General Legend 2007 Main agent service Yes or No.

Discussion in '4th Generation (2004-2012) [Acura RL]' started by Lotofrot, Tuesday 13th Mar, 2018.

1. Lotofrot Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Freddie Barnet
    Have had this fully loaded 2007 Legend for almost a year now. Has always been serviced by main agent. Should I continue with a main agent for service as I now want some work done? I live in Barnet North London.
    Like the car, but not happy with the driving position or the turning circle, or for that matter the performance and petrol consumption around town, but all the toys are fantastic, and the build quality. Like the Karma club. Lotofrot Paul.

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

The 'standard service jobs' can be completed by any competent mechanic. However, the Legend is not a standard car. It is far more than that.

I would say you need a fully trained Honda Tech to take care of your Legend. Therefore, if there is one in your area, an independent Honda service centre, an indie that happens to have an ex Honda Tech, or a main dealer.

andy83 likes this.
  3. Redvee Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Lancs
    Definitely, but check that the main dealer has experience of working on the Legend - not all of them have.

4. Malcolm B Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Malcolm B Queenborough
    Had my Sept. 2006 Legend for 2 years approaching. Had Full Honda Service History with the car which I bought from my bro-in-law............... mega money spent on it the last year of my bro-in-laws ownership BUT Honda FORGOT to change the cambelt nor change the gearbox and diff oil until I reminded him that these hadn't been done in the recommended service schedule. He was mortified and complained and they just said they had FORGOT about it !

Anyway all done now ( at his Honda main dealer ) and the car performs brilliantly. My indy mechanic who looks after my Lexus Ls400 has serviced the Honda fine last year but suggested that the Honda main dealer could replace the front pads and discs as these were due for change AND was cheaper than he could do the job/supply the parts. The main dealer quoted the price for this at £275 incl. when they gave the car a health check when it went in for the airbag recall.

So new MOT and this year's annual service due in a month or so after about 6k miles since last time

Car is on 115k miles now

I live with the quite poor turning circle ( compared to the Ls 400 ) and I have at last found a good driving position ( took me ages to find it ).

A different post covers the N/S door mirror glass replacement in throes. The driver's side wiper blade is Honda only part coz of it's inordinate length but cost about £16 with the rubber in it's holder shaftarm ( I pay £26.50 for both front wiper rubbers alone on my Ls400 BUT they do last 3 years, about 40k miles. )

All in all a great car but i do prefer my 1995 Lexus Ls 400 overall :Wink:

Malc

Lotofrot likes this.
  5. Lotofrot Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Freddie Barnet
    - - - Updated - - -
    Hallo Malcolm,
    Read your reply to my question about Main Dealer servicing again with interest.
    Just had major service with Brayley Honda in Enfield {the third since purchased in May 2017.}
    Not impressed and I think its the last time I will use a main agent. In fact I have written and complained and not the decency of a reply. Agree with the turning circle and must admit I miss my 4th Generation Lexus 4 litre. Like the handling of the Legend but not the performance. Would go back to the Lexus if I could afford it. But thanks again for your suggestions and help. Paul {lotofrot}

6. Malcolm B Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Malcolm B Queenborough
    Hi Freddie, I think the major issue is that without Full Main Dealer service history these cars might be difficult to sell-on, irrespective of the clear limitations we both have found with their competency ........... however I'm not intending to sell anytime soon and by the time I do, another few years may have passed and she becomes something of an ancient relic :Wink:

I only paid £4k for mine and tbh it was about half the price or less of an equivalent 2006 Ls430 AND with the AWD this winter she proved invaluable. I leave my 3rd Generation Ls400 at home in snow and ICE, she's uncontrollable usually, a mind of her own in those conditions with the rear wheel drive and fat tyres and being automatic. ( my third Ls400 in 17 years of solid ownership and driving these cars ...... each has been brilliant I must add )

However, the servicing and parts costs on the Legend are overall probably lower than the Ls400 : example, the recent 10 year / 100k mile Ls400 cambelt and waterpump change is an 8hr job and I know that from having it done to two of my Ls400 s over the years. My indy mechanic is well seasoned and very good at all he does.......... and of course a fraction of the price of Lexus ( now £186 an hour ) and Honda at I think £120 an hour.

Both cars are really quite brilliant for everyday and all day use and driving.

I'm not averse to doing 5/6000 miles over 4/5 weeks touring around Europe....... it's fun and what the Ls400 is best at..... a car for the Grand Tour

Not sure I would do that in the Honda Legend, mainly coz of the comparative tiny boot space

Whatever, enjoy your Legend, it's a very fine car :likeit:

Malc