Fuel Efficiency Petrol vs Diesel CR-V fuel economy

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by FirstHonda, Friday 27th Nov, 2015.

1. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Fresh egg on the throttle pedal ( only needed if co- pilot absent)

Ichiban and honda_saj like this.
  2. richardhonda Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom richard Manchester
    Petrol CR-V. I get about 20mpg driving lots of very short journeys in town, (half a mile or so :Frown: ), and about 3 miles to and from work. Last weekend, drove from Manchester to Farnborough and back, and got 40mpg.

FirstHonda and Racy Jace like this.
  3. Racy Jace Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Jason Dudley, UK
    I took a trip to Drayton Manor and got 39.1. I think that's the best yet for me.

IMG_20170531_180231.

4. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    From my own experience and others on here, there is no doubt that petrol auto CR-Vs far prefer the longer journeys as far as fuel consumption is concerned. The difference on mine is marked being between 4 and 5mpg.

Keith

FirstHonda and Racy Jace like this.
  5. FirstHonda Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Ed Wiltshire
    Totally agree Keith. 100 miles plus - driven responsibly - 40mpg plus is easy. 10 miles though, more like 30-33 MPG. 5 miles, 25mpg.

That's my experience.

Racy Jace likes this.
  6. MikeM-271048 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy Mike Bruno
    Same with the 160BHP diesel!

FirstHonda likes this.
  7. FirstHonda Moderator Staff Team

No doubt that my economy has dropped since I started using standard Morrisons petrol, but given my mileage now it just doesn't seem worth buying premium at 7-10p a litre more.

On my daily 15 mile trip to work - all on sub-b country roads - at a steady 40-50 mph and with no traffic, I get an easy 36mpg. With some additional thought I can get that to 38-40mpg. I guess with premium fuel it would go to 42-44 MPG.

My overall average (well, I've never re-set the computer) in 19k miles is 34.9mpg. However, that has been falling steadily over the past year since I stopped doing weekly 100 mile runs at 40mpg plus. At one stage, the average was 37-38 after I'd had the car for a year or so.

8. Lisbon Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Reading
    Personally, I've had enough of driving my CR-V like there's a box of eggs on the roof and watching the disappointing MPG figures. I've gone back to driving as I want, when I want and have switched the info screen to the space clock.

FR-V and 155695 like this.
  9. Ralphk Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom RK Malvern
    I have now covered over 5,000 miles in the last year in the 1.6 diesel auto and the fuel consumption is averaging out at 41 to 43 MPG. This is over a mixed mileage of back and forward to the golf club which is 6 miles and within a tank of fuel a couple of 100 miles journeys as well. The major effect seems to be the ambient temperature in that the warmer it is the better the fuel consumption. I am more concerned with the pairing of the 9 speed box to the engine. When warm its fine but until then the box seems very ponderous and when açelerating from stand still out of a junction it can be downright dangerous as it attempts to change from 1st to 2nd.

FirstHonda and Lisbon like this.
  10. FirstHonda Moderator Staff Team

I've said before - many times - that the obsession with 8/9/10 speed automatic gearboxes, whether 'double clutch' or not, is more about fooling emissions tests than it is about drivability. My experiences with them are the same as yours Ralph, especially the hesitation when pulling out of a junction, and a seemingly unsettled constant 'hunt' for the 'right' gear.

None of the options I've driven, from Honda or VAG, are as good as either a traditional torque converter gearbox with 4 or 5 speeds, or better still, a properly driven CVT (i.e. Not driven by a motoring journalist who floors the throttle and then complains about the rise in revs).

andy83 likes this.
  11. FirstHonda Moderator Staff Team

3 tanks of BP Ultimate unleaded in a row, and economy has jumped up - over the same commute - by 3-4 MPG. The engine does also feel smoother and more responsive when compared with weeks of running on Morrisons standard unleaded.

12. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    I'm beginning to believe there is some substance to the argument that the BP/Shell petrol gives a better mileage over the supermarket equivalents. My Black Edition had the same model of engine and gearbox as the new one and I ran that entirely on Tesco standard fuel. The new one I have run entirely on BP standard petrol from new and (as Ed has found) I have an improvement of 3-4 MPG over the Black Edition. Mind you that is on the standard BP petrol and not the Ultimate.

The downside of course is that the BP petrol is invariably a few pence a litre more expensive than the supermarkets'. How that works out as value for money, I haven't got a clue

Keith

13. MikeM-271048 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy Mike Bruno
    Me either, but I have read it will have some positive impact on engine life and maintenance costs.

14. 1066Boy Premium Member Club Supporter

My old Shogun run like a sick pig on supermarket fuel. Poor starting and economy.
    After a tankful of BP it was like a new engine. :Smile:

15. Racy Jace Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Jason Dudley, UK
    My new record! I'd of got a slightly higher figure if I hadn't of over took a horse box!
    IMG_20170812_121221.

16. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cyprus Panos Nicosia
    When I drive, I have different styles. one is the fuel saving style, the other would be the normal style, and the last would be the performance style. That makes my economy figure highly volatile. I need to plot it in an excel graph for presentation purposes if anyone is interested :Smile:. Not really.

17. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    On a long run in "Eco" I can achieve 40 fairly easily. My problem is I rarely do long runs so have to make do with an average of 36 ish, all in "Eco" of course.

Keith

Racy Jace likes this.
  18. Ralphk Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom RK Malvern
    I have now turned off the screen which shows the fuel consumption I àm achieving as I found myself driving for economy rather than enjoying the cars performance. I probably lose about 2 or 3 MPG but the difference when I fill up is minor compared to the pleasure I get from driving the car, despite the criticisms I have about the nine speed box. I also find myself putting the car into sport mode when moving off as it stops some of the constant gear changes. Try it yourself but remember to slip it into normal drive when you get up to speed.