General New guy Questions

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by GleamB, Thursday 12th Oct, 2017.

1. GleamB New Member Getting Started

We have a 2014 which we pull behind a motorhome:

1) we keep draining the battery after only 5 to 6 hours of travel. Which fuse do we pull?? How do you pull them...bought a fuse tool at AutoZone...no can do !! Ridiculous where they installed the fuse box

2) thinking of install an AGM....any recommendations???

3) our back hatch is IMPOSSIBLE to open. Can I buy a new switch and replace it myself???

Thanks

2. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Sorry but I'm not sure where to start with this. Are you saying that you actually tow a 2014 CR-V behind a motorhome? If so I assume it must have some sort of front lift or someone steering it. I don't know what an AGM is.

We (or at least I) need more info to give an opinion on this.

Keith

3. Hatter Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Peter Rotherham
    If you have ignition on to take steering lock off then it will flatten battery eventually. Have you spoken with others who tow a car how they charge the car battery. Might be a cable that connects car to motorhome. Got to have lights on rear of CR-V so must have 13 or7/7 pin electrics there.
    Assume AGM is a battery type so I don't think it will make any difference BUT check with Honda that AGM is suitable for the CR-V electrics.
    Regarding tailgate, can't you even open it manually? If you can't then something jammed somewhere.
    Peter

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Friday 13th Oct, 2017
  4. crv2014ex Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom andy chesterfield
    AGM absorbent glass mat batteries are fitted to Cars with stop/start technology. They differ from lead acid batteries as they can cope better with startstop demands. You will need a twelve volt charging line similar to that used by tow cars for caravan leisure batteries.
    Obviously your CR-V is two wheel drive as AWD CR-Vs must not be towed, pushed or pulled and you've checked your gross train weight of motor home fully laden and CR-V in tow with the plate on your motor home and your current licence entitlement.
    The father in law wanted to tow a car behind his motor home but found it a legal nightmare.

5. Hatter Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Peter Rotherham
    Some useful and interesting info there @crv2014ex.

6. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    All very good advice and I must admit I wasn't aware of the issues around towing or pushing a AWD CR-V. So far as the regulatory issues are concerned, the OP is in the USA so the law will be very different there.

Keith

7. GleamB New Member Getting Started

Thanks for your response. Our Honda is a 2014 2 wheeler. It is the last year that motorhomes can "flat tow " a CR-V. After that, Honda changed the tranny. They were the second most car used to " toad " behind a motorhome. Jeep was number one. Honda gave up a " huge" market as a result. I'm sure the big dogs know what they are losing. Manual says to pull the radio fuse before traveling. We found it impossible to remove ANY fuses. Honda couldn't have made it any harder . So.....our battery runs down, mysteriously . We have read that the battery could stand to be upgraded. WE have heard good things about AGM batteries, and that is what I will try, next.

No one has responded to me asking about the rear door release button. Ours was touchy from the day we bought it ( we a 2nd owners ). Previous owner was a very good Honda owner, and always took her car to the dealer for ANY service. I like to do certain things, myself, if I feel I won't screw something up. Usually, less expensive??

Thanks for the help. gb

8. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Are you in the U.K. or the USA?

9. GleamB New Member Getting Started

10. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Ah, that explains it!
    Back here in Blighty our motor homes are much smaller and toads are small cars, never have I seen a CR-V BEHIND a caravan!
    You are right about Honda losing markets though, I have just read that the 2018 CR-V line up has NO diesels. That is the caravan market gone over here.