Detailing I hate this weather

Discussion in 'Detailing & Cleaning' started by Heckler, Friday 27th Jan, 2017.

1. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

It's impossible to keep the car clean for more than a few minutes in this weather... It's not completely wet, but it's not dry either... what you get is a non stop spraying of a dirty fine mist when driving. Which leaves the car filthy and as soon as you clean it... it gets dirty within a few miles.

But the worst one is just trying to keep the windscreen clear... In the last 6 weeks I've refilled the washer bottle 6 times, spent about £15 on fluids to dilute down and have to keep a 5lt bottle in the car just in case.

Spending hours on washing and polishing in this weather is pointless... so I'm just putting it through the hand car wash every week at the moment... Until the weather improves and I can try and get some compound on it for a polish and a wax.

Anyone else getting just a pissed of at this weather... I wish it would either rain properly or snow... anything but this dirty mist we've had for the last 6 weeks.

Last edited: Friday 27th Jan, 2017
  2. DrSam Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
    I see where you're coming from and it very frustrating. During winter the £2.50 hand car wash does the job for me. I take it ever week.

3. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    well me I do best to wash my old girl best I can over winter roll on summer...

MickyB and Heckler like this.
  4. [email protected] Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Ron Ascot
    Hate the weather too, very recognisable about the washer fluid :Pinch:, but I hate the salt spraying even more so. It's detrimental for old Honda's that rust o so easily, when I still had my Civic shuttle I tried to clean the underside of the car whenever I could during winter. Luckily my insight is made out of aluminium :Laughing:.

5. Phil P Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Phil Kent
    I have a CR-V . When I lived in London I would keep it cleaned and polished, just like all the other Chelsea Tractor owners there. I think the idea was to impress on the school/Waitrose run. Now that I live in the countryside the complete opposite is the norm. The filthier the car the more you fit in with the locals; clean ones mark you out as a commuter/incomer etc. So my CR-V is covered in mud, silage, salt, dust and bits of road kill and to be honest looks like a proper 4x4 that has been doing proper 4x4 things.

In this part of Kent (Low Weald) all of the roads are 'fast' country lanes bordered on either side by hedges and/or drainage ditches. The hedges can block a lot of your driving sight (at crossroads, bends etc) and the ditches at this time of year are often overflowing onto the road, with accompanying mud and field drain off. These are the sort of conditions where the CR-V excels. Furthermore, at night, there are few street lights and the messy weather has resulted in white line markings and cats eyes, if any, becoming almost impossible to see. Added to the fog over the past few weeks I am extremely impressed with the CR-V's headlights .

Concerning windscreen washer fluid I find that most road spray lands below the front windscreen so I don't need it as much.......but the rear screen certainly does

Phil

MickyB, Ichiban, legend-ary and 3 others like this.
  6. FirstHonda Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Ed Wiltshire
    I agree with everything you say Phil. I made a similar move - Aylesbury to rural Wiltshire - in the Summer, and I find myself for the first time in my adult life feeling that cleaning the car is futile.

It is 2 miles to my nearest B-Road, and the lanes are always filthy. Within a few minutes the car is similarly filthy. I now understand why the cars owned in my village are older - there's no glut of shiny new metal around here.

As you say, the CR-V is perfectly suited to this life though. Now 18 months old, I can see myself owning this particular vehicle for many years as it does exactly what I need it to do, and it does it very well indeed.

MickyB and Phil P like this.
  7. Smokingman Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom John LN5
    The rear screen on my Accord just seems to attract road c***p more than the rest of the car.
    John

Last edited: Monday 30th Jan, 2017
    andy83 likes this.
  8. DrSam Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Have you got mudguard installed? if not it helps.

9. Smokingman Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom John LN5
    Installed on both front and back.

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Just reading this thread now.

My opinion is that's actually safer for the paintwork if you wash your car less often in these conditions. Reason being every time you wash it you're rubbing all that dirt and grime into the paint work.

MickyB and DrSam like this.
  11. DrSam Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

What about the salt from the road getting on the car?

12. Bo_ Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

You're totally right - as soon as there is salt on road, you have to was car as much as possible. But not a regular wash&go where they attend only bodywork. Now most crucial is undercarriage.

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  14. B16_EG Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just bought the girlfriend a Honda Jazz, took 8 hours cleaning it on Saturday to a standard I was happy with .... it's a mess today haha very annoying weather!

honda_saj, MickyB and DrSam like this.
  15. DrSam Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Early Valentine gift?

honda_saj likes this.
  16. B16_EG Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

:tut: hell no haha, she had a Peugeot 107 before and we have had another child so she needed something bigger!

Great cars the Jazz's are

honda_saj, MickyB and DrSam like this.
  17. NZNick Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

New Zealand Dunedin
    re. road salt - best to rinse the car off every week using a hose, especially wheels, arches, sills, hubs, brakes, suspension etc. Pointless trying to wash the car fully, but rinsing the nasty stuff of every week will help prevent rust from taking a hold. Clean water will not cause problems, but don't let it pool anywhere. Dry car off by driving before putting in a garage (trying not to get it too dirty....)
    Over here in NZ they don't salt the roads - instead they spread grit which really kills the paintwork if you get too close to the vehicle in front.

MickyB and DrSam like this.
  18. DrSam Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

There is No winning with the winter weather. Just need to take prevention action.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Great choice on choosing a Jazz.

You can also add your girlfriends car in the club garage. Instead of selecting 'Daily Driver' for 'Vehicle Use', You may select 'Partner's Car'

honda_saj likes this.
  19. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Which one did you get?
    I have put my GD to good use and it has never failed to amaze me. The space, reliability and flexibility is just amazing!!

DrSam likes this.
  20. MickyB Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It's not only car that get dirty.
    Our HGVs suffer tremendously with problems, the worst I find is, they have heated mirrors which you have to use in cold conditions, this paired with all the crap floating through the air at night leads to s crusty covering on the glass.
    There's nothing worse than travelling say 100kms on a motorway coming off a slip road into a town and finding you can't see the rear of the trailer because of it. It's a case of finding somewhere safe to stop and giving them a good clean and when you think you've done them moving on, only to find that as soon as you put your heaters on again they start to fog up again as the salty muck just seems to leave a layer on everything and you just can't get it off.
    Calls for some very careful driving and a full 8.5 litres of screenwash in the tank.

honda_saj, rimmo and legend-ary like this.