Tools OBD readers - again

Discussion in 'Tools & Equipment' started by jd1959, Tuesday 14th Nov, 2017.

1. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    I was trying out the 'clone' HDS with the wifes new car (JDM '09 facelift Stream RSZ) and got a failure to connect error, also tried my cheap ebay reader as well with a similar result. Both are working fine with my Stepwgn and did work fine with the '06 Fit. Did Honda change to a different protocol somewhere between '06 and '09 as far as anyone knows? Also any thoughts if updating the HDS/HIM with newer software might solve the problem currently running 3.012.030, given a clone and cracked software update may or may not work. If purchasing a newer one what protocols am I looking for?

Thanks,
    Zack

2. noor New Member Getting Started

Did you program him after software update ?

Sent from my LG-K100 using Tapatalk

3. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    I didn't want to try anything with the software or him till I got a bit of feedback. I know some of the clones are finicky to say the least and didn't want to wreck it until I thought it might have a chance of sorting the problem. It was bought with the statement that it would do all cars up to 2013, obviously not, and that two readers won't communicate with the car made me think they switched protocols somewhere along the line. Both still work fine with the '05, and when we had it the '06.

Update:

Started digging a bit more this morning looks like they started switching to ISO 15765-4 CAN 29/500 around the mid '00's from ISO 9141. Any thoughts as to if updating the HIM I have would allow it to communicate or would I be better off looking into something like https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fre...2-Diagnostic-Tool-Cable-obd2/32823292855.html which in theory should do what I want in terms of diagnostics and snapshot data, I have no intention of coding keys or ECU changes.

Last edited: Wednesday 15th Nov, 2017
  4. noor New Member Getting Started

Firstly you need to ensure that your usb to serial is working and then make sure you are on com1 after that you will need to use power supply to program him inside HDS then connect to vehicle

Sent from my LG-K100 using Tapatalk

5. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Thanks, I did update the HDS to 3.101.044 and tried to update the HIM which gave me an error I'll double check the ports and try again with the 12v mains adapter and see what happens. The system did still work with the older car so at least I know its not scrap at this point. The current HIM version I have is HIMDB v1.3e

noor likes this.