Tools My DIY tools for basic maintenances

Discussion in 'Tools & Equipment' started by JazzGD1, Wednesday 28th Mar, 2018.

1. JazzGD1 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Singapore JazzGD1 Singapore
    I just bought a 10 years old honda Jazz GD1 2008 last month Feb 2018.

I am learning how to DIY following basic maintenances:

1. Change engine oil.

2. Change CVT transmission oil.

3. Change coolant.

4. Change spark plugs.

After searching/watching/reading a lot of from google/youtube/forum, I bought following tools to help me DIY basic maintenances:

1. Hydraulic Floor Jack - 2 ton ($36) to jack up the car.
    HYDRAULIC FLOOR JACK-2TON.

2. RhinoGear 1199099 ABMI Ramps ($40) to ramp up the car.
    RhinoGear_11909ABMI_RhinoRamps.

3. Fumoto F106N M14-1.5 valve ($27) to replace engine oil drain plug.

Fumoto_F106N_M14-1.5.

4. Fumoto F104N M18-1.5 valve ($27) to replace CVT transmission oil drain plug.

Fumoto_F104N_M18-1.5.

5. Lisle 24680 Spill-Free Funnel ($20) to change coolant and eliminate trapped air pockets in coolant system.
    Lisle_24680_Spill_Free_Funnel.

6. Magnetic Spark Plug Socket ($5) to change spark plugs.

Spark_Plug_Socket.

3. Fumoto F106N M14-1.5 valve to replace engine oil drain plug ($27)

2. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    hello mate I would also add axel stands to your list never be under a car on just a jack ...

Hondalad likes this.
  3. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Yes, NEVER get under a car that is supported only with a jack.
    However, those ramps may give you enough clearance/access and support the car safely.

I recommend buying the best tools you can afford. Some of the cheaper ones often don't last.
    You may also find this link useful.

4. Bounder Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Huan County Cork
    Those Fumoto valves will make servicing your car a very easy job, I had one on my last car and it made oil changes a very simple clean and fast job.

5. JazzGD1 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thank you for your advice, I will add the axel stands into my tools list. I am newbie and never do DIY car maintenance before so I will buy a lot of tools to make DIY easier for me.

7. stands ($20)

stands.

Before get under the car, I did following:

1. I use the Hydraulic Floor Jack to jack up 1 wheel, then I put 1 Rhino Ramp under that wheel.

2. Jack up the other wheel and put another Rhino Ramp under that wheel.

3. Use the Hydraulic Floor Jack to support the car at the middle of the car (in between 2 wheels).

Only after the car is supported by 2 Ramps and 1 Hydraulic Floor Jack then I will be under the car.

6. JazzGD1 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

For changing tire, tire puncture and rotate tires maintenance, I bought following tools and always keep them in my car.

1. Portable Car Impact Wrench 12V 380N.m ($55)

12V_Car_Impact_Wrench_380N.m.
    2. Portable Air Compressor Heavy Duty 12V 150 PSI Pump ($34)

Portable-Air-Compressor-Heavy-Duty-12V-150-PSI-Pump-Tire.
    3. Tire puncture repair tool kit ($5)

Tire_puncture_repair_tool_kit.

7. JazzGD1 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chain wrench for open oil filter ($10). The tool can be used for other piping/plumbing jobs

20151103141126TZSXEYJHUFLI5_340.

8. Bones126 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

England Dave Birmingham
    Great thread, I didn't even know those oil drain valves existed..

9. JazzGD1 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

You can also use EZ oil drain valve EZ-106 M14-1.5

EZ_oil_drain_EZ-106_M14-1.5.

It is similar to Fumoto valve.

Bones126 likes this.
  10. Bones126 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

England Dave Birmingham
    Thanks, just been googling after reading this. Whats your experience with them? is there any sign of leakage?

Cheers

11. Nels Moderator Staff Team

We have had posts about them in the past. I cannot remember which threads they were on, but they can make oil draining much easier.
    Just make sure that you get the right size.

I prefer this type of removal tool. The chain type can crush the filter.
    Removal-Tool 2.
    I would advise not getting the impact wrench and compressor straight away (unless money is no issue).
    Far better to get a good quality socket set and a torque wrench.

i-DSI likes this.
  12. Bones126 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

England Dave Birmingham
    I'll second a good quality Torque wrench :Thumbup:

13. JazzGD1 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I already have a socket set. But I do not have a torque wrench. How much is a torque wrench? $100+ for a good torque wrench? Can I use manual torque wrench to open wheel nuts that were tighten by workshop service staff using air impact wrench? Nowadays, all workshops are using air impact wrench and the wheel nuts may be tighten too tight.

I had a bad experience with using car manufacturer's provided tools to open wheel nuts. One late night few years ago, I went to car park to drive home and saw one of my car's tire was flat. I spent one hour trying to open wheel nuts to change spare wheel but could not open any of wheel nuts. I had to ask one young guy just pass by to help me. That young guy also had hard time with the wheel nuts. He spent half hour with a lot of sweats and I paid him $50 to just open 4 wheel nuts.

