Detailing Gtechniq C5 Wheel Armour

Discussion in 'Detailing & Cleaning' started by kazh72, Thursday 12th Oct, 2017.

1. kazh72 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    So after the success with the Sonax C36 and putting my newly acquired 18” Delta wheels in for a full refurb, I plan to protect them by applying a sealant.

Going to give Gtechniq C5 a try. The C5 is due to arrive today and the wheels should be done today/tomorrow so will apply and do a write up with pics over the weekend.

3F51E3C3-98E3-463F-8914-B919169BC3F4.

If anyone has any experience/advice, it would be much appreciated.

2. kazh72 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    So, a quick recap. A while back, I purchased off eBay a set of Delta wheels without thinking. On collection found that the wheels hadn't had much love with rust on the inside, cheaply refurbished in some grey-ish colour and through the process had lost its diamond-cut finish.

Then £400 later, the wheels have been fully refurbished and powder coated in Anthracite and diamond-cut finished. Looking much better. So before I put them away for the winter, they need to get protected.
    IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0004.JPG

So this is the full before image.

IMG_0010.JPG

Following the instructions, I used the Gtechniq Panel Wipe to clean the wheels.

IMG_0007.JPG IMG_0005.JPG
    I thought this was an overkill since the wheels have just been refurbished but I was totally wrong. The microfibre cloth after the wipe was very dirty.
    IMG_0006.JPG

As many reviews of the Gtechniq C5 stated, the product is very easy to apply but difficult to know where it has been applied. Making sure you've covered the wheel surface was very difficult. Also as you wear gloves, it's hard to know how much product is on the applicator.

They look pretty amazing. It's hard to see but the surface is very smooth to the touch.
    IMG_0008.JPG

Final stage of the prep was cleaning the wheel caps. I was thinking of buying a brand new set, but after a good clean with the Bar Keepers Friend, they came out totally amazing. So they got the C5 treatment and went back on the Delta's. (Sorry no before shots.)

IMG_0014.JPG

IMG_0009.JPG

The final completed photos:

IMG_0013.JPG IMG_0012.JPG IMG_0011.JPG

Conclusions:

Overall a positive experience. No major problems or challenges in applying the product. Definitely recommend doing this with the wheels off the car. I can imagine this being a back breaking job if they are still on the car. My plan now is to do this on the 17" OEM's in the spring when I switch the wheels. I can then get the 17" repaired and clear-coated and apply the C5.

+ Product is easy to apply
    + 30ml will easily do two sets of 18" wheels (maybe I didn't use enough product?)
    + Reasonably priced
    + YouTube says its long lasting (I will post periodic updates to see if this is true on UK roads/weather.)

- Can't tell where you've applied the product
    - Product evaporates very quickly and the fumes did give me a headache and I worked outside on a windy day. need to be super careful if you are planning to do this in an enclosed area.
    - Could have put in more applicator pads. (But they were actually the same stuff that my wife uses to remove make-up. Can be purchased at the local shops for pennies.)

3. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Fabulous job there @kazh72 :likeit:

The challenge is to regularly wash them down to keep the salt, dirt and brake dust off.

I use a soft microfibre cloth and a pad like this.

51I7Y0seHOL__SY300_.

4. kazh72 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    @Nels Totally. That would be perfect for the stocking filler! Thanks for the suggestion.

5. Mugen_fd2 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

London
    3 month since applied it to my wheels, still going strong! Will see how it holds after winter.
    unnamed.

kazh72 and andy83 like this.
  6. kazh72 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    @Mugen_fd2 how does it handle brake dust? Can you pressure wash it off or lots of scrubbing still required?

7. Mugen_fd2 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

London
    I clean them once a week. After BH Autofoam and jetwash they are 80% clean, but to keep on top of it Im using soft brush and cloth for final wipe. Cannot justify the price for wheel woolies, but people rate them.
    I don't know how I lived without all those coating stuff before - cleaning becomes so much easier.

Nels likes this.
  8. kazh72 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Totally agree. I've got ceramic coating on the bodywork. Makes car washing so much easier. Really helps to keep things scratch/swirl free!

Mugen_fd2 likes this.