How much power is enough?

Discussion in 'Lounge & Gossip' started by BlackBen, Sunday 16th Jun, 2013.

1. BlackBen Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've just had to go to gatiwick to pick my friend up from the airport, and on the way down I was thinking to myself. I currently have about 180bhp in a car that weighs a tonne, and really.. its quite slow. I mean yeah its nippy in the city but on the motorway 180bhp is :tut: all, which then got me thinking about DC2's etc. 

Surely people must feel like epic retards when they have DC2's with canards winglets big spoilers etc with pretty stock engines and loud exhausts..B18cr's are pretty sick engines no doubt, but they still look like they're going to be a lot faster than they are, and on the motorway when your at 90 with the exhaust screaming and you can barely keep up with completely stock 330d's and stuff it must be embarrassing, same with any "hot hatch" or "coupe" with under 200bhp though IMO

When i had a d14 i always thought b16's and b18's must be quick and i'd love to have about 200bhp and it'd be ample but it really isn't lol. 

Is it just me that thinks like this or? 

Not shitting on anyone with a DC2 because i drive a :tut: clio so i can't say boo to a ghost, but loud exhausts and aggressive conards etc on cars with sub 200 is just so gay in my eyes, and i only noticed it today. 

ideally id like to be running 280/320bhp, I think that's good power for a daily, and i wouldn't say no to it being diesel powered either. 

What sort of power output would you consider ideal for a daily? Leave reliability and :thumbdown: out of it and be realistic. 

2. ctrsam Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

250bhp 350lbft

3. CrouchyM Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

IMO FWD no more than 260-70 BHP, that's enough for the front wheels. Even that may be abit too much but with the right setup it would be okay.

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 16th Jun, 2013
  4. Site Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

well it depends what your going for really...if you want a track car i bet 200-250hp is more than enough for a good bit of fun with a car setup correctly...but if you want a car to go fast in a straight line then get a big engined car or get a forged engine and run 500hp :Tongue:

5. BlackBen Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

300-10bhp would be a handful on a 0-60 run but at motorway speeds it would pull nicely with decent tyres and a modern chasis.. 

In and around town 250ish is enough to be honest, but on the open road 250bhp wouldn't feel all that quick.. 

i'd like to have a good pull in any gear at any speed! 

6. CrouchyM Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Yeah i just remembered what my cousins turbo's DC2 was like and edited my comment to suit.

7. BlackBen Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

just a daily, something you have to use everyday, and in a hot hatch sort of shell, basically a 5-15k hatch/salloon but running whatever power you want, reliably but you have to remember its a daily lol, so fuel and tyres etc have to come into it. 

8. Azad_R Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

97bhp is enough for me!

9. LeeroyV Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

At least 250hp per tonne is what I'm gonna be aiming for :Smile:

10. ste91 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've thought about this before, and peak power numbers mean NOTHING on the road - it's all about useable power.

B series is a good example - peak power figures are good, don't give me bullshit that B18's are slow, they're quick enough to get you into trouble on public roads, the problem with them is they have piss poor performance at the sort of revs you'd use on a daily basis.

Just look at a dyno graph of a B series and you'll see how peaky they are, great when going flat out on a track but not very nice on a daily driven car. Under 4000rpm there is hardly more power than a 1.2, they have under 100bhp for a lot of the rev range lol.

Compare them to one of the most common diesel engines the VAG 1.9 PD and you'll see the power curve on a diesel is quite flat - which means "usable" power throughout the rev range, so you may only have 130bhp against the B16 160bhp but the engine will feel a lot punchier.

I'd rather have 150bhp peak with a flat power curve than 200bhp peak with a steep power curve on a daily driver.

But if we're talking proper cars, money isn't a problem etc etc... then it's got to be something like 300bhp, not stupidly fast, think along the lines of BMW 330D.

11. sennz Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

300 would be nice.

12. Kyron Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom kyron Wolverhampton
    d14 is :thumbdown: slow unless over 3k so count yourself lucky you have around 100hp more than me LOL 

but really 200hp in a light car is quick 

my mates high comp b16 200hp leaves evos claiming to be running 300s on motorway runs 

my dads scooby feels slow to me until boost thats suppose to be running 300hp too

we also had a 330ci and tbh that was slow the stock ep3s he had where quicker obvz not torquey and the 330cis aree thirsty as :tut:

do sound nice though 

IMO its all down to power/weight ratio you have plenty or your just at that stage of craving more as your changing to faster cars haha.

goodbye 

13. Shuthan Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

200bhp in a Civic is enough IMO, I get to 70mph with ease, and thats all that counts :Tongue:

U can use the power throughout the rev range and I have never really got the opportunity to go very quick in every day to day driving, too many :thumbdown: around London which stops you (Speed humps, :thumbdown: roads, police, cameras etc).

14. RandomDan Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I think your driving on the wrong roads personally.

Racing people on M roads is a bit gay we are not americans.

On the other hand loud exhausts that people insist on having are also gay.

Get on a country lane where the road is barely big enough for 2 cars then even 30 is fast!

15. Kadir Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The requirements of a daily will differ from one person to the next.

As for what I would consider ideal, it would be something that is capable of doing 30 and 70 mph without difficulty and be able to accommodate 3 passengers and a driver without issue. And preferably a sizable boot large enough for the groceries. Groceries include the obligatory 45kg of Tolly Boy, 25kg of Potatoes, 25kg of the dreaded onions, 15 litres of Cooking Oil and other miscellaneous items! :Grin:

16. Saifskyline Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

LOL and big boxes of fruit and masalas etc

17. eg6boy1986 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

300bhp jrsc EP3's is what i would say is the best all rounder

18. TheSam Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Your 200 odd HP car on a motorway will feel slow once you try and pull on something.

But get on a track and you will hassle most things, look at the B16s at japfest that were killing it.

Get a 330d with a remap and you will munch most things on a pull, I've a mate with one and I was honestly shocked when I first went out in it.

Very linear power with next to no noise/drama.

19. Kadir Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Standard procedure bro!!

20. ProjectUKDM Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

My I deal daily would a diesel with a six speed get 45+ MPG carry four people with comfort and around 130+BHP motorway racing is boring anyway the corners are where the fun is  :Grin: .