Electrical & Lights FR-V Interior lights

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by naf123, Thursday 6th Oct, 2016.

1. naf123 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Nathan London
    Hi,

I've noticed that when unlocking the car the interior light at the front (where the front row is ) don't come on . Switching off the engine - it doesn't come on . Opening doors - it doesn't come on .

However the light at the back near the boot does work and comes on when i switch off engine and powers off eventually when locking the doors....

Switching on the interior light manually works . So what am i missing ? Is there a switch that I need to be aware of ?

Many thanks

2. DrSam Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
    Lights at the front are manual only.

3. Ben28 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Ben Shetland
    I would say either there is a fault at the switch or a fault in the 'timed' wire to the switch, to the front interior light.
    You could try swapping the front / rear interior light units over for a test.
    Cheers
    B

4. naf123 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Nathan London
    Thanks guys. Dr Sam says switches are manual at the front - seems that apply to some cars ? How do I know what system I have ?

Thanks

5. Ben28 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Ben Shetland
    Am I correct in saying your front interior light has 3 positions...
    1 (towards drivers side) off
    2 (middle) automatic with door open
    3 (towards passenger side) always on
    - - - Updated - - -
    Sorry just re read... Do you mean the ones by the rear view mirror? If so then yes they're manual.
    I thought you meant the 'middle' interior light. :focus:

6. naf123 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Nathan London
    I have some kind of switch at the back ....the front doesn't seem to have switches . Just press on the light ....there are two lights next to each other ...

I would take a picture but not near the car at the moment ...

Edit - just saw your post ... Yes by the rear view mirror ! So that's all clarified thanks very much . Will post picture for people to know in future....when i get to car !

Bones126 likes this.
  7. Bones126 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

England Dave Birmingham
    s168, Auto Ali, Ben28 and 1 other person like this.
  8. s168 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    Hi Bones126,

Did you fit these to your Honda FR-V? I'm looking to replace my crappy filament ones. The link you gave doesn't exist anymore, but are these the same ones?
    2x White High Power 6W COB LED 31mm 269 SV8 Festoon Bulb Interior Dome Map Light | eBay

Thanks!

9. Bones126 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

England Dave Birmingham
    s168 likes this.
  10. s168 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    Does anyone have a comprehensive list of all the standard interior and exterior bulb types for a UK model, 2008 petrol automatic FR-V? For example I wanted to upgrade my boot lamp bulb and think it's a W5W but the etching on the bulb has faded so can't be sure. Am looking to see what alternative I can (SMD/LED) bulbs I can replace the existing ones with. Thanks!

11. Bones126 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

England Dave Birmingham
    Unfortunately I don't have a list with me, Until I can find the one I used the best I can offer is I found for the interior going with COB LED's was brighter. If you remove the bulb and measure it there are plenty on ebay where you choose the length.
    if I find the list, I'll post it up.

s168 likes this.
  12. s168 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    Yep, they are the 31mm ones. Fitted them to my car last week and wow, what a difference they make. As I bought 4 of them, I fitted 2 to my FR-V and one in my wife's Civic and have one spare. They are very bright and we're both very happy with the change. I've not changed the front map reading lights to LED though as I think the warm white filament bulbs there are fine as they are.

Anyone changed the front lights to either LEDs or HIDs? I'm tempted to change to HIDs as they seem cheaper (kits are under £30 on eBay) and I'm also not sure if there are any possible issues with CANBUS errors that's reported with LED installations with some vehicles.

Bones126 likes this.
  13. Bones126 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

England Dave Birmingham
    Glad you’re happy with the bulbs.
    As for LED HEADLAMPS, there are threads on here if you search for them. I have them fitted and no problem with can us as I don,t believe the FR-V has it. The bulbs I have are no longer available though atmo.

14. s168 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    What bulbs did you install and are they DRL ones? Are you able to find details of the ones you installed online? Also how long ago did you fit them?

15. s168 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    Right, I've ordered new LED W5W bulbs for my FR-V and my missus' Civic, to get more light when the boot lid is open. Also ordered some LED 7440 bulbs for the rear reverse and fog lamps. Hoping this will add some much needed extra visibility when reversing due to the tinted windows in my 2008 FR-V.

Anyone replaced all of their car's exterior bulbs from halogen / filament ones to LED? If so which ones do you recommend buying?

Bones126 likes this.
  16. Bones126 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

England Dave Birmingham
    Sounds good :Thumbup:
    If you check out my garage entry and moddifictaions you’ll be able to see all the bulbs I’ve replaced for LED. :Niceone:

s168 and andy83 like this.
  17. s168 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    Hey @Bones126, did you change your front headlight bulbs to LED ones that has a fan built into each bulb, or ones that have cooling copper cables coming out of the back of them? I'm wondering if you have the former and whether that interfered with your radio or other signals? Read some reviews online of some LED replacement headlight bulbs which causes radio signal issues.

18. Bones126 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

England Dave Birmingham
    Hi there, the headlights are LED but have neither cooling fans or copper wire. They just have heat defuser fins attached to the back. I have had no problems with them or any other interference.

19. s168 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    Are they these ones? If so, seems they're not available to buy anymore.

Not showing for some reason... It's an Amazon.co.uk link to "NEVERLAND-Headlight-Conversion-Driving-9600LM/dp/B01EUZ3BNI/"

Bones126 likes this.
  20. Bones126 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

England Dave Birmingham
    Yeah, those are the ones. Noticed that the other day as I was looking for some for the Civic. Hoping they come back on sale.