Tyres & Wheels False DWS alarms

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by 155695, Thursday 14th Apr, 2016.

1. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    I've mentioned this on here before but I can't find the post now.

A few times not long after I bought the car, the DWS alarmed for no reason. I re-set it and eventually it settled down. I thought I might have similar problems when I fitted my winter wheels set-up (17" Dezents with 60 Nokians) but when I changed over I re-set the system and it never alarmed once. I have now changed back to the original wheels/tyres (19" Orions with 45 Yokohamas) and after re-setting it, it has now alarmed twice when on a run of 60-80 miles for no reason, i.e. tyre pressures are as you would expect, that is somewhat higher than as set but nothing out of the ordinary after a longish run.

It seems (like me) it just doesn't like the wheel/tyre set up the car came with. IIRC 1st Honda had a similar problem when he got his new but as far as I know he hasn't reported a re-occurrence.

The car is going in for its 1st service on 18 May, so I'll mention it to the dealer then but in the meantime I wondered if anyone else has experienced this and if they found a reason/remedy.

Keith

2. FirstHonda Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Ed Wiltshire
    You are quite right @155695 - I did have this exact issue with my (short-lived) first CR-V. I haven't experienced it with my current one (the replacement).

I'm sure there was a software update to cure the issue, but what is odd is that it affects the original wheels and tyres. I was told by my dealer - who I trust - that the system is sensitive to temperature changes, so it could just be the fact that it is much warmer all of a sudden.

3. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Well it has got to 18 in the last couple of days so I suppose it could be that but we'll see what the dealer has to say.

Keith

4. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Just been out and checked the tyre pressures, all OK so I tried to re-set the system and it wouldn't have until about the 5th attempt when it suddenly came up "completed". I tried to re-set it again just to see what would happen and again it wouldn't have it, however the warning has now cleared.

It's obvious therefore that there is a problem with the warning system. In a way that's a good result because I now know it is nothing to do with the tyres and the dealer can sort it when I take it to be serviced. If it alarms in the meantime, if I can't re-set it l'll just ignore it (having checked of course that there isn't actually a puncture - sod's law and all that).

Keith

5. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Out of interest I just checked the last Which? members' car survey and the commonest problem reported on the 4th generation CR-V was with the DWS. Apparently 7% of responders had problems with this item. So in CR-V terms it seems fairly common.

Keith

6. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Well, with the deepest sense of resignation, I have had to resurrect this thread.

Having experienced the false DWS syndrome on my MY 2014 Black Edition and having finally had it corrected with a software upgrade at the dealers, I (wrongly it now appears) assumed that with my new MY 2015 SE Navi Honda would by now have resolved this known and common problem. Not so.

The car now has just over 1100 miles on it since new in November last year and yesterday I took it on its 1st long run of 150 miles each way. On the outward journey and about 100 miles in, the dreaded bong was heard as the DWS alarmed. Now, I have never really got over the DWS issue on my 1st car in terms of having complete confidence in it, so in January I treated myself to a TyrePal monitoring system and boy am I glad I did! A quick glance at the TyrePal monitor revealed all four tyres were all round about what I had set them at, and their temperatures were also normal. That saved me an unnecessary stop on the motorway.

Upon reaching my destination, I reset the DWS and unsurprisingly, 50 miles into the return journey, the DWS duly alarmed again with the same result as above.

I find it incredulous that with the engineering history it has Honda can't get on top of this issue. I have another long journey coming up at the end of the month and if it's still playing up it'll be back to the dealer. In the meantime I'm very glad I bought the TyrePal. It really is very good and provides a true real-time status of the tyre pressures and temperatures for each individual tyre.

Keith

7. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cyprus Panos Nicosia
    I had the same. There was a nail in the tyre and the pressure dropped to about 2.0 bar.

honda_saj likes this.
  8. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    I venture to suggest you didn't have "the same" on the basis your alarm was genuine whilst mine never have been.

Keith

9. FirstHonda Moderator Staff Team

I totally agree with you Keith - a company the size of Honda should have been able to sort this years ago. Frankly it's pathetic.

I had a nail in a tyre last year, and ignored it for a few days believing it was the TPMS playing up. I only found the nail as I'd booked it into Honda to get the TPMS fixed!

I've had no issues since the software update, but for you to have this issue on a brand new CR-V? Baffling.

PanayiotisPal and 155695 like this.
  10. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cyprus Panos Nicosia
    Keith you need to re-calibrate your tyre pressure. To do this you need to book an appointment, fill your tyres with the correct pressure, and then go to your appointment for TPMS (DWS) calibration. It is only possible with HDS.

I am not an expert, but I think this is the procedure.

And lets go back to basics I will explain again the parametrization of electronics.

This should be done manually as in my Audi. I put the correct pressure in my tyres and using the radio I register the correct pressure in order to monitor the TPMS (DWS) from these 4 registered values (per tyre). I drive some kilometers and it is done.

