MOT FAILED - Emissions Test

Discussion in 'Honda K-Series' started by EG6, Tuesday 24th Jul, 2018.

1. EG6 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

-
    Honda Civic EP3 JDM

MOT FAILED, Emissions Test.
    CO failed at 2.5k RPM.

Tried Redex and done a 10 miles drive before test still failed.

Maybe because I changed the O2 sensor (primary NARROWBAND) this could be causing the emission problem? However it passed last year with no problem using OEM O2 sensor (primary WIDEBAND)

Any help would be appreciated

Thank you

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

2. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I assume the car is used daily and all. and I know you mentioned that you have used redex and driven 10 miles before test. Was the O2 sensor a genuine one or cheap aftermarket?

Perhaps you need to give the car an Italian tune up and really give it some, say 60 in third to heat the cat up and get the engine nice and hot.

also when was the last time the oil was changed, as I have heard that sometimes a service will help when you have emissions problems.

EG6 and andy83 like this.
  3. EG6 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

-
    It was a cheap NTK sensor for £60, wish I never wasted my money on it. The car drives fine but stutter at low revs hence emissions problem?

I ordered an OEM O2 sensor for £200, its for a DC5 and also works for the EP3 JDM.

If that still fails then I will try Redex again but this time using a full bottle. Thrash it a bit harder on all gears and getting it real hot, hopefully this will do the trick.

Oil changed this month using 5w30 Castrol Edge which works wonders!

Thanks for your input!

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Harvey likes this.
  4. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I was going to suggest scan for any fault codes or even use a scanner to check what the o2 sensors are actually doing.

andy83 likes this.
  5. k20a3 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Any news on this matter EG6?

Harvey likes this.