Fitting Polycarb / Lexan windows.

Discussion in 'Track Talk' started by dc2blair, Tuesday 6th Jan, 2015.

1. dc2blair Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Hey guys,

So i had a full set ( front and rear) polycarbonate windows arrive the other day for the race car.

I've held it in the channel where the window used to sit, and it fits real nice. My big question is how the hell do they attach !

Id really like to get a few proper fixings in there (nuts and bolts, or pot rivets) before applying a bond like tiger seal. If possible id try to use as little bond as possible, if i have to reshell the car id like to be able to remove them again.

Any help,advice or pictures of how you have fitted it would be greatly appreciated :Grin: .

Many Thanks

Blair

2. shuttle Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

You can cut the bonded polycarb s out easy enough if you bond them just use correct sealer ,

Acw can supply you with a stainless steel fitting kit if you would rather bolt them

Check them out

3. T_8000 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I just bought a set from acw. They kindly give some fitting guidlines which state to fit into the channel, then drill two 4mm holes in each bottom corner and screw/bolt to the frame.

I havent done this yet though, and may pay someone to fit them for me in case it goes horribly wrong and im out of pocket.

4. dc2blair Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Mine came from ACW but i didnt seem to get any instructions.

The back im fine with, im happy cutting out the old, and bonding in the new.

Its the fronts i have issues with, especially the bottom of the fronts.

T800. you say bolt them to the frame, are you talking about the window runners ? which are no longer there ?

5. T_8000 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

That's what it says in the instructions. However they are most probably generic for all makes/models. I did think the same and is why i'm leaning more toward professional fitting.

6. gammy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just drill holes all round, seal them and rivet them in.

7. Mr Scott Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

some sheets from B&Q cut to size and some rivets 

perspex3_zps6eb7fbad.

8. dc2blair Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Just to update this a bit. I have a plan now. Im going to use Rivnuts to secure it in, so i can bolt it in real good. I plan to use about 5 per window, with a few countersunk bolts holding the bottom in place.

Ill put a picture up once done :Grin:

9. Knightsy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scott what was it called at b&q?

Because the only polycarbonate sheeting I could find was the honeycomb like roofing sheets :Frown:

10. Captain Cray Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Re. B&Q  plastic windows. Are you sure this is the stuff to use? It may look the same but certainly is not Lexan. Lexan will NOT shatter, whereas I bet the B&Q stuff will if it's given a knock.

A note to Knightsy!   I suggest you go to Ipswich Plastics and see what they have to say.

11. Knightsy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cheers captain :Smile: thought it was like lexan polycarbonate. I was going to just order lexan Windows tbh but I will check Ipswich plastics.

12. Law Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Couldn't you fix a sheet of clear vinyl on the inside before fitting?

13. markcivic1981 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

To act as a lamination ? I'm not sure if that would offer much protection in the event of shattering. I have lexans in my own car. You can lay it on concrete and hit it with a hammer and i will not shatter. Safety first and all that....

14. SCKAPE Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Last edited by a moderator: Monday 9th Feb, 2015
  15. FA154L Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

16. Captain Cray Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just watch these demos. to see why Lexan has to be the prime choice for YOUR car. Cheap secondary glazing type materials are NOT an option & offer little, or no, safety features whatsoever. You might as well use "stretch and seal" fro Tesco!

17. markcivic1981 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Or bin bags if you want window tints !

18. nathan_UNIOFJDM Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

there's a guy with a build thread on 6th Generation section has put metal pins in the bottom so the window can be dropped in the heat and use a window net. Thought that was a good option

19. Mr Scott Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

safety ?!? screw safety mines purely to stop the rain coming inside lol

20. Captain Cray Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Mr Scott.  If this is really your attitude I feel very sad for you!  If saving weight is your motive maybe alloy, polyurethene or plywood is what you need? I suggest you keep your windscreen as standard, but as a weight saving you could replace that with one of the fore-mentioned materials incorparating a see-through panel. As you use your machine for straightline sprinting this should not be a problem.