General Honda Civic Saloon 1.8. Automatic.

Discussion in '8th Generation (2006-2011)' started by obi604, Thursday 17th May, 2018 at 1:10pm.

1. obi604 New Member Getting Started

Ireland PK galway
    Hi all
    My first post in this forum so go easy on me :Smile:
    I am based in Ireland. I don’t do many miles a year. 5000 miles roughly. Mainly used for a commute to work 3 days a week - 2 miles to get on motorway. 8 miles on motorway at 75 mph. Then last 2 miles can be heavy enough traffic. Otherwise for pottering around, local journeys, drop kids here and there etc. We mainly use the wife’s diesel car for longer journeys.
    Looking to buy an 8th Generation 2008 Honda Civic Saloon. 1.8 petrol. Automatic.
    So a 10 year old car. Most cars of this age have probably 120,000 miles plus up on them.
    Few questions:
    What kind of MPG should I achieve based on my driving style ?
    Are these cars good from 10 years old/120,000 miles?
    Are they in general reliable ?

2. rimmo Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Charlie Brigg North Lincs
    Hello @obi604
    I've owned a 2007 1.8 8th Generation manual Civic for the past two years and I'm very pleased with it, with no plans to change in the foreseeable future.
    My commute to work is a 24 mile round trip, all on country lanes and regularly achieve fuel figures in the mid to high 30's, on longer runs a MPG of 40+ is achievable.
    A regularly serviced/maintained Civic with the 1.8 engine is in my opinion more than capable of achieving mileages well in access of 120000.

3. obi604 New Member Getting Started

Ireland PK galway
    good to hear , thanks for taking the time to reply. I thought based on your driving style that you would get slightly better MPG.

andy83 likes this.
  4. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    Hello @obi604 I would just like to add mate the 1.8 is the R-series engine which is timing chain, also automatic gearbox should be smooth ..
    Thanks
    Andy

5. obi604 New Member Getting Started

Ireland PK galway
    thx.
    I've had major issues in the past with a timing chain on a BMW.
    are timing chains ok on this generation honda?

6. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Mate not many Honda petrol with chains have probs just keep oil level right and regular changed, Honda's are not BMW :Devil:

7. obi604 New Member Getting Started

Ireland PK galway
    anything else to look out for on these cars?

8. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

mate is there service history with it..

9. obi604 New Member Getting Started

Ireland PK galway
    no.
    this is the thing with :tut: Ireland, I have mailed 3 dealers with the simple question " how many services are stamped in the service book"
    The reply from ALL 3 = there is no service book
    How :tut: basic is this, annoying

10. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

mate best thing would be is to try and look though the invoices if any or look for another with service history cause all fluids are important to be changed at right intervals ...