Off-Topic Know anything about Watches?

Discussion in 'Lounge & Gossip' started by Primarycare, Wednesday 9th Jan, 2013.

1. eternal422 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Been looking at watches myself later. I've got a Tissot PRC200 I wear everyday. Nice watch for around £200, Swiss quartz movement. There's also Rotary which may be worth a look. I'm considering Omega as a possible daily wear -but as you say, if there's a chance of damage to it, it wouldn't be worth risking.

Primarycare likes this.
  2. Primarycare Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Well finally bought a new watch.

Gone for Seiko again as been happy with the old one and their automatics have a great reputation for reliability and long life..

Here it is

Seiko 5.
    Updated Seiko 5 (Japanese made version) :Happy:

Should have it in a couple of days...

Last edited: Sunday 20th Jan, 2013
  3. Great choice, that looks the business.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  5. AccordCU2 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Brum
    Looks very nice,like it:Thumbup:

6. Primarycare Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks guys.

Wanted to stay with the Japanese stuff as I think they are as good as the swiss but cheaper plus go forever without a service, at this price I don't mind too much... The Omega costs more than this Sekio for a service.

I am a big fan of Seiko automatics, they are not the most accurate automatic out there but your only talking + - 2 - 4 seconds a day if that and they can be adjusted faster/slower, they are robust damn near indestructible even my old busted one still runs but face and glass are shot. Japanese quality takes some beating...

7. vzh7gk Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Graham Cheltenham
    I was going to suggest a Vostok (Rusian made) for a reasonable watch. The wriststraps are rubbish, but are easy to replace with something decent. Not expensive and usually reliable.
    I don't like being without a watch, but am forever breaking them. Presently carry a cheap Casio in a fob pocket (even a pocket watch only lasted 15 months). No gaurantee the new Vostok will outlast it, but I won't have spent a lot.

Cheers,
    Graham

8. Primarycare likes this.
  9. AccordCU2 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Brum
    Like the look of that one.

10. Primarycare Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hey thats a nice sleek Casio, I like the dual display to. Kinda goes against the automatics theame I like but I like the style of that watch.. Nice one :Thumbup:

11. Cheers - only drawback is that it's solar powered - I'd have preferred a kinetic because I wear long sleeves all week so I'll just have to make sure it gets enough sun.

12. Primarycare Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Nice all the same though bud.. :Smile:

13. FirstHonda Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Ed Wiltshire
    I know nothing about watches, and had never bought my own until last week. Had two Seiko automatics over the years, both given to me by my father when he changed his. He always stuck with Seiko and still wears one now.

One died following a direct hit in a game of 5-a-side football (!), the last one (c30 years old) is just beginning to get a bit unreliable. A service/clean would probably have sorted it but I decided to finally go for a new one.

Chose Seiko again - a Solar Titanium - nice and understated. Given how good the previous ones have been, I saw no reason to change. Brand loyalty at its best - choice driven by positive, personal, experience.

Primarycare likes this.
  14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Time for an update came across these two watches of Honda access, get ordering if you have a collection :Smile:

Honda Men's Classic Watch
    Steel chronograph, Seiko SII VD57 clockwork, Chronograph indication by the large second hand, Steel watchcase with fix bezel, Steel crown push buttons and butterfly buckle with brown croco leather strap and brown stitches Clock-face with inner ring Indexes in relief, Luminous hands, Date indication, Mineral glass, Honda logo on clock face and caseback, 5ATM waterproof (50m).

Honda Part Number 08MLW-13G-WATMP

4646. 4649.

Honda Men's Sports Watch

Steel chronograph, Seiko SII VD57 clockwork, Chronograph indication by second hand, Black steel watchcase with unidirectional bezel, Black steel crown with lower pushbutton and strap buckle, Red anodysed upper push button, Black rubber strap, Clock-face with inner ring, Indexes and background in relief, Luminous hands, Date indication, Mineral glass, HONDA logo on clock face and caseback, 5ATM waterproof (50m).

Honda Part Number 08MLW-13G-WATMS

4650. 4651. 4652.

15. srgibbs Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The classic watch is modelled on the "Carrera" by Tag Heuer. I bet the price of the Honda watch isn't £3,500+

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Chaps just digging up this thread can owners please post pictures of their watches need some clues to my next one.

17. FirstHonda Moderator Staff Team

18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  19. FirstHonda Moderator Staff Team

I prefer "understated" :Wink: but admit to not really being a "watch" person!!

20. Primarycare Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

What you after bud?

Are you looking for a chronograph battery Jobi or an auto? Seiko do a massive range of Automatics and very reasonable prices in the "Seiko 5" range. If buying on ebay watch out for the fakes there are loads of them and I would tend to go for a "Japanese" built model rather than the Chinese equivalent.