General Help Required With a Few Minor Jobs

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Heckler, Thursday 29th Jun, 2017.

1. MickyB Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Have you tried auto trader for CR-Vs I've just put a budget of £2k in and there are a lot available both petrol and diesel.

Harvey likes this.
  2. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Whilst I pretty much agree with everything... Time may not be on my side at all... I may have to grab the first decent thing that comes along and make do... It's kinda what happened when I got the Mondeo... It was a back up car in case I couldn't find exactly what I wanted (at the time I was looking for a Skoda Superb Elegance).. I'd still consider one of those, but the ones in my price range are 2.0PD diesels and you should avoid those like the plague due to the oil pump failures that can and will destroy an engine... the 1.9PD is ok, but those are now getting a little long in the tooth. I did thorough research into them and a lot of it is passat parts... it's basically a stretch passat chassis underneath and I know most of the faults to look for... plus it's PRE Emissions scandal so not a concern... I'd not touch anything with a BMW, VW, Audi or Merc Badge... but for some reason Skoda is ok even though it's a VAG car. :Smile:

I'd love an Alfa 159 Sort Tourer with the 2.4JDM... almost 200BHP from a turbo diesel and a car that has killer looks... But as you said.. reliability... But still, almost worth it for that beauty.

It needs to be 5 door, so large hatch or tourer/estate... I need to think ahead and make sure I've got room in the back for a wheelchair or mobility scooter as my mums in her 70's and make need to use one in future. Mazda 6 is also on the list, but that would probably mean going petrol which means increase in tax, insurance and running costs... But I do like them.. but have heard they had diesel engine issues... Their range is also quite limited. I wouldn't get a Civic... mainly because I don't think they've made a decent looking one since the 90's... I think some one watched the fast and the furious once too often and then decided to design a car 10yrs later. :Smile: I'll probably get hobbled for saying that on here. :Smile:

CR-V and FR-V are not a factor now, due to unlikely to find one in my price range and running/tax costs are higher... An Accord saloon could be a possibility as it's still got a decent sized boot and I know the cars quite well now.. so it's the exception to the hatch/estate rule... some of those are a little better on the economy side and I've seen a few of the FL ones which are a lower tax bracket too.

Basically.. my head is spinning and going of on every tangent possible right now because I still don't know where I stand with mine... Once I KNOW FOR CERTAIN... perhaps I can quell the uncertainty ringing around my noggin and focus more. I have a tendency to over analyse things and try to work out every possible way it could go... and that's just confusing and stressy. :Smile:

I can't do anything until I've got mine back and put it in for it's MOT later in the week. Nighthawk is going to pop round give me his opinion on the damage and see if we can't get the under tray removed for the MOT... it'll fail with it half hanging down, but not with it removed., of course that then makes the engine more exposed and visible for inspection. But one step at a time.

If I didn't need to have 4 doors and a decent sized boot... then I'd be looking at things like this. :Smile:

Alfa Romeo GT 1.9 JTDM 16v Coupe 2dr Diesel Manual (165 g/km, 150 bhp)

Last edited: Sunday 16th Jul, 2017
    Harvey likes this.
  3. MickyB Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

What out of interest do you pay in road tax on a diesel accord?
    My CR-V is paid monthly @£25.81. So there can't be much difference and it runs at an average of around 29-30mpg.
    Don't know what a diesel version would cost or what fuel figures it would return but it must be better even if road tax is a little dearer.

4. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

My dad has the 4th Generation CR-V and he averages around 48mpg driving to and from work, which is about 20 miles each way down some pretty rubbish a and b roads.

5. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Road tax for my tourer is currently £190, it's £250 for the CR-V and £220 for the FR-V... Some of the FL saloon Accords are only £150 from what I've seen... Unless they messed up the adverts on autotrader. Average figures for the CR-V give almost 10mpg less than the same engine in the Tourer. I know some of the more recent ones are much better if you keep it in the most economical modes but we're looking at cars from around 2005.

6. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

What do people think about this?

Honda Accord EX1CTDI Estate ( Spare or Repair only)

It's basically a non runner, but it's the same colour and looks in good nick otherwise... If I can get it for £300-400, and it's gonna be aperhaps another £150-200 to get it the 100 miles back to me.. But it's an EX so I could take what I needed (maybe a few other bits) and part out the rest to recover at least half of my money.

7. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

that would be a good idea, to buy it for parts and just strip it for what you need, then scrap the shell. Heck you would even get a spare set of alloys out of it, replacement bumpers, spare headlights. if you needed the engine subframe or any suspension componants, they are all there.

Heckler likes this.
  8. Scottydog Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Scotty Merthyr tydfil
    If you have room to store it on your drive while you strip it then this is the best way to go but leave any bids until the last 10 seconds set your alarm to 16.50 tomorrow

Heckler and Harvey like this.
  9. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

My mum reminded me that there's a guy across the road from her with his own car transporter... So she's going to pop over and ask him to give me a call... see how much he'd charge to go and get it and bring it to me. In the morning I'll also make a few calls and find out what others charge.

I was saying I needed some luck on this... so cross your fingers because if the sums add up I'll try and grab it.

