Electrical & Lights Guide For Honda Elysion 2005 3.0 Signal & Hazard Problem

Discussion in 'Imports & Worldwide' started by KWS, Thursday 24th May, 2018.

1. KWS New Member Getting Started

Indonesia KWS Surabaya
    Dear Expert,
    I'm having the following problem with my Elysion, My signal Lights and Hazard not working, checked the fuse box, fuse blown. Changed the fuse but once I tried either one, the fuse immediately blows. Can anyone tell me what is going on and what parts is misfuction?

2. Whisker Version Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Bristol
    Hello friend in Indonesia, I have the following advice for you. You need to diagnose the situation by being logical and methodical. If you are not familiar with electrical matters, then you should find a friend locally who can help you. A multimeter would be good tool to have because this can measure resistance to ground, and save on wasting fuses.
    The general principal of the circuit is that current flows from the +12V side of the battery via fuses to the hazard switch on the dashboard. It then flows to the indicator relay. After that, it flows to the indicator stalk switch, which directs it to the left branch, or to the right branch of the indicators. There it passes through 3 bulbs in parallel and flows to ground and back to the battery. If the hazard switch is activated, the indicator stalk switch is bypassed, and current is directed to both left and right branches simultaneously.
    You have a short-circuit somewhere between the +12V feed serving the indicators/hazard lights and 0V/ground/chassis. The location of the short must be after the fuses but before the bulbs. The circuits I have seen have two fuses, one for indicators located in the fuse panel by the drivers right leg, and one in the engine bay fuse box for hazard lights. This is because the hazard lights must work even with the ignition switch off. Are both fuses blowing? Do they blow on insertion, or only after you actuate the hazards lights or indicators? Does indicating left have a different outcome to indicating right? Answers to these would help you reduce the options for where the short circuit is located. Chaffed insulation and broken wires are surprisingly rare. My recommendation would be to first suspect the "indicator relay" since it is a moving mechanical part, and it has both 0V and 12V connections; it is the device that makes bulbs flash and should be above the fuse box by the driver's right leg. Try pulling it out to see if the fuses still blow; this will tell you whether the short-circuit is upstream of the relay, or in it/downstream.
    Someone else has had a similar problem in an Accord, here: https://www.justanswer.com/honda/1h1m2-accord-turn-signal-fuses-hazard-fuses-aftermarket-alarm.html
    A general circuit diagram is here: https://www.justanswer.com/uploads/VirtualWrench/2008-10-04_144325_wire_pdf.pdf although it isn't very helpful.

I wrote that you should be logical, this includes asking whether the problem has just started, or was it happening when you obtained the vehicle. Could, simply, someone have fitted the wrong fuses or the wrong bulbs? Have you done any work recently that could have disturbed the wiring?