General Looking for an 8th Generation Tourer EX

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Heckler, Tuesday 31st Jul, 2018.

1. Heckler Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hi folks

I currently have a 7th Generation EX tourer, but will be looking to replace this in the coming months.

I've been monitoring prices recently and think I can stretch to an early 58 or 09 plate 8th Generation, but I've become accustomed to the EX level of toys and would prefer to keep them. :Smile:

So I'm looking for a detailed buyers guide that would help me find a good one, but couldn't see one pinned in this section. Does one exist, or could people give me a decent idea of tings to look out for and test?

Cheers

2. Smokingman Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom John LN5
    N/S Rear calipers on mine sized taking the disk with it, DPF needed cleaning at about 105K mile previous to that it had forced regens at Honda to no avail, stones hitting fog lights other than that no issues. However there have been recalls for Sunroof rusting, windscreen side trim coming off! Service history and oil change (correct grade) etc,

Nels and FirstHonda like this.
  3. FirstHonda Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Ed Wiltshire
    Based on my 2012 Accord, they are prone to quite bad stone chipping at the front especially on the plastic bumper. Diamond cut wheels corrode - well, water gets under the lacquer initially (mine were replaced under warranty). Sunroof rust as mentioned previously although mine didn't suffer - there's a thread somewhere.

Only other issue was that the leather seats aren't very durable - prone to bad creasing and small tears. It may not bother some people, but it sure as hell irritated me. Mine was mechanically bombproof, with regular motorway miles to keep the DPF healthy.

Nels likes this.
  4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I strongly advise staying away from a diesel, unless you really know it's got an impeccable history. (Alternatively, budget for a new DPF)
    The DPF will wear out, so those high mileage ones for sale are on borrowed time.
    The biggest problem is finding a decent Accord. Most owners seem to be holding on to them.

For my 2014 Accord saloon:

No problems here, but this is seen quite frequently.

1 small chip on the bonnet. (Pinhead size)
    None on any of Accord alloys,
    Same here.
    Some small creases appearing on the driver's seat.
    Mine's petrol and running perfectly.

Dean Vincent likes this.
  5. Smokingman Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom John LN5
    Had my DPF professionally cleaned with a life time warranty for about £600, a new OEM was £1500. No issues so far getting on for 5k miles since.

Nels likes this.
  6. FirstHonda Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Ed Wiltshire
    From memory, the wheel issue affected the first of the facelift 8th Gens. Prior to that, the (same design) wheels were painted silver, but with the facelift they went with the shiny diamond cut effect. Remember my dealer saying they'd replaced the wheels on almost every car under warranty. No issue with the second set, even when used as my Winter tyres so assume it was a quality issue with the initial batch. Worth looking out for though, especially as many owners wouldn't have bothered to look after them. There are some horrors looking at Autotrader...:zen:...likely not helped by God only knows what various hand car wash places use!

7. FUGMASTER Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England ALAN HASLEMERE
    I think with the diesels it's really important to have had a regular service history, and preferably carried out by Honda . The Rear brake caliper issues seem to be quite common too ( mine are both recently replaced, prior to purchase). Mine's an '09 Ex Tourer: Body work great apart from some really strange rust around the rubber door stops / Engine Stops, interior with the usual scuffs (for the age of the car), but nothing some leather paint and cleaner couldn't handle; Sat Nav, I had to have the innards replaced (which again, seems to occur regularly @ £250), so make sure yours doesn't state 'Disc Error', before purchasing; smelling a slight diesel odour now on Start-up (disappears when warmed-up), which might be a cracked EGR pipe (another known issue); Sun-roof, mine's showing signs of the frequently seen rust problem (under the glass roof rubber), but having owned an Opel Manta that actually had rust showing under the ROOF of the car, I think I can live with this and either repair / replace in due course. My opinion: a lot of car for the money, great looking, great to drive, you just have to be prepared to sort our a few of the periferals!

8. Heckler Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

When did the DPF come into play on the 8th Generation... was it from the start or was it from 2009 (09/59)? I was under the impression that the early 8th gens had no DPF... If I'm wrong, then it means I shall be sticking to a late model 7th Generation... and I kinda know the main issues with those... same as the PFL with the added issue of a common failing bluetooth module.

It's interesting that the leather isn't as durable on the 8th Generation as my 7th Generation with 172k on the clock still looks in fantastic condition with minimal wear on the drivers bolster and some slight creasing in a few places... But no real cracking or wear at all... It's super durable stuff... Reminds me of the seats on my old MX6 which were fantastic with that really hard/glossy hide leather... in comparison the Mondeo I used to have, was dull, soft and wore easily. I did notice that the heated seat on the drivers side only heats the bum, not the lower back whilst the passenger does both... It's never worked properly since I've had it, and I never even realised it did both until a passenger put them on and mentioned a lovely warm lumbar region... That's something the Mondeo did well as it had heated and cooled seats. Possibly one of the reasons the leather wasn't as durable as the seats were perforated for cooling.

My current budget is now at 3k (without trade in) and by the end of August, it should be around 3500. More than enough to get a reasonable 7th Generation... and still got months to save further. I was able to throw some extra money aside from my birthday prezzies yesterday... Although part of me wants to use that money towards a new gaming computer too. :Smile:

My two main contenders are another Accord or an Alfa 159 Sportwagon with the 2.4 diesel engine. I can get a 58 plate for between 3-4k pre DPF... but still need to research.

