Engine & Gearbox Help! Coolant related

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Zerotonine, Wednesday 11th Oct, 2017.

1. Zerotonine Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Zero Swindon
    Hi everyone
    After a 5 mile journey this morning, I parked up at the local supermarket and when I came back out there was a lovely puddle of coolant under the radiator. I thought it was a blown radiator but when I got it home (only 1/2 a mile away) the puddle is no more, neither is it leaking any more. The header tank looks normal, still has plenty of coolant, but it looks as though the overflow pipe on the header tank had sneezed a load of coolant out.
    What is likely to have caused this? Am I looking at thermostat, radiator, head gasket, or giving the car a course of Beechams Cold Medicine?
    It is a 2004 2.2 ICTDI.

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Was the puddle from your car or the previous one occupying that space?
    Was there any coolant visible on the underside of the engine bay/radiator?
    Were any of the hoses wet?
    Has the coolant ever been changed?

Have you removed the oil filler cap and examined it?
    Is there any coolant in the oil?

andy83 likes this.
  3. Zerotonine Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It was definitely from my car, there was splashes between the radiator and the engine on the hoses, and coolant dripping from the undertray. The breather pipe was wet on the end so it looks like it has discharged from there. The oil is oil, no mayo, the filler cap looks normal and the dipstick is normal. The hoses are wet but it is clear that it is only because they have been splashed by the breather pipe.
    I haven’t a clue when it was last changed, it is possibly due a change but it has been previously looked after by Honda themselves and a recent health check by Honda shown no issues with the quality of the coolant.
    The only place it looks like the coolant has come from is the breather pipe.
    My mechanic reckons it could be the thermostat, but so far it gets to temperature then stays there.

4. Zerotonine Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Going trawling around the internet recommends changing the radiator cap before anything else. I have one on order now from Honda, should be in tomorrow. I shall try that first.

Harvey likes this.
  5. qc2 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom quince Bromley
    are you mistaking it for drips from running climate control or A/C? I run my climate control always and always have puddles as a result.

Harvey likes this.
  6. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

if the coolant overflow pipe is split then it would obviously leak from there. The quantity that you suggest says its more of a large leak. I would deffo monitor this, The other thing to do is get the car up to temperature, say on a drive, where you can observe what happens and be able to trace the leak.

andy83 likes this.
  7. i-DSI Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    You can also pressurise the system with cold engine and check if it keeps its pressure and/or look for leaks when pressurised.

andy83 and Harvey like this.
  8. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

agreed, you can buy a pressure tester for just this job. though, having a look on eBay they seem to be a bout 45 quid

9. i-DSI Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Sure, because it's difficult to spot a leak with hot engine. It evaporates quick.

Harvey likes this.
  10. Zerotonine Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The problem hasn’t reoccurred, but to be on the safe side I got my mechanic to change the Thermostat. Well, he tried, but Honda recommended the wrong thermostat, as does GSF and Euro Car Parts. It has the old thermostat back in temporarily until next week, when the correct one can be sourced.
    Is the correct Thermostat for a 2004 N22A1 the Febi Bilstein 33457?

11. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That's wierd, I can't see Honda recommending the wrong part. Unless it was a labelling error. I know that does happen. Have you checked on lings honda parts website to confirm the part number and then put that part number into ebay

andy83 likes this.
  12. Zerotonine Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

According to Lings, the part number is PFKL404268 which shows up as clips on eBay, no other site recognises it. It looks the same on Lings exploded diagram as the Febi one, I am at a loss though.

andy83 likes this.
  13. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    Mate do you have the link to the diagram on ling...
    Thank
    Andy
    - - - Updated - - -
    Honda Car and Auto Parts | Honda ACCORD | WATER PUMP (DIESEL) | Genuine Honda Parts | Honda Cars | Honda Motorcycles | Honda Power Products | Lings Honda Car Parts Selection OEM
    try that link mate Honda Part Number 19301RBD305 Hope this helps
    i-cdti.
    Thanks
    Andy

Nels likes this.
  14. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Ah, it seems that your not aware of the trick that makes the website display the correct part number. Basically you need to delete the _pfk from the addreas bar and it will then display the correct Honda part number

Nels and andy83 like this.
  15. Zerotonine Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have given up and gone to Honda for the part. £48.57. Hopefully I will have more luck with the gearbox mount, the transmission fluid and the paint I will need for the next few jobs!

Harvey and andy83 like this.