General New uk mobilio spike owner

Discussion in 'Imports & Worldwide' started by FD3S, Sunday 13th Aug, 2017.

1. FD3S Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Rob London
    Hello,

I want to introduce myself to the forum as I have recently joined the Honda owners!

So my story goes like this. I'm 32 years old from north London. I've been into my JDM cars since time began. I have been very fortunate in my life and have owned some fantastic cars ranging from Civics to supras, fto's to skylines. Around 7 years ago I bought an Fd3s rx7 and that became my obsession. I'm a rotary guy through and through and have one FD as a weekend car and another 2 which I'm currently restoring being purchased as rolling shells.

Around 2 1/2 years ago me and my partner were blessed with the birth of our daughter. Time has gone fast and it's that time where she will be starting pre school in September 2017. So instead of relying on my parter to haul us around from a to b (you can't get baby seat in an rx7 believe me I tried xD) I decided it's time to buy a daily. Something spacious, economical but most importantly JDM.

After a few hours of searching online, I stumbled across a YouTube video from some guys called office satoken.....they were a group of people who shared the same passion which was the Honda mobilio spike.....my first thought was....wtf is a mobilio spike!? Never heard of it. Seeing these cars in this video got me instantly hooked....I just fell in love with the charm and quirkiness of them.....so the search was on.

I found a lovely one up in middlesborough for same, it had a mix of mugen and modulo body styling, and was a gorgeous pearl white colour. The mileage was quite high 88k however I am mechanically minded and have rebuilt a few b series Honda engines in the past so the l series didn't worry me. If anything went wrong it would be torn down and rebuilt.

So I took a train up there and when I saw it, I knew this the one. I've owned it around 2 weeks and I love it. It's clean, a few marks here and there but nothing major. Drives spot on, CVT box is smooth as silk and the whole car has this unique charm appeal.

Of course my JDM mind is workIng overtime, constantly planning what mods to do, whilst trying to keep it as an everyday car (I am so tempted to do a k20 swap!). But I must be sensible so for now what I want to do is get some nice japan racing alloys on her, drop the ride height and some nice aftermarket headlights. Fortunately over the years I made some great friends from my trips to Japan so this has opened up the world of parts for these cars a lot as here in the uk you can't find anything!

Mobilio owners unite.....let's get in touch and share knowledge and ideas....I look forward to meeting and chatting with you all :Grin:

Attached Files:

Bones126 and FirstHonda like this.
  2. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Glad to see another Mobilio/Spike join in the group, as a previous owner I found them a great car with a good bit of space, Honda reliability, and great fuel economy (averaged 16.7km/l) for a 7seat bus at least in our case. Many of the parts are shared with the Jazz/Fit so never had an issue with sourcing service parts. Sold ours a few years ago as the need for room increased and picked up our StepWGN. Only downsides I ever felt with them was the first gen EPS being a bit twitchy, you get used to it, and catching a cross wind on the motorway could be a bit frighting with its quirky box shape and light curb weight. Hope it does well for you.

3. FD3S Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hello,

Yes I quite agree with you about the EPS being twitchy. I love the effortless steering however I did notice I had to keep adjusting the steering all the time to try keep straight! Hehe but it's something I hope to get used to, not so bad around town but on motorways it's noticeable. I have a set of tein coilovers coming over from Japan so I'm hoping lowering the rideheight and also throwin in adjustable droplinks will stabilise the car a bit more to eliminate these issues.

Aside that it's fantastic I'm in love. The stepwagon is also a fantastic vehicle, I was looking at them also but the quirkiness of the spike won and I don't regret it. I just gave her a full service and shes purring like a kitten.

4. mikecrooky Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

hi, i have recently purchased a honda mobilio spike , 65k on the clock, all paperwork is in japanese though, i don't know how to drive using the 7 speed trip auto box , also i would like to know what parts can be used from more familiar models like brake discs, pads , the usual wear and tear stuff ??

5. FD3S Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Mike,

Congratulations on your purchase! I'm sure you will enjoy the car as much as I am mine. So to use the 7 speed mode, once the car is drive, press the 7speed mode button that's on the right center of the steering wheel. On the dash you'll see the M icon light up and a red '1' in the little window. Then either side of the steering wheel there's 2 buttons with + and - symbols on each side, the + is to shift up a gear and the - to shift down. You can use which ever side you wish to use to shift up and down. I use the right + button to shift up and the left - button to shift down. Then you simply accelerate and whenever you want to change gear you just press the + button, likewise when you are slowing down you press the - to shift down to whichever gear you need.

