Electrical & Lights Kb1 legend alternator

Discussion in '4th Generation (2004-2012) [Acura RL]' started by vincemince, Sunday 6th May, 2018.

1. vincemince Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Anyone got a Honda part number for- alternator KB1 manufacture year 2007 Looks likes it could be on way out.

Cheers

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Lings has this for the UK 2007 Legend.

ALTERNATOR ASSY. (CSD69) (DENSO) 31100RJAA02 £755.76

There are 15 other component parts also listed.

E__0610.

3. vincemince Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

£ 755 Ouch . :money::money::money:

Thanks @Nels
    Have to wait till Tuesday to confirm diagnosis but I suspect it is the alternator
    The number 31100 RJA A02 is that the Honda number or Acura number or are both the same number
    (bit confused - I searched and found the Acura number but not Honda number)

4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

You may be able to replace the failed component.
    I'm sure HH would be able to offer a better price.

5. vincemince Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

6. captain trumpy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Captain East Sussex
    Hmm, another Legend Alternator failure. Mine packed up at 71000 miles. Strange symptoms started appearing until eventually it stopped working altogether. As I recall I got one from a Honda dealer for around £580. Clearly an issue as it should last a bit longer than 70K.

7. vincemince Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Done 72k miles - Somewhat disappointed as previous 1999 T reg. legend was still working after 13 years 125k miles
    Again a few symptoms - memory seat not fully setting - alarm going off one occasion - not starting up fist time once -
    Odd idle speed drop - once - all over a two month period
    Then system check warning and SHAWD warning check system
    Global pricing of the Denso csd69 varies greatly
    Quoted New
    Netherlands £1555
    USA imported and all taxes paid circa £450
    Canada circa £135 ( will not ship to overseas)
    UK £703

Makes one wonder if the life expectancy is 70k ish

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  9. vincemince Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks @Ichiban
    Already done through local auto factors with AEG 1226 - Was just surprised at the cost and the variation globally

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yeah I know bud.. extortionist brings to mind however get the guys replacing the alternator to check belt tensioner if not overloading the belt with too much tension as that causes all the faults.

andy83 likes this.
  11. vincemince Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Really ? Overtensioned belt causes problems ?
    How do you measure the correct tension ?

Something like this I presume

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yes mate the pulley on the alternator if is has too much tension it will prematurely wear the alternator bearing on the pulley out, so you replace the new alternator and is the tensioner is not right the new alternator will pop too.

So going off the WSM get the guy to check this.

Drive Belt Auto-Tensioner Inspection

Check the position of the auto-tensioner indicator's pointer (A). Start the engine, then check the position again with the engine idling. If the position of the indicator moves or fluctuates very much, replace the auto-tensioner .

upload_2018-5-11_23-28-57.

Check for abnormal noise from the tensioner pulley. If you hear abnormal noise, replace the auto-tensioner pulley .
    Remove the drive belt .
    Move the auto-tensioner within its limit with the belt tension release tool in the direction shown. Check that the tensioner moves smoothly and without any abnormal noise. If the tensioner does not move smoothly or you hear abnormal noises, replace the auto-tensioner .
    Remove the auto-tensioner .
    upload_2018-5-11_23-31-26.
    With power steering: Clamp the auto-tensioner (A) by using a 10 mm bolt (B), 8 mm bolt (C), and a vise (D) as shown. Do not clamp the auto-tensioner itself.
    upload_2018-5-11_23-32-19.
    With electrical power steering: (LKAS ADAS cars) clamp the auto-tensioner (A) by using a 8 mm bolt (B), 6 mm bolt (C), and a vise (D) as shown. Do not clamp the auto-tensioner itself.
    upload_2018-5-11_23-32-59.

Attach a torque wrench (A) to the pulley bolt. Measure the torque when the tensioner is turned counterclockwise. If the torque is less than the specified value, replace the auto-tensioner .
    Auto-tensioner Spring Torque
    With Power Steering:
    50.5 N·m (5.15 kgf·m, 37.2 lbf·ft)
    With Electrical Power Steering:
    23.6 N·m (2.41 kgf·m, 17.4 lbf·ft) min.
    upload_2018-5-11_23-34-9.

Attach a torque wrench (A) to the pulley bolt. Measure the torque when the tensioner is turned counterclockwise. If the torque is less than the specified value, replace the auto-tensioner .
    Auto-tensioner Spring Torque
    With Power Steering:
    50.5 N·m (5.15 kgf·m, 37.2 lbf·ft)
    With Electrical Power Steering:
    23.6 N·m (2.41 kgf·m, 17.4 lbf·ft) min.

upload_2018-5-11_23-34-52.

andy83 likes this.
  13. vincemince Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Will do - Cheers @Ichiban
    Time for bed said zebedee :zen::zen::zen:

andy83 and Ichiban like this.
  14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    if the tensioner is cream crakered

Then :Smile:
    Drive Belt Auto-Tensioner Pulley Replacement

With Power Steering
    Remove the auto-tensioner .
    Remove the pulley bolt (A) (left-hand threads), and remove the tensioner pulley (B).
    Install the tensioner pulley in the reverse order of removal.
    upload_2018-5-12_0-1-39.

With Electrical Power Steering
    Remove the drive belt .
    Remove the pulley bolt (A) (left-hand threads), and remove the tensioner pulley (B).
    Install the tensioner pulley in the reverse order of removal.
    upload_2018-5-12_0-2-29.

vincemince and andy83 like this.
  15. captain trumpy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Captain East Sussex
    I reckon the cause is failure of an electrical component inside the Alternator. Twice after testing, my Honda dealer said it was fine, but the strange symptoms kept occurring. A week later it packed up altogether. I still have the old one, and a close sniff reveals that telling odour of burnt electrics. The bearings on the old one are fine, spinning smoothly and no detectable play on the shaft.

16. vincemince Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sounds about right definite burning smell when it was last running. It was tested three times and working ok but later on problems kept kicking in . Probably something on the way out