Electrical & Lights Odometer not lighting.

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by LostBoke, Wednesday 23rd May, 2018.

1. LostBoke Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Phil Pill
    The odometer was working fine showing everything. The I went out, started the car and noticed that the mileage was not showing This is not the back light but the actual digit display. Is there a fuse (hopefully), or something else I should be looking at?

Regards for any help

LB

2. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    hello mate is anything else affected I will have a look in to this more I wonder if @Harvey or any others have more of a clue..
    Thanks
    Andy

Harvey likes this.
  3. LostBoke Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Phil Pill
    Hi Andy. Thanks for that. As far as I can see everything else on the cluster, apart from the temp/fuel back light, is working.

Reading other tales of speedo replacement, I hope It's something simple, *SHUDDER*

Regards

LB

4. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The lights on these are LED's from what I understand, and therefore they should not burn out like traditional filament bulbs. However I would be in the thinking that there might be a loose connection on the back.

andy83 likes this.
  5. LostBoke Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Phil Pill
    Hello Harvey. Thanks for the reply. I've been reading about unit removal and checking connections, I'll give it a try.
    If it needs a replacement unit, is the mileage stored on board, and, if so, can it be transferred to a new one (it would have to be a used one from Ebay)?

Regards

LB

6. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

As far as I am aware, the miles are stored on the instrument cluster and I don't know if another one can be reprogramed with the mileage. However there are companies who repair these units, but I don't know how much that will cost. Audi ones where famous for having dead screens and pixels in them.

7. LostBoke Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Phil Pill
    Hmm! looks like it's a removal, 'shake, thump and hope for the best' job.

Harvey likes this.
  8. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

unfortunately I can't advise on the correct removal of the instrument panel, but would deffo say invest in some plastic trim removal tools, that way you don't damage any interior trim pieces.
    Usually though from experience on other cars, its best to remove the shroud around the steering wheel to reveal often hidden or hard to reach screws under it for the bezel.

LostBoke likes this.
  9. LostBoke Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Phil Pill
    Thanks for that. I've just ordered some trim removal tools, lets see what transpires.

Harvey, Nels and andy83 like this.
  10. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Any updates yet mate?

andy83 likes this.
  11. LostBoke Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Phil Pill
    No, nothing at the moment - I've been a bit too busy, I'm hoping to remove the cluster on Friday and give it a kick.

As an aside. I've seen some adverts for used units but they all seem to be for a diesel version, is there a difference?

12. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

there will be mate, for a start they will have the circuitry in place for the glow plug warning light and also a different tachometer, they may even have different wiring to where the tachometer picks up its RPM signal.

LostBoke likes this.
  13. LostBoke Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Phil Pill
    Yes I was afraid that would be the case, plus, so far. I've not seen advertised for an automatic. Going on like this I shall probably end up with my mrs holding one of those wheel-on-a-stick measuring thingies out of the window. :Smile:
    - - - Updated - - -
    I tell a lie. I've just seen an advert for a unit for an automatic ( Part Number :78100-E200 ) but it's for a 2.0 not a 2.4, is there a difference?

Harvey likes this.
  14. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Couldn't say if there is any difference between an 2 litre and 2.4

would have to compare the part numbers on something like Genuine Honda Parts | Honda Cars | Honda Motorcycles | Honda Power Products | Lings Honda Parts .

otherwise there is something like this https://speedycables.com/ Found these on the interwebs.

LostBoke likes this.
  15. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    @LostBoke what year your accord mate is it PFL or FL...

16. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

PFL means pre facelift (2002 - 2005) Like the image below 20161218_130128.

FL means facelift (2005 - 2008)
    2006_accord_24tl.

LostBoke and andy83 like this.
  17. LostBoke Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Phil Pill
    Thanks for those handy links, they will probably be very handy.

Hello Andy83. It's a December 2003 model, PFL or FL ?? Sorry, not a clue. (and the log book has not yet arrived)

Hi Harvey. Thanks for that - now I under stand. so, it;s a PFL.

Harvey likes this.
  18. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

did you buy the car from a dealer? and if so, surely they gave you some kind of warranty?

Also I'm inclined to think that the reason the mileage doesn't show up when the clocks are on, is that its the numbers that display white, rather than the background. so I recon its an LED that's gone out rather than the clocks not displaying.

LostBoke and andy83 like this.
  19. LostBoke Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Phil Pill
    Yes I got a months warranty, But after returning it for an aircon repair which included the replacement of the compressor and condenser at a cost to them of just short of what I paid for the car and the fact that they gave me a rather generous trade in for my old banger, I though I might go easy on them. As I remember, when it was working, the odometer display was an orangy colour, but I may be mistaken.

andy83 and Harvey like this.
  20. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

oh, ok fair enough mate. Deffo shouldn't be orange, unless its a sport, which I think are red, but the mileage display is usually white.
    - - - Updated - - -
    This is what it should look like.
    20180419_173024.

LostBoke likes this.