Engine & Gearbox New whine noise on 2.2 cdti at 75k miles. Ideas?

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by WoodyYork, Wednesday 27th Dec, 2017.

1. WoodyYork Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Caleb York
    In the last two weeks I've noticed a new whine coming from the front of the car. The pitch of the noise changes with revs rather than speed.

I know this engine already is quite whiny, but this is a new noise that has developed recently.

Initially, it only came after the engine had warmed up a bit (maybe after 5 miles or so) then would go after the engine had been working hard for 30 mins or so. Now, it seems to be there from start up and stays there the whole time.

Any ideas? Timing chain issue maybe? Car has done 75k miles. Thoughts appreciated.

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

The chain is inside the engine. If that's causing it at 75k, that's not good!
    Maybe the (Aux) belt pulley?

3. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Mine did this just before I was due to trade it in and put me in a right tizzy. Suspected turbo problems so took it in to my local garage and we couldn’t find anything amiss. Then I turned the radio off! Something had started interfering with the signal and producing exactly the whine you describe, might be worth a check?

Airbear likes this.
  4. stu(pid) Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    When you get the whine. Switch off the engine and check the power steering fluid reservoir - is the fluid full of bubbles? This was the cause of the whine in my car - kids said it sounded like an electric car!

5. stu(pid) Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
  6. Dc5 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Badeshi Bristol
    I have a whining kind of noise. Also have frothy power steering fluid. Hopefully is power steering pump related. I have o rings so will update if it works!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

7. WoodyYork Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Afraid I've checked that and it isn't my radio! Noise is still there when I turn radio, air con and everything else off. Thanks for the suggestions though.
    - - - Updated - - -
    It definitely feels like it could be something on the Aux belt. I had the air con compressor replaced last year so I'm hoping it's not that. Could be a pulley I guess. Had it in for it's MOT today and my mechanic said it wasn't loud/bad enough yet to pinpoint so I've got to wait until it gets worse.
    - - - Updated - - -
    The power steering fluid reservoir is full of bubbles after I've had the engine running - but my mechanic said this is normal anyway. Is he right?
    - - - Updated - - -
    I guess I've got very little to lose by trying a new O ring. Seems to have worked for some people. Thanks for the link.

8. foursail Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

i had a loud whine come on once turned out to be the O-ring on front of the power steering pump. Easy change jobs a good un.

9. WoodyYork Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I changed the o ring but alas no change. Still very noisy.

Took it in to my local Honda garage and paid £39.99 for the privilege of them telling me that the bearings are going in my power steering pump and they want £800 to replace it.

Just doesn’t add up for me because when I bleed the system of air (full lock left, full lock right with engine off) it makes no noise for half a mile before starting to make noise again. Just feels like air in the system to me.

Any ideas about where else air could be getting into the system?

10. stu(pid) Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    Does it still make the noise when you turn the aircon off? That should disconnect the aircon pulley from the aircon compressor. Is there still bubbles in the steering fluid? Did you change both o-rings on the pump? What is the level of the steering fluid in the reservoir?

11. foursail Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I also took it to Honda garage the bloke said the bubbles were normal he showed me another FR-V that happened to be in at that time it was exactly the same. Who knows could be bearing, I remember changing the fluid at same time. Did u get right o-ring ? There’s a video on u tube somewhere go’s into it.

Mentions happens on other Honda makes too

12. WoodyYork Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes it still makes the noise when the air con is off. There are definitely bubbles in the fluid when the engine is on. I only changed the o-ring that sits inside the entrance to the pump. Where is the other one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. WoodyYork Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I changed it exactly like the guy in the video. The o-ring was from Honda and I walked the parts guy through where it is. I’m confident he knew the right o-ring, but it hasn’t made a difference. In fact, it’s gradually getting worse all the time now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. stu(pid) Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    This video shows the top o-ring replaced as well:

15. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    mate if all o rings are ok why not change your fluid....