Japanese Power tools

Discussion in 'Tools & Equipment' started by Denso23, Monday 31st Oct, 2016.

1. Denso23 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Denso23 London
    guys over the last few months I have been doing some renovation work for my parents. I had some budget to buy power tools and bought some makita and panasonic power tools.

All I can say is the products are unbelievable good. Panasonic make the best cordless drills, they battery lasts forever, drill is rock solid, brushless motor so strong.

Bought a makita 12 inch miter saw, it unreal with quality of cuts, and stronger engine to withstand nuclear test.

If you want quality stick to these brands

legend-ary likes this.
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hitachi hand tools for me Makita was good but a bit not the same like the early 2000's but Hitachi has that 80's feel of engineering feel about it which is solid. I got rid of all my teal coloured tools for the green Hitachi.

3. Denso23 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Denso23 London
    Low end makita not good, makita top line still quality. Hitachi is also good , but there bottom line is not so good

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The old adage you get what you pay for , same like Blueprint tools and Span-on tools made by the same company.

5. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Its funny how things go. I work at a builders merchants, so see lots of tradesfolk about, a lot of them in this area swear by Makita stuff, though its the high end gear rather than the low end stuff they use, as naturally they are using these tools day in and day out so they have to be reliable. To be honest, I saw very few returns from Makita, with the exception of the BL1830 batteries which used to give problems, however this was explained to me by a rep that a lot of the time it was down to people discharging them too much so that the charger could not charge them properly, which I think as now been addressed.
    its usually in trim saws and angle grinders that caused the most problems. When the batteries got low the machine stops the builder things "oh its not working" tries the switch again and the machine works so he finishes off his cuts with the machine cutting out a few more times. The battery has to have a min 10% still left in it for the charger to be able to recharge it properly and start the charge cycle. when the tradesman has gone beyond that, the battery is as good as dead (which they often do)

Dewalt used to be really good, then they went downhill, but think they are on their way back up.

Milwaukee, well don't even bother. for the most part the tools are average (though had quite a lot of failures in the couple of years that I've been selling them, more than Makita) but its the aftersales service that really lets them down in the UK, a shambles at best, they are the UK distributors of Ryobi as well.

Ichiban and Nels like this.
  6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  7. bugsb Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Ron northants
    i use alot of different tools in my work one very good tip never buy a new battery pack when the old has gone duff
    open the case and you will see mostly sub-c cells so if you are any good at soldering remove cells buy new tagged cells make a copy of the original pack and job done most packs come as a 1200-1800mah setup i replace with 2100mah
    if you want a chop saw for life as a diy user evolution tools look them up great bit of kit
    RON

legend-ary and SpeedyGee like this.
  8. AccordCU2 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

At work we use Hilti screwdrivers and hammer drills and they are fantastic.
    Heavily used all day long and last forever.

Harvey likes this.