Introductions Hi to all the Honda crew

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by FUGMASTER, Thursday 14th Jun, 2018.

1. FUGMASTER Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England ALAN HASLEMERE
    Just Bought a marvellous 2009 Accord EX Tourer, after admiring their looks for years; that 2.2 I-DTEC engine is something else, and pulls like steam train!
    My only grip is the lack of spare wheel space, although the previous owner did supply the wheel. Simple question: Can I buy / or adapt the current load area trim, and pop the wheel into the space where currently the under-floor storage space / Jack is??

2. aznspidey Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom TN London
    I believe the 8th Generation Accord tourer has space to fit a full spare whilst saloons only a space-saver.

Not sure about the foam space organiser for jack, etc on tourer. I know there are different ones for the saloon whether you have space-saver or not.

andy83 likes this.
  3. FUGMASTER Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England ALAN HASLEMERE
    Thanks, I'm just wondering about how to.go about it?? Are all Tourers supplied with that ridiculous emergency bottle, or are there some that had a spare tyre from new, and therefore I'd just need to replace the linings etc, with the spare-wheel type?

4. lefty Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi, I believe all gen 8 tourers got the bottle (along with the saloons) What I did with mine (tourer) was removed the lining completely, put it in the garage to put back in when I sell the car. Fit the full size wheel (I had a round plastic piece with an m8 bolt made to secure the wheel to the car via the centre of the wheel, where the centre cap of the wheel goes) Then I just wrapped the wheel brace, jack etc in cloth and placed inside the wheel rim. I did exactly the same to the wife's car (saloon) except I had to use a space saver as a full size would not fit, the space saver comes with the plastic bolt to bolt the wheel to the car, if buying new. It all works fine, no noise or rattles, and seen as it is covered and you only see it when checking your tyre, I can live with that.

5. aznspidey Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom TN London
    Keep an eye out for second hand wheels on eBay and such sites and fit new tire to it if needed. Honda dealers supply the bracket holder for spare wheel but that may only be designed for the space saver. @lefty 's DIY method of bolt and plastic disc is a much cheaper and still effective method :Niceone:

I find the included Jack tools included with the Honda cumbersome to actually use (no quick method for reverse action). You could search scrapper yards for foam organiser and Jack tools from other cars that fit same size wheel or just wrap in cloth.

For saloons where there's not enough space to use a full size with the interior boot mat trim, you could do something like this chap...

6. FUGMASTER Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England ALAN HASLEMERE
    That's what I Thought! I think I'll be following you, anzspidy, and just rip it all.out, and plonk the spare where it really ought to be! Many Thanks for the advise!

aznspidey likes this.
  7. Nels Moderator Staff Team

A belated welcome to Honda Karma @FUGMASTER :Hey:
    Please do upload an avatar and add your Accord to the Club Garage - Details of how are here.

Have you sorted out the spare wheel now?