Suspension, Steering and Brakes Looking for steering knuckle

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by hsyasin, Thursday 14th Jun, 2018.

1. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Hey all,
    I've looked around in the parts sections but couldn't find a recent breaking accord.
    So does anyone know of anyone who's breaking their accord for spares or any good place in around Ipswich area?
    I'm looking for passenger side steering knuckle

2. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

well in talk with a couple accord breakers, so very soon will have a new steering knuckle/wheel hub.. and passenger side brake caliper and its banjo bolt(well this is just being changed anyways, not sure if need changing)
    reason for changing brake caliper and banjo bolt is, when that side got hit and lower control arm broke, the wheel dragged on the road for a few yard with back side of caliper on the road resulting in banjo blot becoming loose and the hex head slightly deshaped.. but the brakes have been working absolutely fine for months until a few weeks back and what it's started to do is when I apply brakes, I get very slight judder, which by the way wife says its not there, so I'm the only one noticing that.. but have tested brakes with slow and abrupt stops, they work just fine.. so... any ideas.:Unknown:
    also, another question, as I'll be removing the front wheel hub for the very first time, I mean have done upper and lower arms plus track control arms before.. so that's not a biggie.. however, haven't done, or undone I should say, that axle spindle nut before, so that's going to be a new thing.. I know how you undo them, and have got a breaker bar as well, they only thing I haven't got is the socket to open the spindle nut:Sobbing:
    does anyone know what size the spindle nut is, is it 32mm or 36mm?

Harvey likes this.
  3. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sounds like you have had your hands full find the part you where looking for. unfortunately I can't help you on what size socket it is, I would hazard a guess at 32mm. Even Lings website isn't terribly helpful as this is the part number for the nut,
    upload_2018-6-21_22-26-49.

andy83 likes this.
  4. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

cheers for your reply, yeah not very helpful
    a few other site, I've found generally 36mm, very few saying 32mm but they're mostly American and now really showing what year accord they're talking about...
    anyways I've found this
    upload_2018-6-21_22-39-59.
    - - - Updated - - -
    come chaps, someone must've done this by now, taking off the spindle nut...:Search:

Harvey likes this.
  5. Smokingman Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom John LN5
    Hi.
    Sorry for the late reply, Having need to replace the CV boot on my 4th Generation Accord and partners Rover 600 (AKA 5th Generation Accord) the nut can be a right pain, even broke a 90cm breaker bar. In the end got a garage to use there air gun and even that struggled. Once removed it was all plain sailing drive shaft just slid out of the hub.

Harvey likes this.
  6. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

ah right... don't think the axle spindle bolt would be the same size as 7th, would it?
    what size was it anyways?

7. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

confirmed from the ebay seller, the one I bought knuckle from... it indeed is 36mm

Harvey likes this.
  8. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

pro tip, Take wheel off, remove centre cap, put wheel back on, lower car to ground. then undo the nut, if wheel rotates, get someone to stand on the brake pedal. Us a rubber mallet or block of wood on the end of the driveshaft, so you don't damage the threads,

hsyasin likes this.
  9. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

thanks for the tips... sure will do

Harvey likes this.
  10. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

the dreaded problem now, tried block of wood, but the shaft won't budge.. rubber mallet wise, which one should I buy, there's a 16Oz and 32Oz?

11. Smokingman Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom John LN5
    I found that that when this happened on a previous car the garage just loosened the hub nut about half a turn then used an impact gun until loose, then carry on repeating.

12. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

13. Smokingman Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom John LN5
    If the car is still able to be driven, maybe you could get a garage to just to loosen the drive shaft to enable you to do the rest, as I doubt the hub puller will work, I could be wrong.

Harvey likes this.
  14. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I also doubt a hub puller will work for what your trying to do. I have seen driveshafts get pretty stuck before now and need an air chisel to get them out. I would still try a block of wood and a bigger hammer though,

hsyasin and andy83 like this.
  15. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

well all done with the driveshaft removal... cheers all for the tips.. what I did was a sledge hammer with wood block and it eventually came out... so all fine and dandy.
    put everything back together and drove, everything looked fine.. however just noticed when I lifted the car again, that that same wheel had very slight play in it..
    upon further investigation I found out that when I tightened the axle nut, it cross threaded the entire bolt while tightening and now not able to tighten it anymore as the b** thing is slipping/spinning:depressed:

troubles with the car ain't stopping for me for some reason :Sobbing:

any suggestions anyone please, quite desperate to get her back on the road again?

16. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Oh no! If you cross threaded the hub nut, you now need a new driveshaft ! Or at least a new CV joint

Last edited: Sunday 29th Jul, 2018
  17. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

:no:

18. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I assume your 100% sure its cross threaded?

19. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

yup,
    coz the nut isn't tightening anymore
    just spinning sort of

20. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

well aint that wonderful... I can't even open that b** spindle nut either :Rant:
    so pissed at her and myself right now..