Feedback/Help Good answers needed

Discussion in 'Feedback, Help & Suggestions' started by as13, Sunday 3rd Dec, 2017.

1. as13 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Bloxham
    The time has come where her indoors wants to trade in the beloved Accord 2.4 2011 for a new Civic 1.5.
    I'm looking for some good reasons why not to trade in and to the Civic?
    So far I've started with the accord engine has only just run in at 55k
    So help me please

2. 1066Boy Premium Member Club Supporter

Depends on your height but I found getting in and out of the newer Civics a bit tight on headroom. The space inside is ok but its is as if they have
    made the door smaller or the roof lower. No such problem with my 8 Gen.

as13 likes this.
  3. i-DSI Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Ask yourself the question: 'what's wrong with the Accord?'.
    Answer = nothing ?
    There you have your reason.

Nels, Mugen_fd2 and as13 like this.
  4. vincemince Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

If you keep the Accord for another say 5 years
    What is the cost on trade in £x for the Civic and 5 years running cost.
    What is the cost on keeping the Accord £y running for 5 years
    Is it worth the difference x-y
    Save the additional cost for later down the line ?

Take the Civic for a test drive if you already haven't and gauge if it's worth it :zen::zen::zen:

Mugen_fd2 likes this.
  5. as13 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Bloxham
    Thanks this is a good one, when we test drive I'll make sure I bang my head getting in and out
    - - - Updated - - -
    These are good points, but try and explain this to a woman is hard work, it's like trying explain why do you need so many shoe's

andy83 likes this.
  6. i-DSI Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Did you already ask why she wants to change?
    Money is normally not involved in changing such a car. I mean it doesn't matter if one of these two options would be cheaper or more expensive. In general changing your current car for a new one is BY FAR more expensive than keeping your current car. Your current car value will not descend that much anymore each year. The new one on the other hand... pffff.
    I have driven far over 200k km with my 2011 Accord. I don't see any reason why to change it for a Civic.

7. tomwillie Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Tom Royston
    If you get a quote from CARWOW & subscribe you will be able to get a free CAP valuations on your Accord & also on Current Civics when second hand. Most cars halve in value every 3 years so you can do the sums. It will almost certainly be more economic to keep the Accord for longer, sell privately & then buy a new Civic later using prices from CARWOW to negotiate, although I part exchanged my car, that's what I did as not all dealers participate in the CARWOW scheme. I believe CARWOW may have a way of assisting in the selling a second hand car separately.

I am 5ft 7in & have the drivers seat set to its highest level in my manual Civic 1.5 Turbo Prestige & have absolutely no problem getting in & out of the car & having to duck, whereas I do in my wife's 4th Generation Honda CR-V.

Civic performance is at least equal to previously owned 8th Generation manual Accord 2.4EXi which averaged circa 33mpg whereas Civic is achieving 45mpg. The 1.5 Turbo Civic fuel consumption is about same as 1.0 Turbo, road testers reported 42mpg for both but for CVT versions in both engines the fuel consumption was mid thirties.

Civic has more nimble handling than the Accord which was excellent motorway cruiser but a bit of a tank round town. Ride quality is similar in both cars, my Accord had 18in wheels though, but Civic does not feel as substantial as the Accord did. The Civic has an excellent manual transmission, clutch is lighter than Accord and both suffered from a bit of rev hang when changing gear. This is easy driven around if you do not rush gear changes. When changing down on inclines I slightly ease off the throttle & then rev match when gently letting the clutch back in.

Civic has more safety features than the Accord. If you value a space saver spare wheel, as I do, you will have to get the 1.5 Prestige model.

The Civic Prestige model also has an opening sunroof which does not create any buffeting but there is fare bit of wind noise over 50mph.

I preferred the heating controls & sat nav system in the Accord to those in the Civic.

More rear leg room in the Civic than Accord, its similar to that of a 4th Generation CR-V. Slightly more luggage space in Civic Prestige than the Accord & Civic has the versatility of being a hatch back.

In the 10th Generation Civic section I am going to link to some You Tube videos on the Honda 1.5 Turbo engine. It does have a lot of plastic trunking which I hope is better quality than is used in BMW's.

