Intake System K&N Panel Filter

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Kris, Tuesday 12th Sep, 2017.

1. Kris Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Wales Kris Milford haven
    Hello,
    I know this has is a bit of an age old question, but has anyone, or is anyone using a K&N panel filter in a 2.0 petrol? Does it make any noticeable gains, even minimal? There seems to be confliction of opinion regarding the effectiveness of these filters. There are some that support gains made and dyno readouts to back this and others that are sceptical and disregard any increase in performance. I know they offer an increase in service life, but in theory also increase airflow which could possibly provide some margin of gain in power.

andy83 and Harvey like this.
  2. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm running a stock and genuine Honda filter myself, but I know what you mean and where you come from. If they do offer an Improved performance increase, chances are it will be will be minimal and hardly noticeable. Modern ECU's with their range of sensors measure the airflow into an engine and measure the exact amount of fuel needed to combust. I suspect even with the increased airflow through a filter such as a K&N or Green Cotton, ITG, Pipercross filter it won't make that much difference due to the measured air on a stock tune. What you may find though is the increase in induction noise, which is what a lot of those filters increase and to be honest who doesn't like induction noise?

now bear in mind I am basing this on my opinion, and not 100% fact, so take it how you wish (not meaning to sound rude or anything)

Kris and Sphinx like this.
  3. Sphinx Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I used a K&N Panel filter in my last car (BMW) - and it removed a flat spot in the rev range - MPG dropped by around 3-4 which was expected - but the car ran and breathed a little better. These filters also have a light coating of oil (yes this air filter its oiled) - I have heard some reports that oil particles can eventually clog up the MAF and may require cleaning - but this can be due to owners over oiling the filter (I think it has be done every 25k - but could be wrong). I never oiled mine when I had it - just the factory coating on it - I can't see you will get much performance gains out of it - it would be so very minimal and wouldn't even bother dyno-ing it.

Although the above was based on my experience on using one on a BMW - it will be car dependent - would I put one on my Honda if it was a petrol? Probably not.

Cold induction kit might be better and may give better performance - but I haven't fitted or used one these before.

With performance mods in general - its lots of smaller things added together to make a bigger change - i.e. air filter, exhaust, throttle body, cam shaft etc.. this is where you see you the most gains.

You can always buy one and give it try - then sell it if its not for you.

Hope this helps.

Bones126 and andy83 like this.
  4. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    Just stick a cheese grater in, you may notice better performance than a K & N filter.

5. Kris Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Wales Kris Milford haven
    Thanks for the replys, on the whole there seems to be a greater balance against them than for. They seem to sell well though, but as mentioned probably brought in conjunction with other performance mods. I like the idea of having one, but won't bother if there is no real gain and the potential for MAF issues.

6. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    Hi @Kris are you looking at doing it with a K series...
    Thanks
    Andy

7. Kris Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Wales Kris Milford haven
    Hi Andy,

Yes K20a6.

Thanks

8. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

9. Bones126 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

England Dave Birmingham
    Just fitting a K&N filter in a car won't give you if at all noticeable power gains due to the power to weight ratio of the gain, however, if you are fitting one and having the car remapped to add extra fuel then this is where it comes into play and you will benefit from fitting one. One of those all the little mods build up as Sphinx says. by adding a performance exhaust to the mix is where they definitely come into play as you are getting more air in and out quicker which is where the power gain comes from (along with other mods).

Nels, Kris and andy83 like this.
  10. Kris Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Wales Kris Milford haven
    Thanks, that makes sense. I won't be changing the exhaust because I put a new genuine Honda one on for £230. Was thinking of getting it remapped, but probably not worth it. I would like a bit more power, so should have brought a 2.4, but was put off by the running cost. Day to day I just run the kids to school and go to work so couldn't really justify it. Would have been nice to have the six gear and extra power on the open road though

Harvey likes this.
  11. Sphinx Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Try filling up with V-Power Petrol now and again - it should perform a little better.

Nels and Bones126 like this.
  12. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

also keep oil and filter changes regular, also have you ever cleaned your EGR plate..
    Thanks
    Andy

Bones126 likes this.
  13. Kris Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Wales Kris Milford haven
    I change the oil and filter every 6k and recently clean the erg valve, erg plate and throttle body. Going to change the fuel filter in the next week or two. Was also thinking of cleaning the injectors. Not sure whether to get them done via a professional company, or just the diy method with a 12v battery connection and carb cleaner. I think I will also try a tank of v power now and again as suggested. Might change the plugs for performance ones too, but doubt this will have much impact. Might help as an accumulation of improvements though.

14. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

hello mate why not fit the same plugs as in k24 which are iridium spark plugs if i'm right, also you can get good injector cleaner and vpower would be good..
    Thanks
    Andy

Kris likes this.
  15. Bones126 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

England Dave Birmingham
    As for a remap, lots or for and against discussion on here about it. I had an economy map put in my 2.2 ICTDI and I have noticed the difference in low down grunt, which is where I wanted it, but a remap will make a difference.

Sphinx, andy83 and Harvey like this.
  16. Sphinx Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Might be worth noting - last time I went to main dealers for an MOT - they did a software update on the car - this will effectively wipe out any remap you have on the car.

I am sure a read something somewhere - that this is part of MOT now (at dealers anyway). Will try and find some more info.

17. Bones126 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

England Dave Birmingham
    Interesting and worth knowing, cheers.

18. Kris Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Wales Kris Milford haven
    It's known to be worth while remapping a diesel, but is it worth remapping a NA engine? I suppose it would only be noticeable with an induction intake and exhaust fitted.

andy83 and Harvey like this.
  19. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

it depends, a lot of the time even with petrols manufacturers work to create the best combination of fuel economy, emissions and reliability. there are companies out there that can flash ECU's to create more power from the same engine, by changing the fuel map. there is a guy on Facebook doing a reflash, and I am pretty sure that @K24 CL9 GUY had one for his K24 and I think saw a 20hp gain.

K24 CL9 GUY, Kris and andy83 like this.
  20. Sphinx Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Bones126 and Harvey like this.