Insurance Home Insurance

Discussion in 'Insurance & Breakdown Cover' started by FirstHonda, Sunday 2nd Jul, 2017.

1. FirstHonda Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Ed Wiltshire
    With my buildings and contents insurance up in a couple of weeks, I've been doing the normal round of quotes.

No surprise, my renewal isn't competitive. Sigh.

However, some of my other findings may be useful for others, unless they are already well known. Using the comparison sites is great, but - with exactly the same details - I got different quotes from the same companies on different sites! Most interestingly, the company I will be going with (More Than) weren't the absolute cheapest, but their cover is much better and includes home emergency cover for free through Go Compare (and not through the other comparison sites).

Direct Line have the simplest online quote tool, and for the first time ever I got a competitive quote from them, albeit not the cheapest or the most thorough level of cover.

Lastly, a weird one. Co-OP insurance sent me a letter promising the cheapest quote, free gifts etc. It was sent to my correct home address and postcode. However, their online tool doesn't recognise my postcode (some sites still don't have all of deepest, darkest, Wiltshire covered!) and when I called them to query, they told me they couldn't quote if the postcode wasn't recognised by their systems. All very polite and apologetic, but they were slightly stumped as to how they sent me the letter with a 'quote' in the first place...

In summary, my insurance for the next year will cost me c£40 less than the renewal, but with home emergency cover included. Which makes me glad I bothered to spend a couple of hours going through it all.

MickyB likes this.
  2. ChrisKnottIns Site Partner Trader

We'd be very happy to offer you a quote too if it's not too late, @FirstHonda.

best,
    Nick

3. FirstHonda Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Ed Wiltshire
    Afraid it is too late. Thanks though, maybe next year.

ChrisKnottIns likes this.
  4. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I just tend to leave insurance matters in my mothers hands as she's in insurance broker. Aside from her and my aunt, I find insurance people untrustworthy.

MickyB likes this.