Tools Four wheel drive not working.

Discussion in 'Tools & Equipment' started by BlackBess1, Saturday 3rd Mar, 2018.

1. BlackBess1 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mandy KINGSBRIDGE
    Hi all,
    After a medical emergency with my mother early on Wednesday morning where she had to go to hospital, and a great deal of snow by the time she was allowed home, I drove them home in my CR-V ls s reg and got to the point of no return on a steep hill going down into the valley where they live, my 4 wheel drive didn't kick in. We made it down the hill rather faster than I would have wished. I managed to keep her upright in the high hedged lane but had no traction at all. Any idea what might be the problem please?

2. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Others would be far more knowledgeable on this than I but the 4WD on the CR-V only engages when the front wheels spin faster than the rears due to the way the rear diff uses fluid pressure to engage the clutches to allow power to the rear wheels at least this was the case in older CR-V's

If you were heading down hill meeting this condition would be rather difficult.

The electronic version I have no experience with and am unsure if the hill decent 'mode' uses the 4WD. The hill decent control is described as 'When the driver lifts off the brake at below 8 km/h, the system will automatically hold the speed for the duration of the descent.' I believe but am happy to be corrected this was on the automatic versions and possibly only uses the ABS/VSA systems to work. Maybe some of the newer CR-V owners can chime in and let us know.

BlackBess1 likes this.
  3. Sandy52 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Sandy NORWICH
    Honda all wheel drive explained | awd cars, 4x4 vehicles, 4wd trucks, 4motion, quattro, xDrive, SH-AWD, Haldex, Torsen, wiki - How it works

This website gives a technical description but if you were going down hill effectively sliding then I don't know how it would work. Any 4WD might struggle if there is no grip, as on ICE.
    DId you try using a lower gear? Try using the brakes? or just hang on and foot off the pedal.
    There is a number of videos on YouTube showing the Honda CR-V in 4WD offroad and snow mode.

andy83, BlackBess1 and Nels like this.
  4. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The CR-V is all wheel drive, not four wheel drive. Decent tyres will have more of an effect on your traction.

I’ve driven to the highest village in Britain during a snow storm without even as much as a hint of wheelspin in mine. All about the tyres and by that I don’t mean you have to have a brand name on the sidewall

AA9030D8-DBE6-4936-8B33-CEFBCBC83E68.

BlackBess1 likes this.
  5. BlackBess1 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mandy KINGSBRIDGE
    - - - Updated - - -
    Thanks for your reply. Will have a look on you tube!

6. Bounder Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Huan County Cork
    A set of winter tyres in these conditions will probably blow your mind.
    This is the first year in many that I am not running either good quality All-seasons or Winter tyres, and tbh I am now contemplating getting another set of alloys and using them for a winter set, there have been a few days previous to this that I have wished I had Allseasons or Winters due to snow or slush and this has made me reconsider using 2 sets, my wife's car before this always had 2 sets and they made a massive difference to handling in poor conditions.
    I'd consider getting some Nokian Weatherproofs over Michelin Crossclimates for where I am driving due to better wet performance.

Nels and BlackBess1 like this.
  7. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Until you've run winter tyres, you'll wonder why you didn't do it earlier.

Do it.
    You can then swap back and forth as the weather dictates.

BlackBess1 likes this.
  8. Bounder Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Huan County Cork
    I had two sets of wheels before with my last car, one set of steels and a set of alloys, I have a set of 16" Civic steels but they won't fit over the calipers on the front, without using spacers, the clearance is too small.
    So I will have to go for a set of alloys which don't fare as well with road salt.
    Pain in the butt but I guess I have a few months to look for a set and some new winter rubber, I have a set of Pilot sport 4 on the way to me at this minute.