General Opinions on a potential purchase

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Heckler, Wednesday 5th Sep, 2018.

1. Heckler Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hi folks

Went to look at an 8th Generation EX saloon today... 126k on the clock, looks tidy, leather is good, no rust around the sunroof, service history to 113k, 2 previous owners. Bodywork tidy with no real visabile marks or dings... although it's silver, so harder to spot minor scratches.

Test drive went well, pulls nicely.. gave it some town driving and some dual carriageway and didn't pull either direction, stopped pretty well. MOT until Feb 2019. Satnav DVD is 2015, so it's been replaced at some point.

Issues I found... front and rear parking sensors not working, front fog light cracked, needs a service and it's missing the space saver in the boot... it's got some mismatched full sized wheel with a nearly new tyre on it... But carpet doesn't sit flush. Front discs are badly lipped and pads are lowish.

I've done some basic price checking and I think it's going to cost around £300-400 to sort all that out... car is priced at £3300 but from what I can tell it's been sat around their lot (right at the back when I got there) as it was originally priced at £4995.

I was talking to them about price and trade in on my 2005 tourer EX... and the cheeky sods only offered me £150... So I walked away... I'd offered them £2700 plus mine and I thought £600 for mine was way too low, but it was near the upper end of my budget (I need to keep a few hundred in reserve for repairs and maintenance).

I was gonna let them sit on it until next week.. and if the car is still there... Offer £2900 and I'll undertake repairs... TBH, I wouldn't want them to carry out a service as I don't know that it's been done right with the correct oil and filter... I'd also want to do a gearbox oil change at the same time.

Does that sound like a reasonable offer to you?

I know I was concerned about the whole DPF thing, but having spoken to others and done some more research... having it professionally cleaned isn't a major expense £200-300, and a brand new one is £650 plus fitting... so not the £1500 I've seen others saying they were charged (obviously aftermarket parts).. So the DPF isn't going to be a problem in my opinion... and the extra MPG's a saloon will give me, plus the 40 a year saving on road tax have swung me over.

But my budget is only £3300 right now, and I need some in reserve for doing the brakes and a service, plus any extra insurance and of course road tax (I pay by DD these days).. The parking sensors can wait a month or two... or if they're the same, I can swap out some of the rears to test the fronts and get one set working and fix the others later... But TBH having parking sensors isn't something I will be ultra worried about fixing immediately. I've never them before, so won't miss them and the reversing camera works perfectly well.

2. Dean Vincent Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Dino London
    The 8th Generation is a better car, simple as.

Heckler likes this.
  3. Bounder Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Huan County Cork
    I'm not so sure, comparing my 2008 7th Generation EX Tourer with my 2013 Type-S Tourer, I do find the ride better handling better but in terms of practicality and nimbleness the 7th Generation was better for me.
    Even with 40hp less and a smaller torque output the 7th Generation seemed more lively somehow, its hard to describe.

Heckler likes this.
  4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

8th Generation is a far superior car but the 7th Generation tourer has better load space.

Heckler and andy83 like this.
  5. Dean Vincent Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

And we have a winner.

Heckler likes this.
  6. k20a3 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sounds like your competent enough doing the work yourself. Look forward to hearing how you get on with this purchase

Heckler likes this.
  7. Accord_N22 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That is about right for a trade in value.
    You will be better off in selling your old 7th Generation privately, there are alot of people out there who are after a cheap estate.

Diesels are a dying breed nowadays hence the dramatic drop in its original asking price.

People are always going to need a diesel for long commutes. Petrol, hybrids or electrics just don't cut it.
    I drive over 2000 miles a month and would not be able to sustain the cost of a petrol car for that mileage.

My current Accord ictid diesel 7th Generation saloon is currently on 188k miles, original turbo, clutch and exhaust and hasn't missed a beat.
    I will run it until i am forced to get rid of it or if something goes bang.

Whats wrong with your 2005 Ex tourer?
    With the way things are going with diesels i would stick with what you have and run it until it goes pop.
    The car is worth very little and so it would benefit you if it still works fine.

Heckler likes this.
  8. Heckler Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm not looking to compare the two gens, having driven the 7th Generation EX tourer for more than 3yrs now... and given that i's 13yrs old and has 172k on the clock... It's time for a change and whilst I'm happy to switch to a saloon... I'm still finding out the 'weak' areas of the 8th Generation. I don't even know how to check that the blutooth works as I couldn't find a setting for it in the menu and given that the 7th Generation had such a major issue with the BT module failing, I want to check it works.

I'll call them next week and make my offer... if they won't take £2900... I might go to £2950 or £3000, that leaves me £350 for immediate maintenance and I can do the parking sensors and fog light in the coming months. but I'm not going a penny more, then I'll put mine up for sale and hope to get as close to £1000 for it as I can.

Nothing major is wrong with mine at the moment. The AC has a leak and I had it checked over and they couldn't find it using dye and a sniffer... Which means it's on a part of the system that's hidden from view. The only way to find it, is to start pulling it apart and replacing seals and the condenser rad... which will cost around £400 or so. The MOT had a few advisories on it to say that the lower control arm bushes at the front were showing signs of deterioration but no play in them as yet, and the same for one of the upper bushes. I can get a couple of control arms new for £130 and the upper bushes for another £30-40 but with labour, we're looking at another £300-400 bill in total.

