Tools My DIY tools for basic maintenances

Discussion in 'Tools & Equipment' started by JazzGD1, Wednesday 28th Mar, 2018.

1. JazzGD1 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Singapore JazzGD1 Singapore
    I bought these jack pads to jack up the car at 4 jack points:

Jack_Pads.
    I also bought 7 magnets to stick around oil filter. I am not sure magnetic oil filter will work? I bought the magnets because I replaced oil drain plug with fumoto drain valve. No more magnet at oil drain plug to attract and stick metal particles from oil. Hope magnetic oil filter can work. Please share your experience with magnetic oil filter.
    Magnetic_oil_filter.

2. gbb14 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Angel Birmingham
    haha, that was a joke :Rolf:
    I see you are a good guy so I will explain. Most mechanics are ironic and they joke a lot, so Elbow Grease is an idiom for working hard at manual labour. It is a figure of speech for humorously indicating nothing else but manual work is required.
    :bike:
    Welcome to the Honda Karma FORUM !! :gohonda::vtec::gohonda:

3. JazzGD1 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I searched elbow grease in Amazon and I found this link

I thought it was a tool for cleaning. Am I so naive? He he. Good to learn a new British idiom "elbow grease" and it took me only 2 days to learn that idiom.

Few days ago, my friend shared this picture to me. I was still luckier than the guy in this picture. He he.

Screenshot_2018-04-04-15-05-31-450_com.facebook.katana.

4. gbb14 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Angel Birmingham
    The rubber pads are ok, they come in handy at all times.
    Concerning the other thing, the magnets...throw them away, the filter already does its filtration (use a good filter, a known brand or an original part, but the aftermarket obes work the same ), so no need for these.
    They are advertised as being able to attract the metal pieces, but hey ! , if you have metal pieces floating in your engine oil, the oil filter is the least of your worries haha :Smile:
    Use them for sticking nuts and bolts in one place when servicing your carate , haha :Smile:

Cheers !

5. JazzGD1 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I bought this tool for brake fluid bleeding.

6. super sonic Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Supersoni Eastbourne
    Quick tip, you don't need to jack the car up to put the ramps under, you should be able to just drive up them. Unless your car is 'hellaflush' hth

7. JazzGD1 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I just completed the followings:
    1. Change CVT
    2. Change engine oil
    3. Change coolant
    4. Change brake fluid
    5. Inspect front brakes and rear brakes
    6. Rotate tyres

Don't know how much $$$ I saved from not going to dealer workshop.

Next year I will change spark plugs and adjust valves.

8. JazzGD1 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just share my quick tip to save money after I done several car maintenances.

1. No need to buy portable impact wrench to open wheel nuts. It is very easy to open them by using breaker bar.

2. No need to buy ramps or stands to lift car up. Just use breaker bar to open wheel nuts on one front wheel, then use your scissor jack to lift the car up, finally take the tyre out of the wheel and put the tyre under the car, next to the scissor jack. With the tyre provided extra support, you are safe to go under the car. If you want to lift 2 front wheels, you can buy another cheap scissor jack to do the same for the other front wheel.

9. Nels Moderator Staff Team

If the scissor jack fails and the car falls onto the wheel, the area of car impacting the wheel is not strengthened. It will cause serious damage to the car.
    It's much safer to use axle stands.

Additionally, NEVER get under a car only supported by a scissor jack. People have died when the jack fails or the car slides off the jack.

10. super sonic Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Not a good Idea, as Nels says. Never get under car on jack. Always use axle stands or ramps.

gbb14 likes this.
  11. super sonic Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I would not get under car supported by hydraulic jack , wether bottle or trolley. You can drive one end onto ramps then lift other end with jack and put axle stands in before getting under.

Nels likes this.