General Might be time to sell

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Heckler, Wednesday 18th Jul, 2018.

1. Heckler Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

My accord tourer EX has just passed it's MOT with only the front drop links required (last year it was the rear drop links).

But there were a load of advisories... if that's the right term under these new rules that downplay some things and exaggerate others... Doesn't mean that they'll 'be' required and as I don't do more than 5-6k a year on average... possibly won't. but I have to assume they 'could' be a factor.

So there were plenty of mentions of dust covers on bushes on the front lower and upper control arms, very minor play in a couple... not enough to fail. But that's gonna mean 2 lower control arms (it's cheaper to replace the whole thing that remove, take out bushes and refit... labour costs too much on the latter when compared to the job of swapping a complete one). A quick check on prices gives me around the £130 for a pair, plus a similar amount for the labour (not something I can do with my disability). Add in another £70-100 for the upper bushes, they're not expensive and won't require the whole arm replacing, just the one bush.

Then there's some minor wear and tear items, which I'm not counting as they're things to be expected.

I then got them to do a regass of the aircon as it wasn't blowing cold.. and that failed the leak test. They partially filled it with gas/dye and ran it for a while... got it up on the ramp and checked all visible parts of the system with the UV lamp and the sniffer... and couldn't find any sign of a leak... Which normally means it's in a part of the system that can't be seen without stripping stuff out... an expense I don't deem to be worthwhile.

For a car that is classed as Cat C after the twonk in a BMW drove into me... and they wrote it off, but we repaired it because the damage was so minor it was pointless not too... I don't think I can expect more than £1000 for it now. and the prospect of a £400+ MOT bill next year makes me think it's not worth keeping any longer... especially as it's got 171k on the clock now.

Now the car starts and drives superb, being the EX it's got all of the toys and everything works brilliantly, the leather is in superb condition, the nav works (although map disc is out of date). I refurbished all 4 wheels (powder coated) and had new tyres, there's also a 5th rim with tyre too and by the time it goes it will have had new brake pads all round (did them 3yrs ago and 15k miles.. so must be due) and a service. It's wanted for nothing really, I've had help from a couple of former members who went above and beyond to advise and help fix problems and I've been happy to spend money to fix issues whenever required.

So I'm thinking of getting another one... but newer obviously... lower mileage.. prefer a 8th Generation if possible but would settle for one of the last 7th Generation's from 2008... I think I'll be a little more choosy on colour this time too, so either a plain silver, or a dark grey/black... no green, red, white or blue (my last 2 cars have been blue and I'm sick of them nowadays) and no way I'd touch a gold/bronze type of colour as both cars I owned or almost bought in those colours were lemons.. so to me those kinds of colours are cursed.. Not entirely logical I know...

Budget will depend on what I can get for mine obviously and if I can part ex it.... So let's assume I can and I get a grand for it... and that I'll need a grand in reserve for insurance and essential repairs and maintenance.... I think I can scrape together £3000. It would have been a lot more... But unfortunately I had to replace the entire roof on my house last month which blew nearly all of my savings of £6k.

It doesn't have to be an Accord... but given how well this one has served me the last 3yrs... I'm definitely leaning towards a Honda again, and will only be looking at Jap cars in general... unless a decent Volvo XC70 comes into my price range (they're nice to drive and my Uncle won't have anything else for the last 13yrs)... Space is a big factor, whilst I don't absolutely need the boot space of a tourer, I would struggle with the higher boot lip on the saloon (I'm officially classed as disabled nowadays with the badge to go with it)... I also use my car a lot to take elderly people out in, so getting in and out with ease is essential, as is a reasonable amount of legroom in the rear.

For that reason I have discounted the Civic purely on practicality... and not because I find the last few gens... well... hideous to look at. Not knocking them as cars, just I personally find them ugly... Like some one only got around to watching the original Fast & Furious movie 15yrs later and thought.. ohhh... lets do that. :Smile: (I'm gonna cop some crap for that I know... it's just an opinion, unbunch those panties).

I've discounted the FR-V for the same reason... I don't like the look... although the 2015 newer models... are nice... but are out of my price range for a few more years yet.

The CR-V is a contender... if I can find the facelift 2008 onwards model...

Then we come to the endless Petrol Vs Diesel debate... Now I don't do a huge amount of driving... 5-6k a year on average... a max of 7k at most. So to many people a diesel is pointless. But most of my journey's are shorter ones with a few longer ones every 10-15 days. So at the moment I am averaging 41mpg in the 2.2CDTi... I know that those same journeys in say the 2lt petrol would not be close enough to make the savings per litre work, and I like the torque of the 2.2... so I'd probably be looking for the 2.4 petrol to be honest if I had to go petrol... and then I realised road tax would be £540 a year... so fudge that.

If it's a diesel... then I think pre DPF should be a factor, especially with the tightening of diesel regs for MOTs... my next car after that will then have to be petrol... maybe even a hybrid.

I have enjoyed this Accord... I'd owned Jap cars for the previous 10yrs before getting a Mondeo diesel... which whilst comfy and nice to drive... was a money pit and a borderline Lemon... So I switched back to jap cars again and haven't regretted it... this car has survived when others have failed (like the BMW that hit it and caused a minor dent in the wing and some dings to the door... whilst it was a write of entirely with broken and bent suspension, wings and bumpers hanging off, airbags deployed and buckled wheels)... I'd DEF get another if I can.

Last edited: Thursday 19th Jul, 2018
    FirstHonda likes this.
  2. Sandy52 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Sandy NORWICH
    By your admission the car is a good one, but now getting old. I think a £400 or 500 bill for a one off repair,,is better than spending ~£3000 on another oldish car that may have hidden major costs. Better the devil you know!

HondaHeritage likes this.
  3. RobsyUK Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Rob Milton Keynes
    Buy another, swap the good bits over and sell it on cheap

4. Heckler Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yeah... I do see your point... but I really, really want working aircon again, I've realised how much I've missed these last 2 summers. I put it off last year after the run in with the BMW... and realistically that could cost another £400 on top of the expected MOT bill for next year... That's at least 80% of the cars worth... and that doesn't include sorting out the front bumper which has a small crack in the corner of the headlight where some one gave it a nudge not long after I got it. I don't mind spending the money, but I do mind throwing money at a car that's not worth that kind of expense... because suspension, aircon and bumper are gonna push the bill to around £1100.

If I throw all that money at it... I have to keep it for a further 2-3yrs or it's a waste of time/money... and with 171k on the clock... anything could go wrong at any time now. I'm far better of replacing with a car with around 100-130k on the clock that's a 2008 or 2009. Obviously I'd prefer the 8th Generation... but would happily settle for a 7th as I do love the shape of the tourer more than I do the saloon.

Considering the car cost me £1650 (I then got £600 trade in for my old Mondeo), I drove it for 2 years with only minor work required... and then it was written of and insurance paid out £1700, less £480 for excess and buyback and I spent around £800 in total repairing the car and doing a few cosmetic touches (like powder coating the wheels)... What was left over has covered quite a bit of the general maintenance and repairs of the previous two years, and in the 12 months since... I've not had anything major to pay out (it is due a service and brake pads though).

It's possibly the first car I've ever owned that has turned out (through poor luck it must be said) to have had a fairly neutral effect on my bank balance (insurance/tax/fuel/wear & tear not included of course).

But from this point forward... it's going to start costing money. When I was running the MX6 owners club and into modifying them a lot more than i am now... sure I was throwing money down the drain. At that point a lot of the time between 2005 and 20012 I owned at least 2 cars occasionally 3. I spent more than £4000 on a car doing it up, that I had to end up scrapping and only recovered about £900-1000 from parting it out after 4yrs... I continued to own an MX6 for the next 4yrs, only getting rid of them when my dad became to ill to be able to get in and out of a 2 door sport coupe. It's why I bought the Mondeo and then the Accord. Even though he died 2 years ago this weekend... I still want a larger car with plenty of space because my mum isn't getting any younger and I do a lot of running around with/for her, and I take her away on holidays and/or days out. I'd love another coupe, I'd especially love a late 90's early 2000s Jap one with a decent amount of power... But it's not practical and I can't afford to own 2 cars anymore. Back then I had twice the income that I did upto the end of 2017... and now it's more comparable to my income from 13yrs ago when I was earning really good money (for the time, as I didn't have a huge amount of expense and no mortgage, just me and the GF in a cheap 1 bed flat with living expenses taking just 1/4 or 1/3 of each of our salaries and the rest was spent on toys, gadgets, cars, computers and just having fun)

So long as I try to find a 1 or 2 owner car with complete service history, I'm not that bothered by highish mileage because these cars are well built and more reliable than most. I won't be rushing out, I've only got £2000 at the moment and need to save some more I think I need 4k in the bank before buying anything (3k if I part ex). I've been scouring ebay and autotrader this week to get a feel for prices... and I actually found another accord from the seller I bought this one from that's right up my street... But it's too soon... I'm looking anything up to Xmas/Jan time before making a purchase... Maybe people will be more eager to make a deal in my favour at that time of year. :Smile:

Besides.... I really feel it's time for a new car... well new to me. I've practised what I term 'bangornomics' for most of the last 17yrs. I buy a luxury car with slightly higher miles than average and keep them on average for 3-4yrs. It works out much cheaper than taking out a loan or finance to get a newer car... most likely with less toys and probably no heated leather seats (I do love those) every 4-5yrs. My sister for example has had 5 new cars in that time... and most of them pretty basic spec levels... She's spent 4 or 5 times as much as I do just on finance payments than I have on purchasing, insurance, car tax and repairs/maintenance... When it comes to getting the best value for money, I really do my homework and it's how I've managed to have luxury cars on a budget that most people would think not possible... of course I have sacrificed in other areas... My house is taking much longer to do up than planned... after 9yrs I thought I'd be finished... I'm not even half way through it... But due to poor health it made earning money harder and budgets tighter and tighter each year... In the end, money becomes the deciding factor. Take a chance on a newer car with fewer miles and a full service history (as I did with this one) or go ahead knowing the next 12 months will cost me around 1k in bills not inc wear and tear and general maintenance.. and who knows what else in the following 2-3yrs.

Did I also mention... I really, really, really... want a new car with ICE cold aircon. :Smile:

and as @RobsyUK said... I could always buy one that needs a little TLC and swap over some parts... So if I get one with tatty leather, I've got some near mint seats and door cards in mine. I've got a few spare parts laying around for a drivers door (glass, window switches and regulator and another spare door card)

But I cannot stress how much I really want a new one with ICE cold aircon :Smile:

Last edited: Thursday 19th Jul, 2018
    FirstHonda likes this.
  5. Sandy52 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Sandy NORWICH
    Good luck, whatever you choose.

6. Bounder Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Huan County Cork
    I really miss my 7th Generation Tourer, I only had it for 2.5 years and it was written off a month ago when I was rear ended.
    Looking at the way insurance is over here over 10yr old cars become hard to insure, so while I prefer the simplicity of the 7th Generation with no DPF and the narrow track which makes narrow roads easier to pass on, I think I am going to have to go for a later 8th Generation probably face lift onwards.
    I don't want a sunroof if possible as looking at the problems they are prone to have I really think its not worth the hassle.
    The basic spec of the 8th Generation is pretty good, and I am prepared to go with half leather.
    Maybe a ES GT would be fine for my needs but after driving an EX its hard to step back.

7. FirstHonda Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Ed Wiltshire
    @Heckler

I totally see where you are coming from. There comes a point with any car where you decide to move on. If you don't, you know something big will break and you'll regret it. If you swap for a newer model - with working aircon - at least if something needs doing you can appease your mind with the fact that it's newer, with fewer miles etc. A better long-term bet if you will.

For a budget of £3k I think you'll struggle to get a decent 8th Generation, but there are some nice late 7th Gens around. I'd prefer a better kept and lower mileage 7th personally. As you'll know, there are some other (almost forgotten) family/luxury saloons to consider where you'll get good value and reliability.

A Lexus GS for instance, the SAAB 9-5, Subaru Legacy..dare I say it, even the KIA Magentis! Best of the lot is probably the Suzuki Kizashi, but slightly out of your price range.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...rly New&onesearchad=New&sort=year-desc&page=1

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...&advertising-location=at_cars&make=KIA&page=1

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...code=nw16jl&sort=year-desc&make=SUBARU&page=1

8. Heckler Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

There does indeed come a time when you have to decide if it's worth the risk of keeping it... economic have to take precedence at times regardless of how much you like the car.

My current budget as of this month is £2700 + whatever trade in I can get for mine... but that will increase each month as I can save a further £200-300 on average each month... If I decide to take out a small loan, then I can increase it further... But I'd rather not have a loan lasting longer than 12-18 months, so I'd want to limit it to £1-2k.

I'll need to keep around £1k in reserve to cover any extra insurance, car tax and minor repairs that a car may need.

At the moment, I'm just monitoring ebay and autotrader to gauge prices, mileage and condition... ECT.

Current cars on the list are.
    Honda Accord Tourer EX, Diesel and all the toys.. Either a very late 7th Generation or early 8th Generation
    Subaru Legacy Tourer with the boxer diesel and all the toys
    Alfa Romeo 159 Tourer 2.4JTDM diesel with all the toys (hard to find in a tourer)

I'm expanding my searches to include brands that I have overlooked in the past... but I can say it won't be German or French as I find most French cars to be hideously ugly and overly expensive to maintain (and they need a lot of maintaining in my experience).. and I refuse to pay the idiot badge tax for anything from BMW/Merc/VW/Audi and various other marques they own... Although I do kinda like the Skoda Superb estate... it's got a :thumbdown: load of legroom inside.

I was looking at a Kia... but I like the Sportarge over any of the others and it's not in my price range yet... So because I'm looking at cars that are around 8-10yrs old... some of the brands like Kia & Hyundai were kinda ugly back then.

I do like the Saab... but because the company is no longer around, I'm reluctant to risk buying one now.

I didn't think I'd be able to pick up a Lexus that's the right age/features/condition for my budget... they seem to hold their value much more... and I'd be looking at a 12yr old one at least.

Not even considered anything by Suzuki... I have no experience of them nor does anyone I know... But I'll take a look.

@FirstHonda I've just been on autotrader and had a look at the Kia Magentis... is it my eyes playing tricks... or does it look remarkably like the old Lexus IS200. Did they buy the patterns for it? I know that's quite a common thing for some makers... I remember an old Daewoo that looked like the old 80's Astra but with bumpers that extended an extra 18" both front and rear... Looked hideous.

Last edited: Monday 30th Jul, 2018
  9. Bounder Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Huan County Cork
    I'd tread carefully with the Subaru Legacy Diesel, a lot of them here broke crankshafts at low mileages and with full Subaru service history, not sure which years were affected but I think it was earlier models 09/10.
    They are a lovely car but just tread carefully.

10. Heckler Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Cheers for that... I would be doing my usual over the top research before buying anything... That normally involves joining owner forums and reading all the good/bad reviews I can lay my hands on. It's one of the reasons I'm wary of a Lexus with the 2.2 diesel... it's the same engine that was in the Toyota Avensis T180 that had some issues.

11. Bounder Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Huan County Cork
    I looked at a lot of vehicles before I bought my Tourer, I really wanted a punchy diesel that was over 2.0 litres as I occasionally tow a trailer, the T180 was on my list but after research showed that the EGR was very troublesome and headgasket failures on the 2.2 I didn't feel confident in that engine.
    I had no trouble with my Tourer in my 2.5 years of ownership and I have decided to go the same way again.
    Most EU5 Diesels have some issues but the Honda N22B seems to be well sorted apart from the DPF and EGR pipe cracking, neither of which are particularly bad to deal with, in saying that I saw a Focus last week that had cracked a Turbo shaft from excessive back pressure due to a blocked DPF so nothing is a given.

12. Heckler Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well my next car will be pre-DPF and after that I'll be going back to petrol or hopefully perhaps a hybrid petrol/electric.

Been spending most of the evening browsing autotrader and getting a feel for prices... By the end of the year I'm expecting that my budget will be £4k + trade in... so that's £3k + trade in + enough to cover extras that will need doing after purchase.

I could get a 57 or 08 CR-V EX with 110-130k on the clock.
    I could get a 7th Generation 08 Accord EX tourer with similar mileage, or a 58-09 8th Generation with 140-150k on the clock
    I could just about get a 57-08 Alfa 159 Sportwagon 2.4 JTDM if I don't mind 130k+ on the clock and don't care about the colour or interior trim level.. or go for a saloon as the wagons are harder to find... and I do care about colour and trim levels... and I prefer the wagon.
    I could pick up a 08-09 Kia Megentis for around 2k with 100k on the lock... but won't. :Smile:

Left field cars... a Honda insight is coming into my budget range... but high miles and no idea on battery condition or how to check them... So assume that would need replacing on a car with 130k on the clock.
    Nissan X-Trail... an 07-08 with 100k on the clock is coming into my budget range... But no idea on what to look for or expect from one... Qashqai's with the same level of trim and engines appear to be holding value better.

13. FirstHonda Moderator Staff Team

Heckler likes this.
  14. Heckler Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've never looked a Ssanyong before... and now I know why... they're not very pretty cars at all. As for the Fiat... it's not exactly ugly... just very, very bland.

Whatever car I get.. I have to like looking at it as much as driving it. I can't get something that's great to drive and reliable... but I loathe the look off... I know.. I'm weird like that. But a car has to be pretty (to me at least) to look at. I've also grown accustomed to my leather interiors and heated seats and all those other things that come as standard, so that's another deciding factor... I'd be prepared to compromise on some things but not others. So colour could vary if the car is right, but must have the heated leather seats and so forth. Satnav could not be a factor, but the colour must be right and have the leather and so forth.

I'm in no rush... found more than a few 8th Generation EX Tourers around the £3800-4500 range for 58-09 plates with anything between 90-130k on the clock... I'd even consider the Sport and half leather, but they don't appear to come with heated seats or even electric seats... So I'm back to an EX again.

I found a nice black, chipped EX tourer for £4500 and 129k on the clock that could be ideal... But my budget won't stretch that far until the end of the year at least.

Cheers for the suggestions, don't be afraid to throw anything in there even if I dismiss it as ugly... so many things I've never even considered, and what some people find ugly, I may find nice to look at and vice versa... I mean I hate the look of the Civics for the last 10yrs... But they're still a great seller, and it's not because they're ultra cheap or anything.

15. Heckler Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I must admit, I've always had a bit of a desire for a Jag... But the fact that it's mostly a Mondeo underneath has put me off (I had a Mondeo and it was a borderline lemon)... Yet... that desire for one is still kinda there.

16. FirstHonda Moderator Staff Team

Not sure about how you’ll feel looks wise, but the Chrysler 300C estate certainly has presence...

17. Dean Vincent Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Dino London
    That's what I think as well. No point changing the whole car and wiping yourself out financially just because it might need new compliance bushes soon. If it bothers you just get the work done and keep saving for when it does need changing.

18. Heckler Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I did a search for them on autotrader, and they only appear to come in auto... the options to select the type of gearbox is greyed out entirely and every single one listed is an auto.

Looks wise... not the prettiest thing, but not ugly either... Kinda muscle car looking from some angles and with a 3lt diesel and 200bhp.. But auto boxes on american cars are notoriously unreliable and if one goes... it's the death of almost any car in my budget. So auto only immediately rules it out.

I also checked out the MPGS and they're not great and tax is over the £300 mark.

But again, thanks for throwing something unusual in the mix.

19. Heckler Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've just found out that the old Cat c/D has been replaced with a cat S/N rating.

I did some checking and the old cat c/d didn't realistically state the nature of the damage that caused it to be a write off. The new S/N rating stands for Structural or Non-Structural damage.

So my car is actually Cat N as it was just a wing/door that was damaged and easily swapped over.

It also means that I could possibly consider a cat N car if the seller can show me what the damage was.

20. Bounder Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Huan County Cork
    I just put a deposit on a Type-S in Black. its as much as I can realistically go to and not my ideal colour but hey you can't win them all.