Parents & Tattoos

Discussion in 'Steam Room' started by Tye21, Tuesday 8th Mar, 2016.

1. Tye21 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Evening everyone! 

So not sure if a steam room topic as Im not like angry, just a bit annoyed. 

So I'm wanting another tattoo but my Mum is properly against it. 

When I was 18 I went and got a massive chest piece done (from shoulder to shoulder) and is very easily hidden under most forms of clothing unless wearing a vest. Back then my Dad was cool with it (having tattoos himself) and said I was of age and it was my body. Mum literally cried for a good day saying I ruined my body and didnt really converse with me much for the next few days. 

Now, 3 years on (nearly 4), I am looking at getting another one, albeit in a bit more of a showy place (elbow) but even mentioning the fact I want another tattoo she goes a little bit angry. Now Im thinking, hang on, Im 21, I have one already why is it different this time around?!

The tattoo I want to get has great meaning to me (as does the first one) but my mother is like completely against it. I still haven't spoken to my Dad yet as he is away with work. I live at home and don't have the finances to even think about moving out. I have a good job and no real reason to move out yet, not with the current prices houses around my way are going for. 

Unsure on how to tackle this as I wanted to get this for my birthday (as a present to myself) for my 22nd. I'm thinking maybe sitting the pair down and talking it through with them?

Wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences or even this exact issue! 

Thanks,

T

2. haggis Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You'll never have the money to move out if you keep spending your money on frivolous things like tattoos

Don't understand the wanting to graffiti ones body, but whatever floats your boat

3. Tye21 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

When you're on a bit of a shite salary and the fact to move out I would need at least a £20k deposit (I wouldn't rent either as its dead money) is kind of the reason why I got into cars. 

I don't drink or go clubbing so for now, I spend it on cars and would like to spend it on some tattoos. 

4. N24NTY Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

You're 21 man, if you want a tattoo, get a :tut: tattoo. 

Unless it's a butterfly or a shooting star, then spend your money on a vagasil instead.

Vagasil, is that right. The glittery fanny thing?

5. haggis Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Honestly, all I hear there is a bunch of excuses dude.

Why do you need £20k deposit? You want to move out of your parents house into a £200,000 house straight off the bat? Granted I don't know anything about the area, but a quick search on rightmove with a 20 mile radius of Romford shows a couple of flats in the £60,000 range...that would be a £6k down at the most, £3k if you could get a place on a 95% mortgage like I did

Renting isn't dead money, that's not a good way to look at things at all. I moved into a rented place out of my parents when I was 23, granted I didn't have a choice as I moved 5000 miles over the Atlantic and didn't have family to stay with. It gives you a good insight into what things will be like when you do get the money together for a place of your own...if you're sensible enough with your money then you can save for a deposit while you're renting too. I managed it, and I was spending $1500/month on rent with utilities, internet, insurance on top of that...no car payments as i drove about in an old banger allowing me to save money and put down 5% on a $360,000 home less than 3 years later.

Friend of mine moved out of his parents at 16 with nothing more than a skillseekers wage and a couple of odd jobs on the side, lived in shared apartments for a while and knuckled down, got himself an apprenticeship and worked his ass off to get where he is now.

Why are you on a shite salary? Don't you have any want/need to further your career so you can afford to do nice things when and how you want? I left school with a handful of S-Grades (i think you call them GCSEs or something) and one Higher (A-Level) - I worked 2 jobs when I was 19/20, and also went to college through that for my apprenticeship. sure I didn't have free time, but I was debt free right up until I left Scotland, and built an H22 EJ6 and JRSC EP3 in the process.

It's way too easy to say "I can't", you need to look at the big picture and what you really want from your life, and don't wind up living in your parents place when you're 35 and only having a banged up old Honda and some tattoos to show for yourself

ahahahahahah, this is the best thing i've read all day!

6. CIVIT Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I live in Romford and there ain't no 60k kennels in this area let alone flats.

Tats.... go look at someone with 30 / 40 year old work and then decide.

7. naDiel Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Now T... I would agree with @N24NTY you are :tut: 22 soon son!

If you like a tattoo just go and f*cking get it.

End of the day you are of adult age and that's it. You're not 'rebelling' or anything - just making decisions for yourself.

Although I have to agree with @haggis - don't make excuses - work hard towards the goals you set yourself. And set them high but within reasonable time distance. I moved to UK When I was 22 with near enough no job but some education and all the GCSE and A-level equivalents were worth nothing. 

That did't stop me though and wven if I am not working in the field that I would like to I am very close to that kind of operations and I've just been put for progression to where I like to work!

8. graham27 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I couldn't afford to move out, so I moved out to an area where I could afford to move out - can guarantee I make less money than most on here but still get by and have the cars and things I want. If a tattoo is what you really want though just do it - my brother recently got his actual ear tattood, beyond me, but once it's done it's done, was his choice, he'll regret it and we'll laugh. Everyone's different but I've been lucky in that my parents have always backed what I've done even if it's totally retarded

Last edited by a moderator: Wednesday 9th Mar, 2016
  9. Tye21 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Wow,

I didnt expect so many people to comment on this! 

Agreed with @CIVIT I don't know where exactly you have found £60K for a place in the Romford area. Where I live is like smack bang between East London & Essex and house prices here are very high! I mean youre looking at £200k min for a 2 bed house. 

Don't get me wrong, I would love to save for a place but right now my priorities are to finish my forever going car project and then hopefully do a few big holiday abroad (Oz, Japan & Cali).

As for looking at those with Tatts from 30-40 years back, I know what they look like, my Grandad has one. It has faded but he was in the Navy and regrets it now. BUT Ink Pigmentation has developed much much better over the years making them last a lot longer. Even if they start to face I would go for a touch up :Smile:  no problems there. 

As for qualifitcations @haggis I have 13 GCSEs, 1 AS Level, 2 A Levels and a Lvl 3 Extended Diploma in Business Studies haha .. I currently work as a Marketing Assistant for a local Insurance Brokers (4 miles from my house) and it's convenient. I've applied for other jobs that pay more but have heard :tut: all lol. I'm one of these people that doesnt really know what they want to do in life. 

I mean I started off at 16 working as a Labourer, then at 17 managed to get a job at Screwfix (like B&Q) and then at 19 I managed to secure the job where I am at now :Smile:

As for the whole tattoo situation I think I will sit down with my Dad once he comes back and just see what he thinks about it :Smile:  

10. Kyron Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just do it , it's your body. Your mum will probably only moan for a week or two and it'll be back to happy livings then on, until you get another that is lol.

make sure it's something you want though and won't regret, I'm sure these :tut: with tattoos on their faces will soon regret their decisions.

11. Tye21 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Any tattoo I get is usually planned for a while :Smile:  I planned the chest piece for years before I done it at 18. Will I regret it - Never. It has deep meaning so will the next one. 

As for placement I am aware there is still a taboo in society about them and for that reason I will get them in areas that are easy to cover :Smile:

12. Kyron Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've been thinking about a tattoo for years, no idea on placement lol 

So may just forget about it.

13. naDiel Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Got 4 and plans for about 10 more lol... 

When they happen though is a different story. They are to be done only if I can meet my savings goals :Smile:

14. N24NTY Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I don't have any tattoos, I wouldn't say I'd never get one though. I've just never had a t-shirt I've liked enough to wear for the rest of my life, so dunno what I'd want.

15. GBH72 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Jeeze .. Deep stuff .. 

As others have said, if you want it, get it. My parents and grandparents hit the roof when they first saw my sleeve. But they're cool about it now. My ONLY rule with tattoo's is that they are coverable. Thats it. Im a finance manager, so can't rock about with my daughters initials on my neck. 

Priorities and houses -- You've obv not got your priorities straight yet, which, at your age, isnt that bad a thing. But in the next 3-4 years you need to be looking at setting some clear goals with clear time lines. Otherwise your gunna be that 35 year old living with mum n dad .. 

16. Tye21 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Same here that is my only rule. Im not stupid to go and tattoo my hands (as much as I'd want to).

As for prioraties, I think they are pretty straight for now. Just enjoy life. I have no real need to move out or to buy a house. Like the way I see if I have no major commitments, no kids, no misses, no finance or huge bills to pay. 

When I was with my Ex we looked at moving out, and with our combined wage (which isnt too far off what I earn now) we would just about clear rent, utilities and food, with sod all left for social spending. 

Without sounding like a complete :tut: here, I wouldn't want to put my self in a situation where I am literally scraping by not when I don't have to. I've always worked hard for what I want, never relied on other people much. I've said to both my parents that nearer the age of 25 is when I will start saving for a house, and the reason for this is so that I can actually live a little and not - work, pay bills then die. 

17. naDiel Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Dude how much do you earn then? Not being noisey just wondering how that works out... I mean... That situation was literally me back in Poland before I moved over to UK.

Since then I can afford to live the life a little with having a kid, save for a house and still contribute towards the car or going out with the missus or taking the little one out somewhere...

Must be the area you live in then as I can not comprehend how low of a wage you must be to have it so hard with so much education behind.

18. Tye21 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sorry that came out wrong! lol my earnings now arent far off what I earnt a few years back when I was with my Girlfriend. 

Well, I work as a Marketing Assistant for an Insurance Broker in town. I'm no more than 30 miles out from Central London haha but I can't do trains. 

Wage I'm on now is 16k Salary. :Smile:  I have tried looking at other jobs but unsure what to go for next! That and it needs to be something I can get to by public transport :Tongue:

19. Kadir Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I don't get tattoos myself although I did like Michael Scofield's tattoo in Prison Break!

Why not get what you want drawn onto canvas and just have it framed and mounted in your room? Should be just as meaningful.

If it is causing your Mum upset, I don't think it is worth it. 

20. Tye21 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Kadir, without sounding selfish here, its not my mums body nor money for her to say no. I mean my Dad has a few and she didnt stop him. 

I just feel like she is over-controlling in the matter. I mean I am fully aware of the consequences of it being permanent.