I put spare wheel in, drove home. Next day, I drove to workshop to fix the puncture tire. To my surprise, workshop staff just used the tire puncture repair tool kit to fix my puncture tire. I did not expect simple fix like that. The staff told me the fix is depended on puncture. If the puncture is small hole and on bottom of the tire then it is ok to just fix like that. If the puncture is big hole or long hole and on side of the tire then can not fix, have to change tire. I paid $10 for that simple fix. Total lost $60.

After that bad incident, I bought the portable impact wrench 12 V + portable air compressor pump 12 V + tire puncture repair tool kit and always carry these emergency tools in my car. I have peace of mind, driving car across border into foreign country without worry about tire puncture any more.

14. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    i fully argee this is better than chain to remove oil filter...

15. JazzGD1 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I went to local hardware store to buy park plug socket and the cup tool to open oil filter. My local hardware store only had spark plug socket and did not have the cup tool. I was lazy to go to other stores, so I just bought the chain wrench to open oil filter and for other household piping/plumbing jobs. It saved my time and my money.

If you do not have chain wrench, you can buy one. It can be used to open and tighten oil filter.

16. JazzGD1 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I haven't yet used them, I am still waiting for shipping. According to other user feedback from internet, no leakage. The valves had 40+ years history in business, so I guess their valves quality must be good enough for normal passenger cars usage. For off road cars, trucks, commercial vehicles, I am not sure.

17. JazzGD1 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I just bought this tool from China $3.5 include shipping. It will not crush the oil filter.
    500mm Rubber Strap Wrench Adjustable Spanner For Opener Tool Oil Filter
    500mm-Rubber-Strap-Wrench-Adjustable-Spanner-For-Opener-Tool-Oil-Filter.

18. gbb14 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Angel Birmingham
    mate, I did the same thing as you did.
    Saw the prices of service garages and I ran away from them.
    I bought the tools and did everything on my Honda :Smile:.
    There is also a pleasure involved in servicing the car by yourself, so I will share what tools I bought to do a fu service on my car :Smile:.
    - Hex sockets 1/2" and 1/4" (including spark plugs socket and all sorts of bits (torx, hex, philips etc)
    - 75cm braker bar (super useful !)
    - Oil filter wrench
    - ball joint press kit
    - 2 jack stands
    - some bricks and a piece of wood (stole them from my neighbour :Grin: :Grin: JK)
    - metal brushes (for brake jobs)
    - feeler gauges (i will do some cam lifter adjustment)
    - a good can of elbow grease (you cannot work without it ! )

I've done : lower arms , ball joins, brake pads, bushes, drop links, oil, spark plugs... that's almost everything :Smile:

So keep up the good work and keep us up to date ! :Smile:

Cheers !

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

19. Nels Moderator Staff Team

That's what you send the apprentice to buy from Halfords! :Whistle:

gbb14 and andy83 like this.
  20. JazzGD1 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Service garages still charge cheaper than Honda's authorized service center charges.

My car will turn 10 years old this June 2018, I need to do a lot of maintenances:

1. Change coolant
    2. Change engine oil
    3. Change CVT fuild

Honda's authorized service center quoted me 3 times expensive than market price for Honda genuine fuilds such as Coolant, Engine Oil, CVT fuild... plus their $100 labor charge to get the 3 jobs done. I also ran away from them, buy Honda genuine fuilds from open market and buy tools to DIY.

Except the "Chang fuel filter" maintenance which is too advance for me, I think I can DIY the 3 maintenances above and I am also learning how to DIY "Change brake fuild" maintenance as well. It will save my money and yes you are right, it is also a pleasure involved in servicing my own car. I only come back to Honda's authorized service center to do "Chang fuel filter" maintenance.

- Hex sockets 1/2" and 1/4" (including spark plugs socket and all sorts of bits (torx, hex, philips etc) --> I have this

- 75cm braker bar (super useful !) --> I have 12 V portable impact wrench which can open all stuck nuts/bolts, however I will buy one of this breaker bar.

- Oil filter wrench --> I bought rubber oil filter wrench, it can tighten oil filer 3/4 round.

- ball joint press kit --> I do not know what is this. Please provide amazon link.

- 2 jack stands --> I had 2 jack stands and 2 scissor jacks, not sure 2 scissor jacks are good enough to do "Change brake fuild" maintenance? I am thinking of buying another 2 jack stands to have 4 jack stands for "Change brake fuild" maintenance.

- some bricks and a piece of wood (stole them from my neighbour :Grin: :Grin: JK) --> I also stole them from neighbour.

- metal brushes (for brake jobs) --> I will buy one of this.

- feeler gauges (i will do some cam lifter adjustment) --> I do not know what is this. Please provide amazon link. Cam lifter adjustment may be too advance maintenance for me.

- a good can of elbow grease (you cannot work without it ! ) --> I do not know what is this and what this used for? For cleanning? Please provide amazon link.

Can you do the following maintenances?
    1. "Change fuel filter" maintenance
    2. "Valves adjustment" maintenance