That means spending close to £800 to fix everything on the car... which puts the car into the 'uneconomical' area. If the body work was in pristine condition and the colour wasn't blue... I'd certainly consider keeping it. But the bumper has a small crack by a headlight and I'd probably need to replace both number plates due to some slight fading. Then throw in a service and new brake pads at the rear. I can afford to do all that, I could even find a replacement bumper and make it look mint. But spending £800 on a car that's barely worth more... Seems like a waste of money to me now. If I sell it and some one else is willing to do those little things.. they'll have a great car. She pulls like a train still and gives me low 40s around town and 50's on a longer run with a loaded car (passengers/luggage).. Current tank has done 470m with about 1/4 left... which will put me into the 550-600m range. Not bad for a big heavy car with that kind of miles on it.

I've done loads to it, last year I had 4 new tyres and all of the wheels powder coated, and there's a full sized spare in the back as well as the compressor. I did the solenoid/valve for the swirl control last year and had the EGR cleaned along with the two airflow sensors last year. She's had oil changes every 7-8k miles and is due another about now, and the gearbox oil was changed the end of last year too. I also replaced the rear brake callipers 18 months ago as one was starting to stick.

She's been one of the most reliable cars I've owned... the 'most' reliable diesel I've ever had and it's why I've been looking hard for a similar replacement. But if I can stretch to an 8th Generation I'd like too. I no longer 'need' a touer, as the reason I bought one was to have extra space for my dads wheelchair, but since he passed away... the extra space is surplus.. very handy to have to transporting stuff.. but no longer 'essential'. If I don't get this one I'll keep looking... MOT until July 19, so no rush... and I can keep saving to improve the budget. I'd like my next car to be less than 10yrs old if possible and last me at least 5yrs.

9. Dean Vincent Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

At that mileage the DPF could go soon - a grand plus to replace.

10. Heckler Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Not anymore, you can get one professionally cleaned and refurbished for around £300 and a new one for around £650

andy83 likes this.
  11. Dean Vincent Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Your call.
    But in my view, you buy cheap, you buy twice.

12. Heckler Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Then you're not buying smart... I've been doing this for almost 30yrs... Only ever bought 2 lemons out of about 17 cars... and 3 of those I bought to break.

Additionally... noticed a missed call on my phone from Friday whilst I was out... from the dealer.

I shall call them Monday to see what they wanted... and perhaps make a lower offer.

13. Dean Vincent Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

That's your opinion. Mine is that buying old cars every couple of years is the least smart thing you can do. Costs money every time to change plus money for repairs.
    Let's see what he says tomorrow.

14. Heckler Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Not an opinion... a statement based on 30yrs of proof. I change my car every 3-4yrs (not every couple like you claim) and it's normally closer to 4 than it is 3... this car is an exception rather than the rule... On average over the last 15 yrs I've spent £1500 per car and over the period of ownership... perhaps an average of 20% of it's purchase price on repairs (not wear and tear because 'every' car suffers that'. The better condition the car and the newer it is, the longer I keep it... But on average I tend to get rid of cars when they become uneconomical to keep. There have been many times were I've overlapped and owned 2 and occasionally 3 cars at the same time. Like my old Beetle/Baja Bug, a Min Clubman Estate and a Vauxhaul Cavalier all at the same time... Or owning a couple of Mazda MX6's and a Renault 19 at the same time... One for work and winter, one for showing off and one for track time.

I've done the math... for 30yrs... The most expensive car I've ever purchased was £3500 and I kept that car for 6 and half years... and the only repairs it ever needed were a drive shaft seal, wheel bearings and a replacement indicator stalk, along with a couple of cooling system hoses that perished... the rest was normal wear and tear items.

So by all means, carry on with the belief that what I call 'bangernomics' doesn't work... But I've saved so much money over the years that my mortgage is almost completely paid of after 9yrs simply by managing my money well and getting the absolute best value vs performance possible from everything I buy... not just cars, I apply it to everything. All it takes is a willingness to spend some time and effort doing proper research into things. :Smile:

I've got friends asking 'me' for advice on cars now because they know I'm a little obsessive about doing research into everything... One who used to spend £3-4000 a year on his cars and now averages £1000 and is still driving around in luxury cars... just older ones.

accord1108 and andy83 like this.
  15. Dean Vincent Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

You can't say you've saved money unless you compare what it's cost you with the cost of other ways of owning cars, such as buying new, or on contract, or buying nearly new, or mid-life. But you don't say a single word about any of that, but still claim to have 'saved'.

Cars cost money, there's no way round that. Multiple ownership costs even more money, no way round that either. The only way to 'save' on cars is not to own one.

The only person I'd ask for advice from on this forum is the guy from Holdcroft who does it for a living. Who regularly advises on here against everyday drivers buying diesels.

Which brings us right back to where we started before you moved the discussion round to it being all about you and what a smart buyer you are. Which is that if you buy this car, you could have to fork out big money on a new DPF. At ten years old it's due to go, and regeneration is only a temporary fix.

So let's see what they offer you.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Correction - refurbishment/cleaing, not regeneration.

16. Smokingman Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom John LN5
    Had my DPF cleaned £600 with a life time warranty at nearly 100K miles, one year on still no issues.

Heckler and andy83 like this.
  17. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    mate how many miles have you clocked up since having it cleaned...

18. Smokingman Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom John LN5
    Nearly 10K.

19. Heckler Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Spoke to the dealer.... they've raised their offer for mine to £500. So I'd be paying £2800, Which is in the ballpark I was thinking of, and saves me from selling mine... But obviously less than I could get selling private.

andy83 likes this.
  20. Heckler Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I did some searching the other day on the price of a new one.... £650