ICE & HFT No Android Auto

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by Hatter, Wednesday 20th Jun, 2018.

1. Hatter Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Peter Rotherham
    Hi there

Recently contacted Honda UK to ask if Android Auto was going to be incorporated into the Connect Infotainment in the vehicles running Android 4.0.4 or whether an upgrade to Android 4.2.2 was on the cards.

Below is the reply which to me reads that Honda seem to have abandoned the 4.0.4 version and it will only get updates to try to keep it working (suppose it is something to be thankful for). Very disappointing to say the least but not unexpected, but why are they are trying to 'lock it down' with the latest updates? At least they could let those who want to add apps do so. I find Waze and Sygic both work well, much better than the Garmin. At least they haven't routed me through a five barred gate into a field!

Interestingly as well, if the reply is correct, then RC9 should be about soon. Wonder what delights it will bring? Maybe mirrorlink will work!

Thank you for contacting Honda UK.
    At this time Honda have no plans to incorporate the Android Auto feature in to older vehicle year models.
    In order to obtain the latest update for you vehicle, we advise contacting your nearest Honda authorised dealership. Updates for the Honda Connect system are released around June each year.
    If you come across any errors on the mapping system, you can use the following facility on Garmin's website to report this - https://my.garmin.com/mapErrors/report.faces.
    Thank you for contacting Honda UK. If you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards
    Peter

2. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    No surprises there then. Honda continue to have no interest in providing up to date IT systems in line with nearly all other car manufacturers. They are falling a long way behind and ultimately it will impact car sales.

Keep up the good work on keeping us updated on all things infotainment Hatter.

Keith

Hatter likes this.
  3. Hatter Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Peter Rotherham
    For those interested, latest software update for Connect Infotainment available. Called RC9. Cured a lot of issues for me.

4. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Thanks Hatter. I'll ask the dealer to update mine when it has its 2nd service in November. I did ask last November but as it was only in for an hour or so and they said they would do it but it could take some time, I gave it a miss.

Keith

5. Hatter Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Peter Rotherham
    Let them know beforehand so they can allocate time.

Peter

6. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Yeah will do, although it was more about my time than theirs on that occasion.

Keith

7. Hatter Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Peter Rotherham
    Just an update on RC9.
    So far, for me:
    Mirrorlink now works with my LG G4.
    Bluetooth seems to work better, so far, and for the first time I can have wifi and Bluetooth on at the same time without dropping one or both.
    The system seems more stable and responsive.
    Still got the useless calendar app which won't work for me as I don't have a Microsoft Exchange account (who does?). Which bright spark at Honda thought of using Exchange over Google?
    There's a music app now, on the Android apps page (the 3 dots on the home screen) which seems to work ok.
    Don't think there has been any change to the Garmin app, for those who have sat nav installed, over the previous update RC8.
    If I discover anything else then I'll update further.
    Regards
    Peter

andy83 likes this.
  8. FirstHonda Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Ed Wiltshire
    The pace of change for all tech - including in-car - is breathtaking. Sometimes I feel as though I'm the only person left who just gets into the car and turns on Radio 2. I don't even know what most of the referenced 'apps' on threads like this are!

Anyway, to be fair/charitable to Honda, with an ageing population and an older buyer demographic they may be trying to keep things simple. What they seem to be missing is that older customers are much more tech savvy now. Will it lose them sales? Possibly, but at this stage I still think reliability, practicality and price are more important. Personally I actively avoid cars with up to date tech as it baffles me.

This may all be rather moot over the next 5 years in any case. I hear on the grapevine that the EU are looking to force manufacturers to disable any in-car features that can't be programmed on the move either by voice control or by steering wheel controls (for safety reasons). Control via touch screens, the hateful I-Drive type things and similar will be disabled when the car is moving. They are looking for software updates to disable the same on 'recently manufactured' vehicles too. Yes, we will be out of the EU by that point, but the price for allowing access to the single market for goods will be consistency of standards, so we will be caught by this too. Sorry, but there it is...it won't be announced for a while, but it is on the agenda and 80% will happen.