But other people keep throwing other cars into the mix... some could work and others wouldn't... So the possibility of an SUV type is not entirely out of the window If I can find a decent Volvo XC60 or 70, a CR-V is out of my budget but the Rav4 could be a contender now.

And speaking of the Mondeo... I saw a lovely burgundy Titanium X estate yesterday at the supermarket that looked really nice, the satnav, leather, centre colour screen in the binacle... I really liked it, but my last one (53 plate) was a bit of a lemon in my book and always needed a couple hundred spending at MOT time and more than average maintenance than I'm used to. So I went back to look at the Mazda 6 and the Mondeo once more... and whilst I can find plenty of Mondeo's... finding a diesel Mazda 6 with all the toys is like rocking horse poop laced with hens teeth.

If I was basing my purchase entirely on which one I like the look of best... Alfa 159 Sportwagon in black with red leather wold win me over every time. With a 7th Generation tourer EX in black with nice tints.

Thanks for all the info... whilst it won't be for a few months... the 8th Generation may still be a strong contender based on how my budget goes in the next few months. I do like the wider more aggressive stance of the 8th, but I prefer the flatter back and roof curve of the 7th.... It's all down to that DPF because I'd rather not have that potential minefield to deal with as really expensive repairs could be an issue.. Normal wear and tear, and minor things are fine... but the potential for a £1500 bill on a 3-4k car... Not something I want to risk.... not to mention that most of my driving is local town and minor A routes, and I average just 41-44mpg in my 7th Generation

9. FUGMASTER Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England ALAN HASLEMERE
    Sounds like you ought to stay clear of anything with a DPF then, Heckler?? I'm making sure I get mine on the motorway at least every two weeks or so (not difficult, as we're close to a few!), and give her a good run inorder to keep things as they should be. Mind you, as I found with mine (115k when bought), the DPF had been changed at 96k , so many cars you may look at would have already had this replaced, with luck? All the best anyway; good you've got a plan!

10. Smokingman Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom John LN5
    All 8th Generation diesel Accords have a DPF. Had mine professionally cleaned at just over 100k miles even though it was used on motorway most weeks, oil changed every 6K miles, shell fuel but still ended up with the dreaded DPF issue. But it's now got a life time warrantie!!!! just pay for removal and fitting (approx £70) according to garage which did the work.

11. Heckler Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

What did they do exactly, and what was the cost? Is it something they can redo easily if required?

12. Smokingman Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom John LN5
    Hi @Heckler.
    The DPF was removed and sent away to a company ( I believe part of Euro Car Parts) in Scotland cleaned and returned and refitted in less than week. Cost £600, can redo as removal is about 30-45 mins as is refitting. Since then traveled about 3 K miles and one MOT without any issues.

13. Heckler Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Actually going to look at a 57 plate tourer ex at the end of the week... miles are high @ 140k but that's less than my current one had when I bought that 3yrs ago... and the price is very similar to what I paid for mine then too. I can afford to buy that one outright and then sell mine on afterwards. Insurance should be about the same, and I know pretty much what to look out for on these now... and I'll have plenty left in the budget for those minor things that need doing when you buy a car.

Car is a single owner with history... which is what this one was.

14. Bounder Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Huan County Cork
    From my research DPF's are really a serviceable part somewhat akin to brake discs etc, they are cleanable and with semi automated machines available now the cost isn't a killer any longer.
    I found a company locally that has exchange units here @€229+vat, you drop your old one off and pick up a clean refurbed unit and install or have it installed.
    The I-DTEC N22 has it mounted on the front for a nice easy change, assuming the bolts are all nicely greased with copper grease it shouldn't be a big job to change one.
    Its seems that a company called Quantum in the UK has a lot of dealers doing this as well.
    https://www.dpfcentre.com/find-a-dealer/

Heckler, Nels and Smokingman like this.
  15. Heckler Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That's good to know... I'm calling a halt to my search for a while as I've been getting frustrated at the lack of anything suitable... Everything I wanted to look at is either priced ridiculously higher than current market values, is in a shockingly poor condition that the seller has tried to hide... some have some suspicious MOT history or refuse to even give you the reg (when they mask it in ads) to stop you doing your own basic checks and expect you to travel 100-200 miles (round trip) to see the car 'in person' ... and of course those few that tick all the right boxes are hundreds of miles away which would incur a 400+ round trip.

So I'll stop looking, continue to save and resume when my budget is better and hopefully more/better cars are out there.

16. Smokingman Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom John LN5
    @Heckler.
    Best of luck with your search. When I got mine bearing in mind I live in Lincoln, there was a choice of two one in Leeds and one in London. The one in London would be ideal all the toys then some (ACC, Lane assist etc) and cream leather but they would not take a holding deposit so did not bother. The one I got from Leeds had full Honda History which was not even mentioned in the ad.

Heckler and FirstHonda like this.
  17. Heckler Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'll keep my eyes peeled... who knows, maybe an 8th Generation will fall into my budget with all the toys and history. My current one still has 12 months MOT on it... and it may only 'potentially' need all the work doing from the advisories... But when I factor in the cost of a garage doing the work, repairing the aircon and all those other little niggles like scratches and stone chips... it's over a grand's worth of work.... and the car is only worth a grand now. Which is basically what I'll get trade in. Private sale might be a little less.

But looks like more house repairs are needed... all the guttering at the front of the house is overflowing right now... any time we get a heavy downpour it can't cope because the downpipe is on the house next door... Looks like I need to get one fitted on mine that just drains into the garden,... which means digging a soak away.