Suspension, Steering and Brakes MOT Fail

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by AndyB1976, Tuesday 14th Jan, 2014.

1. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    Hello guys

First MOT fail for my 6th Generation and it looks like its going to be a painful one.

Front to Rear brake pipes both sides excessively corroded £550, seems excessively priced - what do you think?

Also advise to replace fuel lines at same time.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    AndyB1976 likes this.
  3. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cheers for that info, CJ.

I have some doubts that I could fabricate something like that, as I need to work in the street not in the safety of a driveway etc. I might get the tools and piping for the fronts - they are ok just now but seem less hassle to replace and could at least give them a go later in the year. I hate paying out labour charges, when I could be buying the tools with it.

That price is from Honda, might ask around the local garages.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    mate its easy get the pipe off the car get inside where its warm and make a replica of the one you pulled off with the new pipes .. then stick em back on ..simples it isnt that hard .. its like playing with bendy drinking straws really

5. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I'm very tempted to give it a bash lol....reading up on some howto etc

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    one you get the knack of bending pipe evenly you will knock that whole thing out in 1 hour tops. practice on some scrap pipes and you are ready to go

7. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

as CJ says have a go, it really is quite easy after a first try. I would suggest if you do try it then use a small plumbers pipe cutter it is only a couple of pounds and gives a much better cut and no end cleaning needed :GoodJob:

AndyB1976 likes this.
  8. Chunkylover53 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

By all means get it fixed but maybe you should get the car tested at a govt owned MOT testing place - they have no incentive to fail you as they do not perform repairs :Wink:

9. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Yeah I'm a bit annoyed there weren't any previous advisories on the pipes, then straight to excessive corrosion fail.

- - - Updated - - -

So pipe bender, cutter and flaring tool - is that what is needed toolwise? What about couplings or any other parts?

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    You shouldn't need any couplings, you'll be replicating the pipes you are taking off and using the flare nuts from those, flaring the pipe, bending to shape and putting on the car.

AndyB1976 likes this.
  11. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Gave Honda a call as the invoice was a bit unclear, the £550 includes the three fuel lines too so a bit less painful than I first thought. I will likely proceed with the work from them which comprises copper brake piping from front to rear and the three pre-fab'd fuel lines.

Future work I will do myself, I am ordering some tools and piping to practice on so any advise on tools would be most appreciated. I am looking at these

Pipe Bender (looks identical to one recommended by CJ)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0012MB3F6/

Pipe Cutter (this one seem ok Candobill ?)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0001K9O9W/

Pipe Flare Tool
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008YFX2LM/

12. Doc Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    In terms of a pipe cutter this may be more suitable for smaller piping. The one you linked to was more designed for heating piping.
    New Rolson Pipe Cutter 3mm -22mm (1/8in -7/8in) Mini Copper Vinyl Brass Tube | eBay

Also for the pipe flaring tool this would be a better bet. Not all pipes are the same diameter so a universal too would guarantee fitting better where as you one you linked to would likely only fit one diameter of pipe.
    371215 Imperial Copper AC Brake Pipe Double Flaring Tool Kit Tube Cutter | eBay
    But this does have the same cutting tool as you linked to.

Better still how about this.
    BRAKE / FUEL PIPE REPAIR TOOL SET METRIC FLARING KIT MINI BENDER + TUBE CUTTER | eBay

AndyB1976 likes this.
  13. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cheers for that Matt, a decent selection there.

I was in Halfords earlier and they had a similar flaring set - the quality was abysmal, the wingnuts on the tool were so badly pitted I'm surprised it was even on the shelf. I'm not saying its a bad tool just commenting on the quality of that specific set - it looked like it had been driven over by a tank lol.

14. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

make sure you put the couplers on before you flare both ends :Wink:

15. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Nice tip lol....

Anyone know why you would have either a single flare or double flare? When or why did the single flair become a bit suspect? lol

16. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

where did you get double flare from ?:Search:

17. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

18. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Ichiban and AndyB1976 like this.
  19. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Champion mate :Hooray:

20. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Just to take the thread a bit off topic, does anyone know what the hydraulic power steering cooling pipe (item 22) is made from?

Its a 10mm outer diameter, the pipe bender can accommodate 10mm at its maximum so just thinking I could probably rig one up if needed or any of the other associated pipes.

B__3361.