BTW Westgate Honda in Grimsby tell me they use 0/30 Castrol oil on diesels.

12. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    I have bitten the bullet and bought the 3 year Honda Happiness Warranty. This is either the best £649 I have ever spent OR a total waste of money, only time will tell. At least I have 3 years full Continental breakdown cover and 3 years peace of mind even if nowt goes wrong.

Pete C.

legend-ary and Pottermus like this.
  13. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Most Honda dealers will provide Honda/AA roadside assistance & recovery after warrant has expired provided you have the car serviced with them but you have to ask.

14. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    That doesn't sound like bad deal at all, especially on a 2nd hand car. My extra 2 years, making 5 in all cost £599 on a brand new car. I also have 5 years free servicing, so the intention is to keep it for 5 years and start again but I don't know what with at this early stage.

Keith

15. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    I already have Continental breakdown cover with my bank account and my bikes are covered twice each, so the Honda breakdown is not really necessary (although it does cover the car for any driver). It is the 3 years peace of mind that swung it for me as, like Keith, I intend keeping the car until it runs out then changing it. If I am still towing by then it will not be a Honda.

Pete C.

16. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cyprus Panos Nicosia
    The EW reminds me time share in that you pay in front for something, a service, you may not use.

17. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Just like all insurance policies then.

155695 and PanayiotisPal like this.