CR-V Not about THAT specifically, crusing....

Discussion in 'Lounge & Gossip' started by Chrispike, Monday 10th Sep, 2018.

1. Chrispike Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Trying to gain maximum MPG from my CDTI CR-V-

Im doing A/B roads, doing anywhere between 30-60 at various points, what gear should I be in to maximise MPG?

I've been doing

30 - 4th
    40 - 5th
    50+ 6th

But i'm wondering if 6th is more of a 70mph gear and if i'd do better in 5th at 50/60 and 4th at 40.

Opinions??

2. 1066Boy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Throttle position is more important. Light throttle sitting 2-3000 revs. :Smile: Works for me.

IMG_20170515_200120.

Chrispike likes this.
  3. Chrispike Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nice 1066boy! Is that a petrol though?

Light throttle I can do. Just need that sweet spot of engine revs to hold it at (And to stop using cruise control all the time)

4. 1066Boy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yep, 1.8 petrol Civic Type-S. Check what revs you are at, 90Km or 56Mph in top gear. :Smile:

andy83 likes this.
  5. Chrispike Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Right, did a test run today, 40 odd miles.

I was at just over half a tank left and about 43.7mpg according to computer. I switched to B outside Gloucester and reset it. After my run to Malvern and back, being a gear lower than I otherwise would, I arrived in work on 50mpg and got home on 48.6 MPG based on my trip of just over 40 miles. The A reading for MPG (the tank so far) has gone up to 44.2mpg.

1066Boy likes this.
  6. Davej5 Premium Member Club Supporter

Dave Cornwall
    You want to keep it at maximum torque which on a diesel is about 2000 RPM.

7. Chrispike Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thank you! Today, i've been changing up at around 2000rpm, but a few of the gears do seem to sit near that, i'll try to keep it closer to 2000rpm tomorrow and see what happens!

A 4mpg increase (assuming the computer can be relied upon) will mean an extra day per tank!

1066Boy likes this.
  8. 1066Boy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sitting at 85 mph for hours on end on the French toll roads. All done on a light throttle. :Smile:

IMG_20180310_202755.
    - - - Updated - - -
    This included 700 miles+ each way and a couple of hundred miles of playing in the mountains with 2nd gear hairpins.

andy83 likes this.
  9. Chrispike Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've been working on light throttle. B has setted at around 47.8mpg and A has gone up to over 45mph now. The higher revs are working!

1066Boy likes this.
  10. Chrispike Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

New week, new tank!

After my journey of 40 odd miles today, am on 47.5 MPG! Its working!!

1066Boy likes this.