Engine & Gearbox Idler and tensioner bearing

Discussion in 'Honda K-Series' started by RandomDan, Friday 9th Feb, 2018.

1. RandomDan Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

So either the belt idler or tension is screeching like a bitch but I can't easily tell which.
    Are the bearings in both of them the same or are they different?
    :tut: if I'm gonna pay 30quid a pulley if the bearings are only a fiver each!

2. Hondalad Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Steve Derbyshire
    Do you mean for the chain or the auxiliary belt?

I suppose a chain idler wouldn't screech. I did the idler pulley bearing on my EP3 the other day. I'll find the bearing number out.

EDIT: It's a 6203 bearing for the top idler pulley. Either 2Z or 2RS it doesn't matter really it just means either metal or rubber shielded. The original is a 6203-2RS.

andy83 likes this.
  3. worsley Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

New Zealand graeme Taumarunui
    When my K20a has been sitting ,in my garage,more than a couple of days,it sometimes squeals for a few seconds on start up.I am wondering if it is worth putting a new belt on it and what the consequences might be if I don't.Visually the belt looks ok.When parked,something drains the battery more than it should and it gets down about 12.6v.I wonder if the alternator would immediately load the belt as it puts out a big charge causing the belt to squeal until the charge starts to taper off?

4. Hondalad Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Steve Derbyshire
    My B series used to do this until I tightened the alternator belt, they run separate belts on those though. It can't be not tight on your K20 because it's auto tensioned so it must be a worn belt unless the auto tensioner is starting to go.