i-VTEC on L-Series

Discussion in 'Honda R/L-Series' started by kotarou, Wednesday 5th Jul, 2017.

1. kotarou Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Brazil Alex São Paulo
    This question is generic but in this case focused on the L-Series...

I heard that the i-VTEC = VTEC + VTC
    Which means variable timing and lift

However this is not clear on the L-Series, specifically the L13Z3 (L13A).

I found this material, which is great but does not solve my doubt.
    Honda Worldwide | Technology Picture Book | i-VTEC

Does anybody knows if this is true and what kind is used on L13Z3?

2. h22betterthank20 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland anon ano falkirk
    L13a = single overhead cam
    L13b = double overhead cam

both labled i-VTEC

3. kotarou Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Brazil Alex São Paulo
    Yes, SOHC and DOHC.

However I think DOHC always have VTC and I'm not sure if the SOHC has.

4. i-DSI Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hmm, the L13 engines do not have DOHC.
    There a few versions:
    1) the basic one (I-DSI) as applied in Jazz (2005 EG), Civic (2006 - 2008). NO VTEC, one camshaft, 2 spark plugs/cylinder, 2 valves/cyl. appr. 86 BHP.
    2) 2 special versions for the Civic 4D hybrid and Insight: one camshaft, 2 stage VTEC for Insight, 3 stage VTEC for Civic, both 2 spark plugs/cylinder, 2 valves/cyl
    3) the 4valve version (100 BHP) as applied on later Jazz and Civic 2009 onwards. One camshaft, 1 sparkplug/cyl, 2 stage VTEC.

Having VTEC or i-VTEC does not depend on the number of camshafts or valves/cyl. It's a commercial name.

5. kotarou Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Brazil Alex São Paulo
  6. i-DSI Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Yeah... but that's not only for the L-series.... Have a look at the engine in my Accord.
    A 2 liter, 16 valve, SOHC, and branded 'i-VTEC'. The only (but remarkable) thing it does is retarding one of the 2 intake valves while closing, under certain conditions.

7. harry22673 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I thought that there's something to do with oil pressure where it opens intake and exhaust earlier
    Which is where the intelligent part comes from

8. i-DSI Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    With opening earlier I believe you refer to a bigger overlap of the valve timing. But that has got nothing to do with the i-... as the very first VTEC (1.6 in CR-X) already had this.
    The part where you refer to oil pressure is the way the whole system is driven: with oil pressure. No matter what variant we are talking about, they are all driven by oil pressure. No relation with i... neither. Believe me guys, it's nothing more or less than a commercial name, a way to subsribe all the things that are possible with the VTEC system, not only make the engine more powerfull with a bigger overlap. Last generations of VTEC were especially made to make the engines more economical (like in the Jazz, my Accord, Insight...).

Nels likes this.