If you wait long enough we may leave the EU & then if manufacturers are not subject to their CO2 restrictions the latest Accord may then be imported, it looks a super car from what's on You Tube from USA.

vincemince and as13 like this.
  8. i-DSI Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    (Off topic, I know, but I feel the urge to react. Sorry.)
    Going backwards in time?? CO2 restrictions will definitely become more severe. Germany tries to keep them high at the moment, but it migh mean the end of their car industry if they miss this train.
    Global warming does not stop at borderlines. A shame we're not on the same page. We do are on the same globe and there's only one as far as I know.

9. as13 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Bloxham
    Thank you for this comprehensive review of the Civic against my want to keep accord , with comparisons like this it makes you want to jump ship

10. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Things not mentioned so far:
    The Accord is Japanese built - You can't get any better than that!
    The K24 in the Accord is only just run-in. She's got many more miles in her yet.
    The K24/Accord will be far smoother than the Civic.
    Some of the money saved by not swapping over yet can be used for her 'Handbags & Gladrags'!
    The rest...holidays and enjoying life.

1066Boy and i-DSI like this.
  11. i-DSI Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Correct Nels,
    If you change that kind of Accord for a Civic, it's all about some details. You only change it because you just want to change. There's nothing wrong with such legend on 4 wheels.

12. tomwillie Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Tom Royston
    The 1.5 Turbo engine in the Civic is every bit as smooth as was in Accord 2.4 EXi, the acceleration is linear just like a NA engine, very impressive.

Last edited by a moderator: Monday 4th Dec, 2017
  13. as13 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Bloxham
    That was one of the reasons I choose the accord it being Japanese built, but this means nothing to her indoors
    The accord to me is a hard at to follow smooth with its power delivery, bullet proof engine, with the only things that have been replaced being tyres, tyres and a set of brake pads

Nels likes this.
  14. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I generally keep my Accords for about 10 years.
    By that time, they have advanced so much, it really is time to change.

15. tomwillie Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Another reason for keeping Accord is to wait to try Honda's new range of Hybrid & Electric vehicles.
    Honda | CR-V Hybrid | Electric Vision | Hybrid Cars
    The CR-V is a more substantial car than the Civic & in that regard is more similar to an Accord. The new CR-V is due out next year & should have both 1.5 Turbo petrol engine & a Hybrid version.

16. stevenj New Member Getting Started

Australia Steven Sydney
    Hi guys, new member here. I drive 2012 Accord Euro (CU2) 2.4 litre 6M/T. You may not know that the annoying rev hang can be removed. I have devised a fix and have a video to show the difference before and after. Am I allowed to enter a link to YouTube video here?

17. tomwillie Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Yes, but if fix requires use of Hondata Flash Pro or KTUNER the ECU changes are logged & if any problems with engine or transmission warranty/goodwill from Honda will be void.

18. tomwillie Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Another reason for keeping Accord is to wait to try Honda's new range of Hybrid & Electric vehicles.
    Honda | CR-V Hybrid | Electric Vision | Hybrid Cars
    The CR-V is a more substantial car than the Civic & in that regard is more similar to an Accord. The new CR-V is due out next year & should have both 1.5 Turbo petrol engine & a Hybrid version. Hybrids are only economic for around town where regenerative braking recharges batteries. On long journeys the batteries run down & you are then lugging dead battery weight. Check Honest John web site Real Fuel Consumption section for Toyota Prius & Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV

as13 likes this.
  19. stevenj New Member Getting Started

Australia Steven Sydney
    I am well aware of possible warranty issues with ECU flashes and that is why I devised my own hardware solution I called QREVS. There are 2 videos on YouTube; one of my own 2012 Accord (K24 engine 6 M/T) and the other of 2011 Civic Si (K20 engine 6 M/T).
    Attached is a graph showing faster drop of RPM in the Civic when throttle is closed:

Attached Files:

20. tomwillie Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Device might well save a fraction of a second for each upward gear change, so useful for track days, but not worth risk of voiding warranty/goodwill. Rev hang is inbuilt to help reduce emissions & is easy to adapt to in every day normal driving. @Ichiban ET al might like to make Rev Hang a separate topic?