General Powering dash cam via USB cable in the car?

Discussion in 'Lounge & Gossip' started by Galgo, Thursday 9th Jul, 2015.

1. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I recently bought an Anker PowerDrive 2 which converts my 12v cigar lighter socket into two USB ports.

According to the specs, it can deliver up to 2.4 amps and 24w per port.

I know that USB is 5v, and the adapter I've got converts the 12v from the car and outputs 2x 5v.

My question is this: if I bought a dash cam, can I safely power it via a USB cable that goes into my Anker PowerDrive 2?

Thanks!

2. ArcticFire Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Should be fine, I use 1A fuses in my add-a-circuits for dash cams and they don't blow. Current draw is very small for dash cams.

Galgo likes this.
  3. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Awesome, cheers. :Grin:

4. Chunkylover53 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

As mentioned above you will have no problems with power, if you are using the Mini series of cameras bear in mind that a power only USB cable is used (if the cable is capable of transferring data the cameras tend to boot into USB mode which prevents recording).

Last edited: Monday 13th Jul, 2015
  5. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Still haven't decided which camera to get, but have seen that it's possible to buy a charge-only USB cable so I'll be getting that instead of using a random USB cable from home.

I've seen some people taping up connectors on their USB cables and even cutting them and shorting two wires. But, I think it's nicer and cleaner to just get a ready-made cable. We're only talking about five quid or so, it ain't going to break the bank lol

6. ArcticFire Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I didn't realise that with the mini series, I thought the base station was power only and you have to connect to the port in the actual camera for data transfer?

7. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard T Milton Keynes
    As others have said, yes you can. Both of the cameras in the Civic are powered by a 12v to 5v USB convertor and it powers them both absolutely fine
    - - - Updated - - -
    If you really want to be sure, plug a USB cable into the convertor and use a multimeter to test the voltage before connecting it up to the camera