General HR-V 2017 AWD test.

Discussion in '2nd Generation (2015)' started by PanayiotisPal, Monday 11th Sep, 2017.

1. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cyprus Panos Nicosia

2. FirstHonda Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Ed Wiltshire
    Pity they keep referring to the Honda CR-V when it is actually an HR-V in the test. Doh!

It doesn't surprise me that the Subaru performs best - it is the only one of the three manufacturers that I'd class as building 'proper' off-road capability into their cars. They only use CVT auto gearboxes now, as it is the only system that they can find to deliver 'adequate' off-road performance with their X-Drive functionality. I test drove the Forester XT CVT last week and it is a fantastic machine.

PanayiotisPal likes this.
  3. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cyprus Panos Nicosia
    The only thing I disagree is that pre CVT their AWD was much better.

4. FirstHonda Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Ed Wiltshire
    You'd better tell their engineers the reasons then, as they don't agree with you. Their brochures give all the reasons why their CVT system is superior. Unfortunately I've recycled it already!

5. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cyprus Panos Nicosia
    Only engineering data tells the truth, not marketing material. Maybe Honda can show us some graph data of their CVT torque performance? The advantage of Forester is X-mode similar to center differential ( Limited Slip Differential) but also keeps transmission in low gear up to 25m/hr (I think only), but again when in soft snow or other high rear torque requirements it gives up.

The only new material I read about CVT is the sub WRX CVT which is the best in class CVT with 350Nm of torque capability. (2016 Subaru WRX review - manual & CVT auto (video) | PerformanceDrive

So how does this compares to Honda CVT??????

Last edited: Tuesday 12th Sep, 2017