Last edited: Sunday 16th Jul, 2017
    andy83 and Harvey like this.
  10. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

He said it's going to cost £200 to go and fetch the car and deliver it to me... Which is at the upper end of what I thought but doable as I know where he lives. :Smile:

Harvey and andy83 like this.
  11. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

If I can't buy this one, I've been offered a wing & door in the right colour from the same car for £120.. So I'd still need to source bumper, under tray and inner wheel arch liner... But things are looking more psitive to repair rather than replace at this moment.

Harvey likes this.
  12. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

hopefully things will pan out for you in the end.

andy83 likes this.
  13. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Speaking of swapping over other parts... if I do get the whole car.... and the rear washer jet works I could always pull that and the no return valve (If I ever find out where it is).. then I thought... swap over the whole rear spoiler as the FL one is nicer and reduces drag a little as well as helping redirect water down the rear screen better... and if the rear bumper is better than mine... the list keeps growing :Smile:

I've also got a friend (not a member) with the same car as me, same colour and a tourer (standard model). So I'll let him know in case he needs parts... He's also handy with a spanner and we've repaired and stripped a few old MX6's in the past between us. So he might be able to lend a hand in exchange for some spares for his.

Like wise anyone else... a few people have offered to come and help, so perhaps we can arrange a day when everyone can descend at the same time... Even my mum has offered to come over and keep everyone supplied with food and drink whilst we work on the car. :Smile:

if 3 or 4 people could make it... we should be able to do everything needed in a single day. :Smile:

Harvey likes this.
  14. Scottydog Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Scotty Merthyr tydfil
    Chose a date and as long as I am not at footy or a dog show I should be able to organise something on a weekend. I can drop the Mrs at her friends in Aylesbury.

Heckler likes this.
  15. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

and heck if it all pans out maybe I can lend a hand and tools as well. also depending on funds too, lol

might as well make a meet out of it and bring plenty of tea and biscuits

Heckler likes this.
  16. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Muppets... I'm Dealing with MUPPETS

So the car was returned to me today... the same bloke who picked it up on Thursday last week... I was in waiting for him, he never called like he did last week before arriving... Was supposed to be here around 11am.

12:15 comes and I'm wondering where he is... I go out to bring the wheelie bin in as they collected this morning... and as I bring it back down the drive I glance across at my neighbours house and see a different car on their drive... It takes about 3 seconds to register... IT'S MY CAR.

Idiot parked it on the wrong drive of the wrong house... realised his mistake as my neighbour was walking past with her dog at the time... and then HE STILL POSTED THE KEYS THROUGH THE WRONG HOUSE!!!

My neighbours on that side are elderly and one is disabled... I had to call them and warn them what had happened and wait for them outside to get back. They need to reverse as close to the house so she can walk the last few yards inside.

What boggles my mind is this... HE KNEW IT WAS THE WRONG HOUSE.. He said as much to my neighbour a couple of doors down... and still put the keys through the wrong letterbox.

MUPPET

Car I'm looking at ends tonight.. arranged to have it picked up and brought over to me for £200 (If I win It)... I worked it out and it's about a 250 mile round trip.. he'll do it for cash when he drops the car of to me. Not gonna argue, other places wanted a lot more than that... some places asking £1.50 per miles and telling me it's going to be a 300 mile round trip.

Last edited: Monday 17th Jul, 2017
    Harvey likes this.
  17. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I've decided not to go for the car that ends in a couple of hrs... The reason being that I still don't know for certain if mine CAN be repaired or not. Until I do, then blowing up to half my budget on a car that may not save mine is too much of a risk.

So Nighthawks popping over in the morning to give me an honest opinion of the damage and repair potential... I'll book it for it's MOT and we go from there.

Harvey, Nels and andy83 like this.
  18. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That seems a safer bet at the moment. Get an honest opinion, see if anything is bent or out of place. Measurements can be taken from another car. Hopefully its just superficial damage to wing,door, wheel and under tray. However my one concern is if its damaged the sump from where you clacked the kerb. We shall see and hope that everything checks out.

19. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Not worried about the sump as it's not hit centrally, but rather slightly one side perhaps just a matter of inches from the drivers side front wheel... that's mainly where the under tray was damaged a hanging down.

I'm keeping options open, I can replace with a budget of up to £2200, and can part mine out if required.. it's the EX model so loads of toys, leather and refurbish headlights to play with.

The ebay car went for £260 in the end, which was well under what I was prepared to pay originally (£400).. but with another £200 for transporting it back to me... I know I could have recouped that £400 parting out the car and perhaps another £150 scrapping it.

Once the MOT is done tomorrow... I'll have a picture on what work it needs... Then I can start planning.

Spotted a few FL Tourer sport models with between 110000 * 145000 miles on them within budget and loads of PFL 05-55-06 plate ones with various mileage on well under budget if things go that way... Some nicer colours too... Must confess I'm not a massive fan of the Artic Pearl Blue colour of mine... But a solid car is more important.

If I start looking at saloon models... I could easily get an EX within budget as they're far more common... Not fussed about an EX with satnav as I've got a decent phone and google maps is better these days than onboard without out of date maps... and free traffic alerts too. if I got a PFL, it's much easier to add a device like the grom units and they're a third of the price of the ones for the satnav units... and there's always a parrot kit if needed (in fact one of the PFL tourer sports had one fitted).

Harvey likes this.
  20. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I like that plan as well. plus if you part yours out, ill see what toys it has mine doesn't lol