Regarding parts I'm currently in the process of putting together a comprehensive parts list with Part numbers for various brands. Finding parts isn't as hard as you think as a lot of Honda models use the same parts as the spike.

When I'm home I'll post the common parts up with Part numbers for you.

JayG, mikecrooky and FirstHonda like this.
  6. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    You can find all the drawings and part numbers in jp-carparts.com and then cross reference through google for spurious parts or I've had good luck with Genuine Japanese Car Part Imports - Amayama for OEM usually reasonably priced and fast shipping. You'll get the best fuel economy if you just leave it in D and drive but the paddle shift can be fun on occasion.

7. mikecrooky Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

many thanks JD, very helpfull info, not tried the 'paddle' method yet ,just normal D',, the other mistery is the little black button on the side of the gear stick, also stick-lock slot but i don't have a key' if any ?

8. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    The slot is for releasing the stick from park if the interlock fails or refuses to release for some reason you use the ignition key in the slot. That way you can at least push it in neutral!

I think (its been a few years), the button selected the full CVT, automatic 7 speed, and then you use the paddles to engage the manual 7 speed mode. The whole 7 speed thing is mainly a gimmick as it only uses computer assigned presets for the belt position in the transmission. If you not overly familiar with the CVT a brief explanation can be found Honda Worldwide | Technology Picture Book | CVT

If you have the Japanese manual or download it you can use the google translate app on your phone/tablet to get a rough idea what its saying about certain features.

9. FD3S Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The black S button is 'sport' mode. It's meant to change the ratios of the gearing for a more sportier feel.

Even tho the 7 speed manual mode is gimmicky which I agree with, I tell you what.....the car flies in comparison to the normal D position....I was impressed just how fast it felt!

So here's a few Part numbers for the mobilio.

Oil - 5w20 recommended by manufacturer.
    Oil filter - 15400-PLC-004
    Spark plugs - IZFR6K13
    Air filter - 17220-PWA-J10
    Cabin filter - 08R79-SAA -000A
    Brake pads - 45022- SNC-E00
    Brake discs - 45251-SCC-900
    Rear brake drum - 42610-S6A- G00
    Rear brake shoes - 43153-S10-A01

There's the main service items, you can cross reference those Part numbers with other brands to find the right parts. Still searching for a fuel filter part no.

Also, to give people a heads up. If you ever disconnect or change the battery you will need to perform the Honda idle learn song and dance routine if not it will not be a happy bunny (ask me how I know -_-)....here's how.

-Connect battery.
    -Turn ignition 2 clicks to ON. Count 2 secs.
    -Turn engine On, hold the revs @ 3000rpm for 5mins.
    -Release throttle and let the car idle for 2 fan 'on and off' cycles (so radiator fan comes on then off that's 1 cycle....do this twice).
    -Turn AC on full for a few mins, 2-3 mins is fine.
    -Turn wipers on with your right foot.
    -Don't actually do that lol xD....so after the AC step your done.

Take the car for a nice long drive and it should be nice. I literally changed my battery and drove it as normal and the idle was horrible, felt like it wanted to stall....idle was very bouncy. After researching I did the above and was as good as gold :Smile:

JayG and mikecrooky like this.
  10. mikecrooky Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

thank you DJ, i didnt know changing a battery could be so complicated, im going to the honda garage in Cardiff when i get a chance to see if they can change the 'screen' dash panel to read in english instead of japanese, by reprogramming on board computer , was told this is possible, sat-nav is no good in japanese etc !.

11. FD3S Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Believe me I spent a while researching why my car didn't run right after a battery install, apparently quite common in hondas, this idle learning business covers a few other models too.

Please let us know how you get on at the garage. I am curious to see if they can do anything to convert the Japanese unit to English. When I owned an mazda rx8 a few years back it was an import and Mazda converted the satnav to English, uk. Was a bit pricey but it could be done. Since the mobilio wasn't released in the uk or Europe I wonder if they will still support it, please let us know!

