General Off to France

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Smokingman, Tuesday 12th Jul, 2016.

1. Smokingman Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John LN5
    Hi.
    Just after a bit of advise, taking my Accord to France in Aug - Sept. Over here it has been feed Shell diesel since I have had it, is Shell or similar readily available? if so what?

John

honda_saj likes this.
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Just be careful what you fill as the Frog's love bio diesel don't fill that. When I and Leo went to Geneva we saw loads of Bio diesel pumps on the French side.

honda_saj likes this.
  3. Nels Moderator Staff Team

You can search for Shell or BP filling stations with your sat nav. That's what I did this year.

honda_saj likes this.
  4. Smokingman Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John LN5
    Thanks guys for the replies, last time I was in France I had a Renault and was not too particular what it drank! but the Accord is a different thing all together. Had a very brief look at french Shell website and there seems to be some fuel stations around, not looked at BP. In the unlikely event i'm miles from either can you recommend an alternative?

honda_saj likes this.
  5. mikey77 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I live in France. When I bought my 8th Generation three and a half years ago it was the first diesel motor I've ever owned so I asked the dealer whether I should use 'premium' diesel - having heard a lot about DPF problems, etc. He said 'no, it will be ok on ordinary'. I do a lot of travelling and since then I have run it on supermarket ordinary diesel and the standard stuff from the likes of Total, Avia, etc, with no issues. The only time I experimentally put Total 'Excellium' in it at a big hike in price it didn't, indeed, seem to make any difference at all and the promised improved fuel consumption didn't materialise either. So I wouldn't worry too much...

6. Smokingman Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John LN5
    @mikey77 thanks the the reply. It will be my intention to not use supermarket fuel as i have been told that it may be part BIO which is a no no!! however some supermarket fuel will be OK just be careful at the pump, maybe the odd tank full would not hurt.

John.

honda_saj likes this.
  7. mikey77 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

If you look for Total Access (formerly Elf) service stations with the grey (everything new in France is grey) livery you'll find their ordinary diesel is virtually supermarket price - ie about 10-12 cents a litre below ordinary filling stations. Bon voyage.

Nels likes this.
  8. Smokingman Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John LN5
    Followed @mikey77 advice last year and had a tank of Total with out any problems. But going a lot further afield in France this year driving down to the Pyrenees so will use a lot more fuel. So I asked Honda UK for advice who said contact Honda France, who said contact a local French dealer!! anyway found a dealer who replied with the following:-

upload_2017-5-11_14-4-43.

John.

andy83 likes this.
  9. mikey77 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

See my earlier reply! I'm still following my own recommendations with no apparent issues. I use supermarket diesel all the time these days and do about 12k miles a year. I don't recall ever seeing a bio diesel-marked pump anywhere in my part of the world (south-west). IIf you're going to the Pyrenees there's a fantastic disused railway station just over the top on the Spanish side of the Somport Pass, due south of Pau. You can Google Canfranc station. I've been meaning to get there for two years now but it's two days from here and I'm getting older...

Nels likes this.
  10. Smokingman Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John LN5
    @mikey77
    we're off here in August - Arcizans-Avant

11. Smokingman Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John LN5
    @mikey77 If we have time were thinking of driving to that part of Spain as it's about 2-3 drive from where we will be - that just makes a good excuse! thanks for that.

12. k20a3 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

John, what would the bio diesel do to the car?

13. honda_saj Banned

United Kingdom saj east london
    have a nice journey enjoy your trip to france safe driving remeber to stay on right side of road :Rolf:

k20a3 likes this.
  14. Smokingman Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John LN5
    @k20a3.
    I'm not sure what bio diesel would do! the little bit I have read:- he is a copy from a forum:-

As your friendly UK fuel representative at Brussels (actually the standards body is called CEN TC19), don't run your diesel car on vegetable oil - it will gum the engine up - and I'll explain why below:
    Diesel (compression ignition) engines are designed to use a petroleum hydrocarbon fuel where there are, on average, 20 carbon atoms in each molecule of the fuel.
    Conventional Diesel is the refinery product we all know, now supplied as an ultra low sulfur fuel, but I'd still hate to get any on my clothes - both the smell and the exhaust smoke come from the sulfur components.
    Vegetable oil is made up from three molecules of a fatty acid chemically bonded by nature to one molecule of Glycerol. If you think of the letter E, the vertical line of the E is the glycerol and the horizontal lines are the three fatty acids.
    It so happens that the natural fatty acids in vegetable oil have between 18 and 22 carbon atoms in them, which is pretty much a perfect mixture for a diesel engine.
    From cold, you cannot start a Diesel engine on vegetable oil - it just won't vaporize or atomize in the cold, but if you pre-heat the vegetable oil or get the engine hot on normal diesel, and then switch to cold vegetable oil, the engine will run OK for a reasonable length of time. Your DIY kit will do one of the above to get over the cold starting problem.
    But the BIG problem is with the Glycerol molecule - in the engine it forms gums and resins - and eventually blocks the injectors or gums up the piston rings - and you will then need an engine overhaul.
    If you do want to run on a vegetable oil based renewable fuel, then you should run what is called bio-diesel. This is a chemically modified form of vegetable oil, where the Glycerol has been stripped away in a simple chemical reaction, leaving just the fatty acid molecules in the fuel.
    Bio-diesel is used in exactly the same way as petroleum diesel, and NO modification needs be made to the engine at all.
    So please, either stick with conventional diesel, or the new diesel with 5% or more of bio-diesel, or some garages sell 100% bio-diesel (like the RIX stations near Hull) in a reasonable attempt at a renewable fuel.
    There is an immediate EU directive for between 5% and 10% of bio-diesel to be added to petroleum diesel throughout Europe.
    If you mix vegetable oil with petroleum diesel, that will get over the cold starting problem, but you still need to be prepared for the expense of the "de-coke" to remove the glycerol resins inside the engine.
    Please do not confuse Bio-diesel with Vegetable Oil, they are not the same thing at all.

honda_saj and k20a3 like this.
  15. mikey77 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I think, on chewing it over, all French diesel certainly does have the EU regulation small percentage of bio in it. But I wouldn't lose any sleep over using it. I've done a quarter of a million miles on French petrol and diesel, mostly from supermarkets, with no issues so far. The only time in memory I ever had a problem with poor fuel was when I was in England - where I never use supermarket fuel - was pushed for time and filled up my Legend coupe at Asda.

honda_saj likes this.
  16. Smokingman Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John LN5
    @mikey77

As per your advise last year and the reply from Honda France I will stick with Total/BP/Shell etc.

John

honda_saj likes this.
  17. k20a3 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the info John... very wise to stick to those fuels :Smile:

honda_saj likes this.
  18. honda_saj Banned

United Kingdom saj east london
    I agree can't go wrong with major brands

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk