Introductions Hello and would you buy this? 3rd Generation CR-V

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by LennyLexus, Tuesday 13th Mar, 2018.

1. LennyLexus Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Len Birmingham
    Hi,

Not sure if this is in the right section.

I am a Jap car nut and Lexus owner of 15 years. After a new LOC member moved to RX400h from CR-V and mentioned how reliable it is. I'm seriously considering trading my lovely 2nd Generation IS250 SE-L (range topping petrol) for a 3rd Generation CR-V EX (2.2 CTDi dirty diesel too). I was looking at Accord Type-S Tourer, unfortunately it doesn't seem very practical for my growing family (2 toddlers).
    Is Diesel the right move? I commute 50 miles a day (10 in traffic, 20 A road, 20 motorway) along with various long distant trips (200miles +) totalling around 16k a year.

I've come across a cosmetically well looked after EX with Advanced Safety Pack and turbine style alloys refreshed in a dark colour.
    However, I am concerned about the service history, pricing is at the top end (due to cosmetic condition, mileage 80k and options). Should I walk or pursue the following (priced at 6k)?
    3 Years/40k (2007-2009) - Perfect history
    3 years/18k (2010-2012) - NO HISTORY
    3 Years/2k (2013-2015) - NO HISTORY apart from the "pads" were changed per the MOT history.
    2016 - Serviced - This is 22k and over 6 years since the last service
    2017 - 9k covered - NO HISTORY
    2018 - Oil and Filter change by independent dealer, who is selling the car - this is 16k since the last service.

The tyres have 7mm thread however, they are different brands, I pretty much always replace in pairs.

Thanks,
    Len

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Hello and welcome @LennyLexus :Hey:

I'm busy with some other things right now, but will respond more fully as soon as I can.
    I'm sure some of the others will chip in with their thoughts in the meantime.

3. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    Hello @LennyLexus welcome to HK mate, I have just read what you have put about the diesel 3rd Generation CR-V you have looked at in my own view you could be taking a risk that if in the parts where no service history how do you know if it has had oil and filter changes when it should of as it is important to the running of these engines, also if me correct the person who has gone from 3rd Generation CR-V to the Lexus rx400h is @FirstHonda ..
    thanks
    Andy

4. FirstHonda Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Ed Wiltshire
    @LennyLexus

I moved to a new Lexus NX in September from a petrol 4th Generation CR-V. Personally I wouldn't move to a diesel at this point, but as long as the maintenance has been top notch and as long as you budget for some bigger bills with the diesel it may be for you given your mileage. I would steer clear of the I-CTDI though, and go for the newer I-DTEC. If you search the forum you'll see why, but I'm sure @Nels will be back later with some more advice on that.

Having moved to Lexus last year I'm already planning to move back to Honda. That may be all you need to know...

MickyB and Duc de Pommfrit like this.
  5. Davej5 Premium Member Club Supporter

Dave Cornwall
    That does seem expensive for an 2007 I just bought 2010 petrol for only a thousand more it has done a few more miles at 106000 but not that much and it is one owner with full dealer service history.

6. LennyLexus Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi,

I spoke to my trusted mechanic, who advised to risk it. It looks nice but was mechanically far too risky.

This evening I went to view my first CR-V, 2008, just under 100k on the clock, history is spot on, alloys are wrapped in Dunlop's with a good amount of tread, so it seems to check out reliability wise, however I was left under whelmed with cosmetics, interior was acceptable overall, expect ripped gear level cover, black scuff marks in the roof lining. However the outside has far too many scuffs for my liking (it's a black car), the rear diffuser was badly scuffed on the plastic. Again this is 6k

7. LennyLexus Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

^^
    There was also rust "bubbles" around the rear windscreen near the wiper mechanism. Is this a common fault? How can it be put right?
    - - - Updated - - -
    Thanks, I would like to go for a petrol, but on paper they seem underpowered and the thought of a remap sounds exciting (I've never owned a turbo car before).
    - - - Updated - - -
    What bigger bills should I budget for?
    I am getting conflicting information on ICTDI vs I-DTEC.. do you have any links?

8. Nels Moderator Staff Team

In no particular order:
    IMHO, most folk don't comply with the basic, minimum service requirements. Therefore, the older a car is, and the more owners it has had, the more it will have been mistreated. (Clearly, there are exceptions, but they are in the minority)

With that in mind, the older I-CTDI vehicles are a big risk. Yes, they don't have a DPF, but that's their only saving grace. I had an I-CTDI Accord (for 10 years) and it was fabulous.
    If you are extremely lucky, you may find a CR-V that has been correctly serviced and worth a punt.

The I-DTEC engine is a significant improvement on the I-CTDI, but again, will cause you heartache if not maintained correctly. Additionally, too many short journeys will trigger endless DPF issues. Plus, the DPF will need replacing eventually, even if it is run correctly. For these reasons, for you, I cannot recommend a used diesel Honda, unless you are 100% sure it is in good health.

If you were a high mileage user, it would be a different matter.

You will be better off having a petrol CR-V. Yes, it will cost more in fuel, but that's it. Honda petrol engines are superb.
    I am not a diesel hater. As mentioned above, I had one for 10 years. I believe they are right for some people. If you can afford to buy a new or nearly new one, then you can ensure it is correctly maintained and that you go on sufficient long runs to keep the DPF clear.

FirstHonda and andy83 like this.
  9. FirstHonda Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Ed Wiltshire
  10. LennyLexus Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

@Nels thanks for the fantastic reply.

My wife almost had a fit when went to see the oil burner last night (why are we even considering this).. I tried to remain positive. This morning on my commute with super sweet Lexus V6 purring along, I too started having second thoughts. Do diesels get louder with age? (we are planning on keeping this for long time).

Anyway I went to view a lovely petrol this evening, much more pleasing to the ears, might just have to forgo the extra power/remap. The lower purchase cost of prime example diesel vs petrol is offsets the fuel saving for the first few years,

The car is an 09 EX with 100k on the clock, 1 owner, full and on time main dealer history. The independant dealer will carry out the 9 year service using pattern parts, I understand, this is the oil+filter and brake fluid change? Is there anything else I should look out for?

Nels likes this.
  11. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
  12. LennyLexus Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Update guys! I've checked out several CR-V's over last week...
    1) CDTI EX - Full and On Time Service History - but full of supermarket wounds - wasn't impressed by the sound of the oil burner either at 100k. I decent deal was offered here. The garage also had an ES Petrol, however I wasn't interested in an ES
    2) i-VTEC EX - In amazing nick and again full and on time service history, rear parcel shelf was missing, I was ready to do the deal until been offered a silly amount for my PX, I declined.
    3) i-VTEC EX - going very cheap, but had been neglected, few supermarkets scars, the owner bought a top of the range car yet serviced it 5 times in 11 years and only one of them was at the main dealer.
    4) i-VTEC ES, back to drawing board, I went to check out the ES, clean silver car with full history, deposit paid, exchange is happening at the weekend :Smile:
    Goodbye silky smooth V6 cat, and amazing 6 speed paddle shift/luxury box, carbon cleaning DI, 7 litre oil fills, 6 sparkies...
    Hello i-VTEC, more MPG, cheaper servicing and dadmobile!
    From the pursuit of perfection to the power of dreams :Smile:

13. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Why are you buying an ES when you want EX spec?
    There are plenty of EX CR-V's out there.

14. LennyLexus Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Offer was too good to refuse tbh and this is paid for in cash.

15. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I’d never be satisfied with an ES. I’d feel a sense of disappointment every time my backside felt the resistance of those nasty cloth seats

16. LennyLexus Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've had leathers for 15 years. Two mucky boys make me think it's not really a priority anymore. I'll be missing my 200+ HP paddle shift V6 more me thinks.

17. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Having previous owned 200+BHP cars (but with a proper gearbox) myself, I can assure you that you’ll soon confirm you’ve made the right decision after living with your CR-V on a day to day basis

FirstHonda and andy83 like this.
  18. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Jeez Lenny, with all these threads you've started it looks like you've bought a bit of a pig. Any chance you can go back to the seller?

I've not had as many faults in all the time I've owned my EX as you've had in two weeks!

MickyB likes this.
  19. LennyLexus Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Apart from the Stereo (which is the dealer is looking into), it wouldn't consider any of the to-do list, "faults". For a 10 year old/100k SUV these are general wear and tear items and part and parcel of buying a car at such age/mileage. Therefore unsurprisingly these items are not covered by any warranty, I wouldn't be confident in an independent dealers repair on this (they are watching their bottom line, i.e. use the cheapest part and cut labour corners where possible), I would rather get it done on my own terms. The replacement items on my list are with a view to getting great performance/safety over the next 100k and would probably suffice as advisories for most people.

The car has FHSH, has a beautifully maintained engine bay. The set of Yoko's are hardly worn, it's never failed an MOT (even for things like light aim), bodywork and interior are in excellent condition for its age. If I wanted to do the minimum the exhaust corrosion could be patched to pass an MOT for £20-30.

I checked out seen a potential 'pig' out of curiosity as it nearby and priced low, 10-year-old EX, 100k, one owner, only 5 services and one of those was at Honda and a year late, interior and exterior looked neglected. It's unbelievable that someone can afford a brand new EX and skimp on Honda servicing (£600 for 5 years).