Optional Extras Odyssey Aircon issue

Discussion in 'Imports & Worldwide' started by djcrossie, Monday 22nd May, 2017.

1. djcrossie Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Dave West Midlands
    Was wondering if anyone has any advice. Firstly I know it's difficult to diagnose aircon issues over the net but I'm just after some suggestions.

The aircon is just not blowing cold. I have a mechanic who has checked the following. Clutch & compressor - Both working fine and engage independently of each other.
    Pressure and leaks - No leaks with the right amount of coolant and the correct pressure.
    Aircon Relays - Both changed out for new items.
    After checking all these things the only thing left (we think) is a temp sensor. There are two on the car, one in the bumper for the outside (ambient) temperature and one in the dash board for the sunlight temp.

I have an outside temp sensor on the dash which reads correct and I'm guessing that's coming from the bumper mounted sensor.

Would I be correct in thinking it's the dash sensor which could be faulty? How do these Honda AC units work? My mechanic reckons the AC is engaging but only for a second or two before cutting off. Anyone had a similar issue? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Some pointers which may help you in narrowing down this issue on your RB1 , the search on the forum is down but will fix that issue now. Look for a thread for aircon reset procedure.

Pressure Test
    Test resultsRelated symptomsProbable cause
    Driver and passenger’s side
    A/C vent temperatures may vary by approximately 11 °C (52 °F) or more
    Suction pressure may be low
    Low refrigerant charge
    Expansion valve not opening sufficiently
    Air mix door DTCs presentOne air mix door stuck or inoperative
    Discharge pressure abnormally High
    Discharge pressure reduced when A/C condenser cooled with water spray
    With doors open, fresh air selected and radiator and A/C condenser fan run on high speed, temperature drop across A/C condenser inlet to outlet is less than about 5 °C (41 °F)
    Significant refrigerant overcharge
    Restricted/weak airflow through A/C condenser
    Dirty A/C condenser or damaged fins
    Debris between A/C condenser and radiator
    One or more cooling fans malfunctioning
    Discharge pressure abnormally Low
    Suction and discharge pressures equalize rapidly after stopping A/C compressor
    Suction pressure higher than normal
    Faulty A/C compressor discharge valve or seal
    Suction pressure abnormally LowWeak or insufficient airflow across evaporatorRestricted blower intake or dust and pollen filter
    Suction pressure varies from near normal to a vacuum, as moisture freezes in expansion valve orifice
    Moisture in the system
    Faulty expansion valve
    Reduced airflow from vents
    Vent temperature is very low
    Condensation freezing on evaporator
    Faulty evaporator temperature sensor (check DTC)
    Faulty expansion valve or A/C compressor clutch relay
    Suction pressure abnormally High
    Lack of slight suction pressure variation at 1,500 min -1 (rpm) when ‘‘Recirculated’’ airflow is switched to ‘‘Fresh Air’’
    Discharge pressure near normal
    Expansion valve stuck open or open too long
    Suction and Discharge pressures abnormally High
    Sheet of paper does not stick to front of A/C condenser surface with cooling fans on
    With doors open, fresh air selected and radiator and A/C condenser fan run on high speed, temperature drop across A/C condenser inlet to outlet is less than about 5 °C (41 °F)
    One (or both) cooling fan motor inoperative or wires reversed
    A/C compressor clutch remains engaged during off cycle
    Pressure relief valve may open
    Insufficient A/C compressor clutch clearance
    A/C compressor clutch relay or circuit problem
    Excessive air in system
    Suction and Discharge pressures abnormally LowSuction line from expansion valve to A/C compressor is not coldExcessively low refrigerant charge
    Lack of slight suction pressure variation at 1,500 min -1 (rpm) when ‘‘Recirculated’’ airflow is switched to ‘‘Fresh Air’’Expansion valve clogged with debris/desiccant, stuck closed, or not opening sufficiently
    More than 10-16 °C (50-60 °F) temperature drop across A/C condenser inlet to outlet pipesBlocked or restricted A/C condenser internal passages or lines/components restricting refrigerant flow
    Significant temperature difference along high or low side A/C lines or components (NOTE: Some restrictions may not show up until 3,000 min -1 (rpm))Restriction in A/C suction or discharge lines or components (check temperatures to isolate)
    Suction pressure High and Discharge pressure Low
    Excessive A/C compressor noise
    Pressures equalize quickly and noise after A/C compressor turns off
    A/C compressor internal damage (Check for A/C system debris contamination)
    Suction and discharge pressures normal (or near normal)Vent temperature too high
    Slightly low refrigerant charge
    Air mix door sticking, misadjusted or inoperative
    Excessive refrigerant oil in system
    Static pressures high with A/C system equalized. (After engine is off 4-12 hours)
    Air/Non-condensable gasses in system
    Contaminated or incorrect refrigerant

3. djcrossie Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks @Ichiban. I've tried the reset procedure with no joy, guess I'll try the sensor and go from there. :Niceone:

andy83 and Ichiban like this.
  4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Keep us posted bud.

andy83 likes this.
  5. djcrossie Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Went to see my mechanic and plugged the car into the computer, the temp sensors are now all reading fine.

The pressure reading is way down. Its at less than a bar and should be at 8-9 bar. The car had a full aircon service just a few weeks ago and there were no leaks or issues. Now thinking it's the pressure sensor. We also couldn't engage the clutch on the AC which we could do a few weeks ago.

I'm hoping it's the pressure sensor otherwise it could be a new compressor :Sobbing: