Oil leaking in spark plug tube / well

Discussion in 'Honda D-Series' started by i-DSI, Sunday 8th Jul, 2018.

1. i-DSI Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi all,
    I can use some advise for my D16Z5 engine (in a CR-X ED9).
    There's a fair amount of oil sweating on two places:
    - the (outer) valve cover sealing
    - the sealings (O-rings) in the middle of the valve cover
    I bought brand new, Honda original sealings. cleaned everything well, did a small amount of engine oil on the rubbers, tightened to specified torque....
    But the oil is still coming through the O-rings around the spark plugs (on all 4, just like before).
    When changing the rings and spark plugs there was already a fair amount of oil around the plugs, but it will definitely come again. The old ones definitely needed changing as they became hard and brittle.

My question: is it a good idea to add a little (!) liquid gasket on the O-rings of the spark tubes?
    On the picture attached you have an idea of the amount of oil that leaked into the tubes (with the old O-rings). My spark plug key is covered all over in the oil, as is the spark plug.

Thanks for any advice or ideas.

Attached Files:

2. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    mate think I've seen about have a look here

3. i-DSI Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hmmm, no, that's the SOHC version of this engine. Here you have a second O-ring/sealing down under the tube, where it might start to leak. That's what's solved here, not upper O-ring leaking like in the DOHC-version.
    Thanks anyway, but this doesn't help.

andy83 likes this.
  4. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

ok sorry mate if find any more info will let you know..

i-DSI likes this.
  5. i-DSI Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Solved this afternoon. I bought liquid gasket to give that a try. When unbolting I immediately felt that the two 'hidden' bolts underneath the timing cap were not tightened up to specified torque. Those bolts were also closest to the tube with biggest oil leak (cyl. 1). Tightened them up, cleaned the innertubes thoroughly and gave the car a good testdrive. Not a single sign of oil afterwards :Wink:.
    So you see what liquid gasket is good for!! A fix without even opening the package.

6. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

mate glad she sorted....

i-DSI likes this.