Dealers/Garages JHW Autos - Use at your own risk

Discussion in 'Dealers, Garages & Body Shops' started by RogerH69, Monday 5th Feb, 2018.

1. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    Just a quick warning about a paint shop / body shop that's doing the rounds on the various forums that I'd strongly recommend AGAINST using - JHW Autos in Banbury, owned by Joel Wharton.

His pricing may be competitive (bordering on quite cheap), and he may have some shining reviews for some work he's done, but that does not excuse the way he treated my car, or the delays in getting a 3 / 4 day job done (more like 3 / 4 weeks). More details on my personal experience here

He flatly denies using the car, and after I challenged him about using my car to drive from Banbury to Oxford and then to jump start his partner's Land Rover, he says "I will put my hands up it might have been me who tryed to jump start the car but I have not driven it". On this occasion, I actually DO see him in front of the car in Bicester.

His work (though massively delayed, with endless excuses about him not being happy with his work, so having to re-do it to ensure I am happy) is mostly good, and yes it was cheap, but that is NOT how you treat your customers. I've also now heard that a lot of other people are complaining about him (* Please see here *)

Last edited: Saturday 10th Feb, 2018
    andy83 likes this.
  2. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    mate how can some people like him feel it is ok to do what he has done, also did you have dash cam proof..
    Thanks
    Andy

3. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

I have dashcam proof. I'm considering reporting him for Taking With Out Consent, as he drove it obviously outside of any requirement for collecting car from me and delivering it again

And after more detailed inspection, I take back what I said about his workmanship. That's shite too..
    IMG_20180204_113728. IMG_20180204_113741. IMG_20180204_113758. IMG_20180204_120704. IMG_20180206_190737. IMG_20180206_190835. IMG_20180206_190954. IMG_20180206_191030. IMG_20180206_191037.

In addition, I KNOW that the car was not leaking as much oil, giving off smoke and the smell of burning when I gave it to him. Yes, it WAS leaking oil SLIGHTLY before I replaced the oil pressure switch, but it was NOT that bad. In fact, I removed and refitted, and then removed and refitted original oil pressure switch and eventually crawled under the car with the engine running to find the oil was leaking from somewhere ABOVE the oil pressure switch and dropping ONTO the switch, hence why I thought it was the switch. This was not noticeable without the engine running. My car did NOT do this before he had it !!

andy83 likes this.
  4. Mellykins14 Member

England melissa Uk
    This :tut: ! Joel did this to my old corsa I wanted a full re spray show room condition! U should have see what I got ! Was disgusting I've seen blind people with blow pens do a better job with out a stencil!! After 5 weeks of leaving me with out a car he told me his mum died ( week 1 ) week two his car broke down ( week 3) he had holiday booked ! ( week 4 ) his mate needed to help him ( week 5) gave it me back in the evening so it was dark ! Next day I cried I have him 800 quid up front and he blew it up his :tut: nose on coke !! Never saw a penny back ! Got people to threaten me! ( yawn ) I tried trading standards but they didn't want to know! All in all... don't trust this :tut:! He didn't even put the wheels back on properly and I have isis rescues to thank for me not dying on the motorway! Your day will come mate !! Oh just you wait !! Oh and he sent me pictures of his :tut: ( don't know what was worse my car or his pictures ) my boyfriend had a good laugh tho !! Don't trust this skummy coke sniffing :tut:!!

And breathe rant over !

5. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Wow. Sorry to hear that. With me he had some delays from his mum falling down the stairs, then some holiday. And last week his grandfather died. I'm still considering whether to report his company for for TWOC. At least he only has me for £280, and I didn't pay him the last £120.

Last edited: Thursday 8th Feb, 2018
  6. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

As Joel has said to me in Facebook, I have not told the whole story... After the numerous delays, as compensation, he treated some rust (I think I mentioned this above) and did a full polish. This apparently is £400 of work. And as I said, I did not make the final payment of £120, which HE said I did not have to do, I did not take the car and then decline to pay. And yes, he allowed me to pay in instalments - once again, he offered this to me, I did not ask for it. The last payment was 2 weeks ago, with me being decent enough to pay the second instalment BEFORE getting the the car back, being promised "you will get it back perfect on Friday", and then only getting it on Saturday the following week, and still not perfect.

That said.... as the pictures show, the work is STILL not done properly, not even after the second respray, and now that I have finally got the car back on the road, after tracking down where the burning smell was coming from (which 'whoever' drove the car commented on and even said 'something is burning in this car' and then carried on using it as a runaround - and the car was NOT like that the first time Joel had it, or when I gave it back to him for the respray), I have discovered that the car's tracking is HORRIBLY off, and dangerously so - once again, not how it was when I handed it over. I will admit balancing was off ad 60 to 70 mph, but tracking was spot on previously.

Also, Joel HAS offered to take the car back to re-do the work (I was told I can drop the car off and remove the battery so no-one will drive it....) but I firstly do not see why I need the car to go back TWICE, and secondly, I am not willing to risk it.

7. jazzway Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Netherlands Marlène Maasgouw
    So first his mum died and later she felt down the stairs...? :Nuts:

But i can't get over the fact that he was driving in your (a customer) car!

andy83 and RogerH69 like this.
  8. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

In response to that...., I thought I'd mentioned this before, but reading back I see that I said that he denied driving the car. In addition to this, he said the checked the CCTV at his workshop and saw the person that was taking my car and sacked him. I have asked for the name of this person and pictures from CCTV showing them taking my car, at which stage I would obviously apologize for saying it was him driving the car - I have yet to receive this information.

Last edited: Saturday 10th Feb, 2018
  9. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

When I made the original post, I said "I've also now heard that a lot of other people are complaining about him". This was based on what someone told me on a Facebook forum. Since then I was informed that this was in relation to excessive advertising on the Facebook forum. I went back to the person that told me about the other complaints, and they have confirmed that direct complaints to them were not specifically regarding the work carried out, but rather other issues.

10. Mugen_fd2 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

London