1. andy83 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    well done Katto another reliable :gohonda:...

legend-ary likes this.
  2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Well done Katto !!

legend-ary and andy83 like this.
  3. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Good to see its sorted Legend and katto given lease of life for another year, you shouldn't worry too much, its a Honda they will run forever on basic maintenance.

legend-ary and andy83 like this.
  4. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Some updates
    I was called by a neighbour that council is doing the footpath right next to my car and I better have a look.. so I ran outside and came across this scene.
    IMG_9486.JPG IMG_9489.JPG IMG_9488.JPG IMG_9484.JPG IMG_9491.JPG IMG_9496.JPG IMG_9494.JPG
    I couldn't believe my eyes and confronted them that there were no notices that they wold be doing any work .. look what they have done.. the whole car was covered in dried out tar. They couldn't give a damn and tried dusting it off with their gloves but I stopped them immediately to not touch it as it will just scratch everything.. called council and they refused to accept that there is any work being done. Wrote them an email but no response.

Anyway went ahead and got the car pressure washed as it was filthy.. thankfully all came off but even though I personally cleaned the wipers myself again I can see a couple of scratches in the swipe area! urgh..

anyone got any suggestions on how to clean windscreen scratches?

At the car wash I was suprised to see a couple of these.. strange that owners of $60k cars can't be bothered to get them cleaned properly and would rather pay £6
    IMG_9611.JPG IMG_9612.JPG
    - - - Updated - - -
    Oh and I was returning from a dinner and felt the headlights feel a bit dim... got out to check and it looks like low beam on one of the headlights is gone :/
    Unfortunately my usual resource at hondafitjazz.com is no longer working so have to figure out how to change it .. I am guessing it would be through the wheel arch

exec and DrSam like this.
  5. andy83 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

6. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Thanks @andy83 for the link. It looks like a full polishing kit.. Ill try and find a less intensive process which can be applied by hand so I have more control but if there is no option I will probably go for it.

7. andy83 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

mate I wondered if a trade car detailer might have a product that can be used by hand as some products can be used both ways I much prefer anything that can been done by hand instead of machine....

honda_saj likes this.
  8. MickyB Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Are they only light scratches as you can get things like Auto Glym glass cleaner that will take light scratches out.
    Hope you sent the council some of the photographs they look a right bunch of layabouts, and typical council workers??? 2 working and 3 watching.

andy83, legend-ary and Zoot like this.
  9. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

I'll have a look at this AutoGlymn as the scratches are not too deep but I can see them in changing light

10. FirstHonda Moderator Staff Team

@legend-ary

Local authorities have a consultation process that they must follow. Precedent says that they must follow what they insist other stakeholders follow.

My authority guidelines are below, but all should be similar or exactly the same.

Temporary Traffic Regulation Orders | Wiltshire Council

I wouldn't bother complaining to the council direct, as they'll assume you don't know the rules and will either ignore or try to brush off. I'd consult with Citizens Advice (free) and then take them straight to the small claims court (assuming CA confirm there is a case) for a correction payment. They are unlikely to defend (most are too inefficient and pass such things from dept to dept until it is too late as nobody wants to take responsibility) and you win. Best case, you win and they don't pay and you can instruct the bailiffs to go into a council building (with associated local press on hand, naturally).

Another fun thing is to put in FOI requests. Ask them what their process is for stakeholder notification for works on the highway, then ask on how many occasions they have failed to follow their own process. If they fail to answer, or dodge the question, go straight to the Information Commissioner. Councils HATE that as there can be an investigation.

Have fun. Remember, they work for you!

11. andy83 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

DrSam likes this.
  12. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Wow I did not know that. I did try and call council at that exact moment only to be passed around and their highways dept refused to believe that there is any work being done in the street. I gave up but not before telling them that in that case someone has stolen your van, better call the police.
    IMG_9499.JPG IMG_9500.JPG IMG_9502.JPG

13. FirstHonda Moderator Staff Team

It is good that you have photographic evidence.

Use it, and make them pay. Even if you don't end up with any financial recompense, it is good to remind them of their obligations and the risk of challenge.

A couple of years ago, my previous local authority did something with which I didn't agree. Having failed to get a satisfactory response, I asked a few FOI questions, then got the issue tabled at a council meeting where the public are allowed to attend and ask questions.

I managed to get the councillor responsible to be compelled to attend (he tried not to) and managed to get the Chair to reprimand him as he hadn't followed due process. That was minuted, and therefore forms part of the public record - forever.

Safe to say he wasn't happy (he walked out). But I bet he won't try to do things like that again...

IMHO there is little worse than locally elected or employed officials acting either with arrogance, distain or incompetence.

honda_saj, exec, MickyB and 2 others like this.
  14. andy83 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

council works are so dam annoying I remember few years ago washing the car and they was stood watching next minute when I'd fished and was packing away they started stil sawing concrete id only just gone back in hour so there concrete dust ended up all over the car ...:drill::construction:

honda_saj likes this.
  15. DrSam Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
    @legend-ary
    Sorry the hear what happened.
    The council are liable for the damage. They are not allowed to work near cars like that.
    And they have obviously damage it.
    @FirstHonda has gave really good advice and it's the correct way to go about it. I have used CAB before, they are really helpful. Give them a ring as soon as possible. You have a good case on your hand.
    - - - Updated - - -
    In regards to your headlight, wheel arch is the best way to go.
    Have a look at this
    DIY: Changing Headlight Bulbs - Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

16. honda_saj Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom saj east london
    Keep us posted mate

sent using tapatalk

DrSam and andy83 like this.
  17. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Had a bit of a go at this.
    As I was doing it by the side of the road I couldn't take the wheel off. Removed one clip that everyone suggests and it was impossible to pry it far enough to get the hand in.. removed two more but still it was impossible to reach the bulb as in UK spec cars there seems to be additional wires in the way.. had a look at the repair manual and that suggests doing this:
    fender.PNG
    All this to change a BULB! abandoned the work and will come back to it later.. will explore the idea of removing whole headlight to change the bulb as that can be done from top.

honda_saj likes this.
  18. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

So managed to change both headlight bulbs today. First one took the longest but that gave me understanding of the process so other side was easy. Most of the time was spent jacking up the car and undoing the wheels.

Went for Osram CoolBlue Intense which are not too bright but definitely more white. Here is the original bulb with non-working low beam
    IMG_9692.JPG
    The replacement, interestingly it is not as tall as the OEM.
    IMG_9696.JPG
    Here are the results
    IMG_9722.JPG IMG_9721.JPG

I know I know... the side markers look totally out of place. I don't like sharpness of LEDs so will look for whiter halogens.

exec, Duc de Pommfrit, DrSam and 3 others like this.
  19. andy83 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

legend-ary and honda_saj like this.
  20. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Actually council just sent me a letter that it was one of their contractor and they will get in touch with me soon to sort everything. I am not after compensation as I love my Jazz way too much so glad it didn't get damaged due to tar residue and only the windscreen got scratched which is what I'll present to them.
    Let's see what happens.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Those bulbs look good actually. Exactly what I need. Just need to get myself to commit to both wheels off, arch liner off hassle for these. :/
    - - - Updated - - -
    Same bulbs on eBay are £5 with free delivery but as they are the same brand and type I'm sure they are perfect match. Cheers @andy83