Jazz battery goes flat over night

Discussion in 'Steam Room' started by sagaman, Wednesday 9th May, 2018.

1. sagaman New Member Getting Started

Wales GRAHAM pembroke
    Over the last 12 months my battery has gone flat over night,nothing has been left on,agent has checked but can find no fault .any ideas please. graham

2. JockoT Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Nowhere
  3. Sandy52 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Sandy NORWICH
    Have the battery checked, this is a five minutes job, via a load test. If the battery is OK then you could have a "live" circuit" that is draining it. This is not always easy to find, and you may need the help of an auto electrician. Some people have had trouble with the roof light, with a faulty switch. If you have to buy a new battery get the biggest one that will fit. There is no point in fitting a small battery. Is the battery being charged properly? You can check with the right kit or get some else to do it, or do you have lots of short runs and the battery cannot be properly recharged.

4. sagaman New Member Getting Started

Wales GRAHAM pembroke
    Thanks a lot I think you are right ,its just that we only do short runs most of the time, I did notice that it is a very small battery and we have a lot of traffic lights in town, every time we stop the engine cuts out to save petrol hence a big drain on the battery when it starts again. Graham

5. JockoT Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Nowhere
    A couple of points since my previous post. The Jazz has a small battery because the space allocated to it is small. Fitting a bigger one is not an option. With the engine cut off you should have a special battery.
    https://www.kwik-fit.com/batteries/information/start-stop-batteries gives useful information.
    The Jazz boot light can be triggered by a shopping bag trapped in the tailgate seal. I should show as an open door on the dash, but that doesn't help if you have parked the car for the night.

6. Sandy52 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Sandy NORWICH
    We recently had to replace the battery in my wifes car ( 4 yrs old and very low mileage). It was a stop/start battery. With stop/start functions, the car engine should stop at traffic lights, this is normal, but it should only do it if the car is up to temperature and the battery is fully charged. In my wifes car she wasn't driving for long enough so the battery wasn't being fully charged, and it eventually failed, even after a few re charges.
    If the Stop/start is working when the car is cold, and the battery not fully charged then something is wrong with the system. A good garage should give you the results of their diagnostic test and explain what they mean, and advise what needs to be done. It is up to you to decide then what your next step will be.

We put in the biggest stop start ( expensive) battery that was acceptable but you may not have that choice. Batteries do not last forever and the recent bad (cold) winter damaged a lot of car batteries.
    Note that you can tell the garage to switch off the Stop/Start system, but if is working to standard there is no need.

Good luck.