Another thing to look into is the radio. My spike came with an aftermarket double din stereo, it was a Japanese one which meant the reciever was specific to Japan.....so when searching for a radio station is can only cover frequencies between 75-90.1.... the only radio station that works is radio 2 lol. Apparently you can buy adapters that plug inline of the radio antenna wire to fix this.....I've not done it as I'll be installing an aftermarket unit soon.....but just to give you a heads up if you find your having the same issue.

mikecrooky likes this.
  12. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    There is also a start clutch calibration learn procedure on those transmissions,
    • When any of the following items is applied, the feedback signal memory for the start clutch control in the PCM is cleared. The PCM must be memorized the feedback signal for the start clutch control.
      • Disconnecting the battery terminal(s)
      • Removing the No. 20 ECU (15A) fuse in the under-dash fuse/relay box
      • Replaced the start clutch
      • Replaced the control valve body
      • Overhauled the transmission assembly
      • Replaced the transmission assembly
      • Overhauled the engine assembly
      • Replaced the engine assembly
      1. Warm engine to operating temperature (till the fan comes on)
      2. Start the engine under no-load conditions, then turn the headlights on
      3. Start off in [D] position, and drive the vehicle until vehicle speed reaches 60 km/h (37 mph), then decelerate the vehicle in more than 5 seconds without pressing the brake pedal to reach completion.
      4. Test drive to make sure no faults are found.

Keep us updated on how you get on with the navigation, the unit I have in the StepWGN I've been told I can't change the language - Might be a different system though they offered 4 or 5 choices in navi units.

13. FD3S Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks JD, learned something new. Whatever happened to the days of new battery in and off you go xD. How's your car coming along anyhow? Did you get the coilovers?

14. FD3S Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hey can I ask one of you guys to check something. On top the throttle body there's a vaccine circulatin valve with PCS 4S 12v Denso written on it. Mine is constantly clicking on and off very fast....I can't remember if this was normal as I never remember hearing it. Since the battery change I've noticed it. Maybe it's just me or maybe something hasn't reset properly? If you can have a look and see if yours does the same. When I started the car I don't think it done it. When parked up after a drive it's there clicking on and off very fast

15. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Yep thats normal and should only start ticking when the engine is pretty much up to temperature its a purge control solenoid nothing to worry about but they can be noisy little things. It allows some of the vapors from the fuel tank that are stored in a charcoal canister to be burnt off in the engine.

16. FD3S Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ah thanks for that. Glad to know I didn't break anything haha xD

17. JayG Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom JayG London
    Good to know! Thanks for the tip. Will have to learn that song.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Welcome to the world of Spike ownership FD35!

Mine is coming up to its first birthday in the UK. Just had the CVT fluid changed at a Honda main dealer. £75 well spent, in my opinion.

All the mods I had planned are still on the planning list - the year has flown. I am so pleased with Loocy (my car) as was scared that getting back in to car ownership after 10 years would see me constantly paying for maintanence. Glad I chose a Honda.

I have another gig tonight where the Spike will be confusing people with just how much can be fitted in such a small box on wheels.

18. FD3S Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks, I am really enjoying owing this car....I'm slowly learning about the engine as I'm used to early 90s cars where they didn't have so many electrical gadgets on them. As you say, so far this car seems reliable and strong!

Keep us updated on the mods front, I've recently bought a new mugen rear light garnish (when it was imported they drilled into it to fit the dog lamp grrrr) also purchased some mugen wind deflectors, a dash trim garnish kit in piano black and a clarion double din satnav unit to set it all off. Bought some rims too, kinda experimental at the moment, they are 17x8 et35 Japan racing jr15. The factory offset is 45 so they may poke out a bit, and also being 8j they may rub on the shocks so it's a little bit trial and error but want to see what the limits are and what kind of fitment we can get away with.

Keep you all updated here with pics etc, also those bc coilovers you found over at h-tune are looking very tempting.

The mugen rear garnish with fog lamp is sitting in my shed doing nothing if anyone wants it.

Good luck with the gig! :Smile:

19. mikecrooky Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

hi guys, as ever, another question for you lot ,, i am wondering what the official part no is for the gear-box oil in my 7 speed auto box on the Spike, can't make head or tail from the manual,, also does anyone know what the switch is for in the photo just below and to the left of the sliding door switch, many thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

20. FD3S Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi mike

I assume the switch is for the fog light. These cars are fitted with a fog light when imported as it’s a legal requirement to have in the uk.

I believe the CVT gearbox fluid part number is
    08260-999-05HE

:Smile:

mikecrooky and andy83 like this.