I will add this problem to my 7 point list. So this is no 8.

Once you do this correctly, you will not have to worry again. Good luck.

Last edited: Sunday 5th Mar, 2017
    honda_saj likes this.
  11. Hatter Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Peter Rotherham
    Agree. Honda make great engines and cars but very poor in the software department.

PanayiotisPal likes this.
  12. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    As far as I am concerned if the DWS is set correctly and the tyre pressures are correct then it shouldn't alarm. Mine does so in my view it is faulty in some way. As mentioned above, I had exactly the same problem with my last CR-V which was only cured with a software update. My point is that by now, knowing that the problem exists (which they clearly do) it should have been sorted. I've now re-set it twice as per the handbook and if it alarms erroneously again it's going back to the dealer.

I have absolutely no intention of fiddling about with tyre pressures, parametrization of electronics (whatever that is) etc. etc. and at the same time probably giving Honda an excuse not to honour the warranty.

Keith

13. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cyprus Panos Nicosia
    Keith to summarize what I said before,
    1. Book an appointment at your Honda dealer for TPMS/DWS calibration
    2. Put the correct pressure to all your tyres before visiting your dealer.
    3. The dealer will calibrate your TPMS with their diagnostic (HDS). The current tyre pressures will register as new monitoring values (per wheel).

Number 3 has nothing to do with erasing the TPMS error that you can do by yourself. This is only erasing a fault.

It would have been nice, if when erasing the TPMS fault the current tyre pressures would register as new bench-marking/monitoring values (after driving few miles) but my understanding is that Honda did not think about this.

So you need to go to your dealer who can do this for you because they have the diagnostic (which resets the TPMS monitoring values).

How can you loose the warranty?? I think I got you confused again, because I have this ability :Smile: to mention examples of how to get this technology better which confuses people.

14. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    I think you're saying exactly what I said but in a more convoluted way, i.e. take it back to the dealer and let them sort it out. I just object to having to have a 40 mile round journey and waste several hours of my time rectifying something that should never have arisen in the 1st place.

Keith

Hatter, PanayiotisPal and FirstHonda like this.
  15. Fredde Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sweden Fredde Nykvarn
    I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago. One alarm a day...

I went to the dealer and he explained that they can set the wheel size, nothing more. BUT they can set it to "aftermarket wheels" and then it is a bit less sensitive. That solved the problem for me.

The system works like this:
    When you hit "Calibrate" in the MID you actually calibrates the TPMS. For approx. 25 minutes it monitors the wheels and then sets the new value.

PanayiotisPal likes this.
  16. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cyprus Panos Nicosia
    Page 326 on 4th Generation. It basically it says
    1. Inflate to recommended pressure
    2. Initialize DWS.
    SEL/Reset button initializes the TPMS, so this should store the pressure on each tyre. It is not just an error eraser as I thought. (I thought that sel/reset erases the fault only). I guess initialization means calibration???

Fredde has the correct answer. His experience is valuable at least to me it is. Cheers. I will try it when I upgrade my tyres to 235 60 R18. Maybe this also adjusts the speedometer too to the tyre diameter

Fredde likes this.
  17. C5CONVERT Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom David Bedford
    Interesting thread. Touch wood, not a problem I have had on my 2012 2.2 diesel manual EX so far. However, a friend has come to visit for the weekend in his 2013 2.2 diesel manual EX and he has the following issue:

1 No problems until a punctured tyre was replaced with a new one (so new tyre on rear nearside and originals on other wheels which have covered 36,000 miles so well-worn). Probably about 7mm tread on the new tyre and 3-4mm on the originals.

2 When the new tyre was fitted my friend went through the recalibration routine, and has repeated this several times since.

3 After 6 or 7 miles the DWS warning comes back, even though all the tyre pressures are OK.

Re-calibration does not solve the problem so, as detailed above, it looks as if this warning system is not fit for purpose.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a cure other than the "aftermarket wheels" fix mentioned above?

I am hoping for a puncture-free life myself and will replace all four tyres at once (as I have swapped front to rear at 30,000 miles to even out wear).

David

18. FirstHonda Moderator Staff Team

@C5CONVERT

There is a software update for the TPMS system, so check that's been done first.

19. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    As Ed says there is a software update that cured the problem on my MY14, so it should be available for a 2013 registered vehicle. He needs to go to a main dealer and have it checked out. Mind you, as I mention above, the spectre of false alarms has returned on my MY15 CR-V. It would appear that they (Honda) just can't get this relatively simple function to work as it should.

I'm really pleased I've fitted the Tyrepal system as all the car's DWS alarms can now be checked instantly merely by a glance without stopping the car.

Keith

20. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cyprus Panos Nicosia
    When TPMS error (DWS) appears, their maybe a problem with the correct functioning of VSA and AWD. So I would get TPMS (DWS) fixed ASAP.

Last edited: Sunday 12th Mar, 2017