Lifting Spot...

Discussion in '1st Generation (1999-2006)' started by 85bobtek, Friday 29th Sep, 2017.

1. 85bobtek Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Spot Barnsley
    ... Ok, so the 'search' function on this doesn't like me.
    I'd like to do a project one day in the future, and its all theoretical, so hear me out. Also bear in mind that off roading isn't a cheap sport, nither is modding, so I'm taking that into account.
    Now, I realise that HR-V's were never really meant to be serious mud pluggers, but like Freelander lovers I'm into the idea of soft-roading/greenlaning.

Firstly, has anybody ever heard of or seen somebody lifting their HR-V to fit either larger wheels OR off-road wheels to their current set? I've had a look around and most places cater for the usual suspects: land rover, mitsubishi, toyota, etc. But plenty provide lower kits for Hondas, which is no good for me.

I realise also that she's only partial 4x4; my understanding is that it kicks in when the front wheels skid? With that in mind could you force 4x4 operation by having less grippy tires on the front and super grippy on the back?

There's plenty of videos of folks ragging their standard ones through a field, churning it to pieces, but I suspect there's more can be done with these versatile beasts.

Any experts out there? Any advice given?

2. Kiwi Mark Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

New Zealand Mark Oxford
    Hi 85B! As you say, there are plenty of videos online, mostly from Russia, where lifted and big wheeled HR-Vs "doing it Rough". Beware though, most of those vehicles are 'end of life' and don't take the hammering too well or for too long. Putting a lift kit on will give you some more wheel travel and room for off road tyres but the down side is a lack of on road stability due to the car's narrow track and the rear wheel bearings in particular can be overloaded by large wheel/tyre combinations. Forcing the drive to the rear wheels is possible but wouldn't having less grippy tyres up front kind of defeat the object, effectively turning it into a two (rear) wheel drive?:Frown: Good luck with the project, just watch that the lack of power and a low ratio don't catch you out! :quad:

3. 1066Boy Premium Member Club Supporter

If you don't want to go down the whole "lift kit" route I am sure somebody will make spring spacers for one. What size are your standard tyres?

4. 85bobtek Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Spot Barnsley
    Hi Mark! When i get round to doing this (years and years from now) the car'll probably be at end of life anyway, so I'm expecting it to become a used and abused toy.
    Re the height issue, I could probably put some spacers on the wheels to extend the footprint?
    Good point about the wheel bearings. I wonder if there's a performance aftermarket set out there? Most large companies like to share components where possible, so on that reasoning someone must have made a 'sports' wheel bearing that would fit. Time to research. :dunce:

Ha! You know when you've been thinking about something for a long time, and then someone else points out a really obvious flaw... :Epic Fail:

Cheers, its a long way off really. All I want is a capable green-laning machine really, something to put a Freelander 1 to shame but nothing more.
    - - - Updated - - -
    I guess it would probably be cheaper to look into that than an entire new suspension set. Re the tyres, no clue yet. I'll look now...
    - - - Updated - - -
    Hold on, i'm not near the car. Net research time....
    ... Wheel-size.com say either 195/70R16 or 205/60R17. I'll have to look.

5. 1066Boy Premium Member Club Supporter

Hope you have the 16" option as the is a much bigger selection in that size. :Smile: